“Clean with character”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gyor
Romantik Hotel Schweizerhof
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Gyor
“Clean with character”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Ok hotel. Rooms and decor are both very outdated, but everything works. Breakfast was ok, nothing great and nothing bad. Wifi worked surprisingly well even in rooms. Only German and hungarian tv channels - missed seing just one hour of tv in English ;-) The hotel location is excellent for city exploration in Gyor - right at the heart. Parking is available, but through very narrow streets and in the hotel basement.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

• Hungarian first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed March 22, 2013

"tired" would probably be the best way to describe the status of this hotel. It is clean and you'll find everything you need, but just not the latest version of it. Everything in the hotel shows evident signs of wear! The hotel's restaurant is currently closed for renovations... good call! hopefully they will extend this to the rest of the hotel soon!
The hotel is very well located at the center of the old town, close to the monastery and right in the pedestrian area. If you see your hotel room as this place where you'll spend a few hours to sleep and then you'll be out working or touring... then this place is probably a good deal.
Not all rooms have an easy access to internet... make sure to check this out with the reception as you check in! Also... walls are kind of thin... so if you are interested by the "romantik" part of the hotel's name...others will know

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BtravelEU
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

It has excellent location. Very close to the heart of the city, the Gothic style square and the cozy bars. My room was in the loft so had no heating problem despite my colleagues who stayed on the first floor but they solved the problem the next day. Breakfast is worth the money you pay...

• Stayed October 2012
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed August 22, 2011

It is not at all romantik. The hotel is poor but clean one .At 6am you are awake by the people who are cleaning the town. We also did not have access to the hotel parking garage because the entrance it is very small and blocked by table whom belong to other restaurant and the front desk staff was not enaugh trained to manage the situation and to offer us other option, the lady told us just to find a parking place outside of the oldcity .... Knowing that this is a very good quality hotel in swizerland i was dissapointed by the Gyor Romantik hotel. Also the breakfast was very poor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Ioana C

Travelers are raving about these Gyor hotels

Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I stayed here in last January for 2 nights and I must say, I wasn't very impressed.
This really surprised me after the reviews I have read here.

I'll start with the bad new and end in a positive note.

Coming in, immediately alarmbells went off.
The place is filled with tacky furnishings.
You have bronze dragons resting on turkoise pilars on the ceiling every 50 centimeters.
The place is so dark and grim because there's no proper lighting.
Overall not a very welcoming impression for a hotel.

I had a “suite” for single use and ended up dragging my luggage up to the 2nd floor since for the most expensive rooms apparentely the hotel doesn't find it necessary to have a lift.

Entering the room, I must say I laughed for lets say 20 minutes.
The room, obviously has been completely been made by someone who thinks he's a crafts man (my guess is it was the extremely charismatic man who couldn't care less about his guests while standing behind the bar fixing the coffee dispenser).

The doors didn't close completely since there were gaps so not properly installed which caused the rooms to be draughty and cold like the rest of the hotel.
The fact that there was no heating at all for the most of the day didn't really help.

For the rest, it wasn't very clean.
When pushing the cover on the bed away, the bed looked like it had already been slept in.
The linnen was not ironed, even badly creased and didn't smell very fresh at all.
There were enough hairs on the duvet to make your own wig.
I find this a bit sad thinking that they advertise that they have their own laundry, if I would be giving this result, I would be very quiet about it so I could blame someone else.

About breakfast: coffee undrinkable (the handyman mentionned earlier tried to repair and did a very good job about it).
For the rest, the quality and choice of the breakfast wasn't much but this didn't surpise me that much anymore.

Staff isn't very friendly but I can understand this very well because I would give myself 4 weeks max before I would get depressed if working in this hotel.

Overall, I can't imagine a place like this being given 4 stars at this present day.

So the good things.
Their restaurant across the road is actually very good and I cannot say a bad thing about the service and the food we were given there, so the restaurant, I can very much recommend.

The location of the hotel was quite good too, it was on a 10 minute walk from the thermes, the reason we made a stop in Gyor.
When coming to Gyor, you really must go to the Thermes.
It's very cheap, clean and not too busy (not in the winter on a weekday anyway).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Viky1983
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 31, 2009

This hotel is excellently positioned in the centre of Gyor's old town (although interesting to find during Gyor's annual wine festival). Our room was spacious and well furnished. Staff were especially helpful and pleasant. The breakfast was very good, one of the best we found in more than 8 weeks of touring central Europe. The best surprise was the excellence of the hotel's 4-star restaurant - a memorable dinner. Unfortunately it was shut for 2 of the 3 nights we stayed, so we can say with confidence, this was the best restaurant in Gyor. Overall extremely good value for what we received.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheCr00ks
The Hague
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Cozy litlle place in the very centre of Gyor. There are incredibly good and cheap spa services. The rooms could do with some renovation, though.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple