“Good place to stay at”
Review of Alabardos Panzio

Alabardos Panzio
Ranked #6 of 24 Esztergom B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

I liked this place: The room was clean and the interior was very tasteful. Breakfast offered a good selection for a B&B.
The only reason why it's not a five is that I was missing the "wow effect" and my window was towards a gangway so people could look inside when curtains weren't closed.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Coyote_Globetrotter

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Alabardos Panzio offers 5 star accomodations at 3 star prices. I might be somewhat biased being an Hungarian-American nevertheless both the accomodations. breakfast, and personnel were superb. The owner Sandor is a very friendly guy and so is his wife, Erika. The location is great - most of the historical city is right around the corner, The Csulok Csarda restaurant just around the corner offers both Hungarian and international cuisine - the Hungarian food was one of the best we had in Hungary. If you are not bashful, you can approach Sandor for some Hungarian palinka (brandy).
My overall assessment: the best place for your money.
B.Z. Horvath
Bahama, North Carolina
USA

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bela H
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This pension is in a good location is Esztergom with great views towards the basilica. Our room was at the top, in the roofspace, and was very very hot, fortunately we were supplied with an electric fan. The room was a good size but you had to be careful with head clearance.

Breakfast was a cheerful communal meal with the other guests, simple fare but plenty of fresh eggs and jams.

We had a bit of a wait when we arrived, because we were later than planned and there was nobody there to let us in - if you are in this posiition then try to let them know. There was no special storage for bicycles but the panzio has an enclosed courtyard.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank monxton
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is a decent place in a good location. Good breakfast and good room - all good for the price. I could not give it a better score because of the owner - very uncommunicative. Taciturn. Woman better but neither tuned in to extending a welcome to a tourist. On my three week trip, this is the only stay where I did not feel in the remotest welcome.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Whereas some may think of this place as good value for money, my experience was mediocre at best. No airco, small, room with cheap, worn out furniture and not quiet at all since the lack of airco forces you to open the window at night. The owner speaks no English at all, just a few words of German. The location is good, but you might want to consider visiting Esztergom during a day trip (in combination with Szentendre) and return to Budapest in the evening.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Alabardos panzio for one night at the beginning of July.
This is a charming and very well located B&B,with a very short walk from the Basilica. The room was spacious and clean and it was ready when we arrived at 10 am. I have found nothing significant to complain about as everything looked exactly like it did on the photos, if not better, which is rare. Breakfast was served in a big dining room that loked more like a family breakfast room, the selection some people my say was poor but it was more than enough for us.
One thing people need to keep in mind is this is no a hotel, but a family run B&B and I had the impression the family actually lived on the premises. There is no reception as such and no massive breakfast buffet or any luxury mod cons in the rooms but perhaps people who complain for the lack of these should stay at a 4 star hotel and pay the price for that. Also the owner was lovely- I cannot comment on her English as I speak Hungarian. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TimeaRose
Reviewed November 17, 2011

This is a typical family-run pension in Eastern Europe. The room (and others I saw on the hall) were very generous in size, furnished simply in a rather eclectic style, and very clean. Expect surprisingly nice bed linens, very thin towels and a large pumper of liquid hand soap. Simple is the catch phrase.

A highlight was the very friendly husband and wife team who run the place. We had a bit of a language barrier, but we handled the basics of checking in, wi-fi passwords, room rate, time for breakfast and instructions to negotiate the outside gate. The room and the included breakfast was about $33 for a single person. Day one of breakfast was a generous spread of meats, tomato, cucumber, eggs, bread, spreads, etc. Day two was more simple, but still did the trick and matched what I received at other small pensions in the country.

The panzio has a pleasant courtyard and is tucked off the main road - very centrally located to the castle and museums.

One minor disappointment was that they had accepted some laundry, but it was not washed when I went to check out. They apologized and offered to start it, but I was scheduled to leave town after breakfast. This was not a big deal for me AT ALL, but if you are getting extra services, you might need to be a bit more diligent then I was in following up.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are on the main road. The single pane windows were on the noisy side, so if you a...