“recommended!”

Ranked #14 of 25 Esztergom B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“recommended!”
Reviewed May 16, 2008

We stayed in this hotel on our bike tour to Budapest. Nice views from the balcony. Rooms and bathrooms are fine. The hotel is family friendly and accommodates bicycle tourists (they have a garage in the back where you can lock your bike). There are more Hungarian tourists than foreigners (which we liked). Staff speaks excellent English and is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet is very good, the atmosphere in the breakfast room is lively. It can get busy, but service is fine and we liked it a lot. The location is also perfect, steps to the basilica and right by the Danube.

• Liked — breakfast, location, balcony
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ccircc

Solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed November 28, 2006

As I crossed the Danube by boat from the Slovak side, not knowing what to expect, I immediately saw the hotel. Upon asking, I was informed it was the only one in the city (there are pensions). So I said what the heck, and was pleasantly surprised by the very low price, about $30 dollars at the time.

The room was fine, clearly not luxury, but having an old style character I like. There were no problems with the bath, either.
It was quite convenient for seeing the small city, but leaving by bus for Budapest, it was about a 20 minute walk to the bus stop.

However, overall, the hotel was a convenient surprise ( I found out about the small boat crossing on the Slovak side from a fellow traveler - so took a shot), and I will stay there again if I get the chance.

I definitely think staying one night in Esztergom was worthwhile, rather than a daytrip from Budapest. I had a wonderful, long walk along the Danube.

• Liked — Price, convenience
  • Disliked — Couldn't get view of Danube
  • Tips/Secrets — The boat crossing is a good way to get to the Slovak Republic
  • Stayed July 2003
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Mike-Wiesner
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 26, 2005

This hotel is fine. It may not be the most romantic or special of hotel experiences, but it's handy for the town, the basilica and for the ferry terminal. As my companion was near crippled with mosquito bites, we were more than glad to see it's not-so-pretty 70's exterior as we rounded the corner from the Danube.

The room was large and clean. The furniture was somewhat dated, there's a faded 3 star grandure which I liked, I could imagine the old communists spending their hols there! The mini bar was reasonably priced for water etc, but we did hve a bad wine experience, which the staff delt with fine.

The staff were polite & helpful. One in particular was fluent in English, and very efficent and organised. We had booked online & had no confirmation, but he was expecting us, and even made a joke about not being able to tell gender from a typed name.

Breakfast was nothing special, and we didn't try the resturant. Instead we ate in a very good value for money bar up the hill from the hotel on the left.

We enjoyed our short stay in Esztergom, especially walking over the bridge to look at Slovakia, and the Basillica and it's views are amazing. I would recomend the boat trip from Budapest. Don't be put off by it's duration, it's breathtaking & very relaxing. We caught the train back to Budapest. Brand new rolling stock, so clean, quick & comfortable, but nowhere near as picturesque as the boat ride.

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Yorkshire
Reviewed September 16, 2004

Dandubious Beta - Even with a confirmation in my hand, albeit not backed by a creditcard guarentee, (because I wasn't asked for one). I was told a room was not available. Not what you want to hear at 19:45 on a wet cold evening after a long day travelling. The receptionist was a kindly man and phoned a pension for us.
The building's exterior was modern and ugly, located near the center of town by the river but not with any special view and I cannot say anymore except I would not trust a reservation here again and it has put me off the Danubius Chain.

• Stayed July 2004
7 Thank Will_Travelll

Travelers are raving about these Esztergom hotels