“300 Year Old Hotel with Uncaring Incompetent Management”

Senator House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Eger
London
“300 Year Old Hotel with Uncaring Incompetent Management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2006

In October 2006 I booked a 5 day stay at the hotel by phone, confirming it by e-mail 2 days before my arrival. During the final part of our negotiations, the owner András Cseh raised the price of the room by about 15%, assuring me that I would get a nice double room. Yet when I arrived, he had no record of my booking. I insisted and showed him a written copy of my e-mail and his confirmation, and after some delay he offered me a room.

Unfortunately the room offered was dreadful and in my opinion only worthy of a 1 star hotel. It was in the attic and the sloping roof meant that I found the room claustrophobic with about one third unusable. The furniture was so old it seemed to be from the Communist period, or perhaps it was pre war. There was no cupboard to hang clothes just a rail with a curtain. When I protested at the room, he replied that the building was 300 years old and so I should not expect much. He was uncaring and unapologetic about my predicament; I could either take the awful room at the higher price or leave it and fend for myself. I found alternative accommodation but because my stay included the bank holiday of 23 October (I was unaware of the bank holiday at the time of the booking) it was a serious hassle to find and it required me to move between 2 hotels. It was a horrible way to start my holiday.

Postscript: I made my booking at the Senator House Hotel on the strength of 3 positive reviews in Trip Adviser. It is strange that my experience is so different from those of the other guests. The only explanation I can offer is that the 3 positive reviews all stayed in the hotel annex, which may be a pleasant modern building (I did not see it). By contrast, I was offered a room in the original 300 year old hotel building, which was awful. Even if you stay in the modernised annex, remember that the dining-room etc is still in the old part of the hotel. Personally, I would not want to risk booking a hotel, which forgets written bookings made 2 days ago and then offers either an awful room or for guests to fend for themselves.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — They forgot my booking and then offered me an awful room
  • Tips/Secrets — What happened to me might happen to you
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
7 Thank Honest_Dude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2006

The Senator House was the best hotel we encountered in Hungary and I would highly recommend the place. It is a small hotel located directly on the square. The rooms are a good size. They also run an excellent restaurant.

The staff, all of them, are extremely service oriented. Watching them work, you see they take absolute pride in what they do. Staff is friendly, helpful, courteous, and seem generally pleased with their job. I have rarely encountered such a staff of people in my travels who work so well together. Just amazing to see.

We stayed for 2 nights and then returned for a final night in Hungary. I would recommend staying here while visiting Eger.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Albuquerque
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2006

The Senator House is a charming small hotel with a staff that seem like family. They were extremely accomodating allowing us to check into one room when we arrived early (there were 6 of us in 3 double rooms) and permitting us to leave our luggage in the hotel on our departure day from late morning until early evening when we were catching a train. We ate two meals in the restaurant and both were of excellent quality with fine service. The hotel has a wonderful location with historic sites and pedestrian shopping areas nearby. The rooms were comfortable. I would recommend staying at the Senator House without reservation.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank travelon10
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2005

My wife and I stayed here for two nights, 9/7-9/9/05. We give it very high marks and recommend it strongly.

The Senator Haz has a terrific location on a picturesque little square right below the castle and near the river. This small square opens into the larger main square and is therefore very convenient to most sights. However, if you arrive by train, as we did, you will need to take a taxi because it is just too far to walk, especially with luggage (this would be true of most hotels in Eger).

The hotel is associated with an excellent restaurant (highly recommended also) of the same name. There may be some rooms in the original building, but most are in two annexes. Our room (#3) was in a brand-new building just across a quiet lane from the main hotel. This new 2-storey annex is designed to fit in with the older architecture surrounding it and is quite cute. The rooms are centered around a small central courtyard. Our 2nd-floor room was large, tastefully decorated, quiet, and comfortable. There was no elevator. Our room had an entry area that was separate from the bedroom and contained a credenza, desk, and a settee that was by a window with a partial view of the castle. The bedroom was large, and contained a dresser, end tables, another desk, and a mini-bar. There was one window with the same view as that in the entry area. An unusual feature for a European hotel was a walk-in closet with a built-in armoire. The room was air-conditioned, but we did not need it. The beds were firm and comfortable.

The bathroom was nicely tiled and had a skylight. It was nicely appointed with adequate shelf and storage space. There was a small corner shower (no tub).

Breakfast was buffet style in the hotel restaurant with a very pleasant view of the square. The selection was very adequate – self-serve coffee, juice, limited fresh fruit, cereal, bread, meat & cheese, hard-boiled eggs, etc.

The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. For example, when we told the owner we had to leave early to catch our train to Budapest, he arranged for a cab to pick us up the next morning, and let us eat breakfast early. All in all, the Senator Haz was a terrific value and we wish we could have stayed another night. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2005
14 Thank NaMakani
Clinton, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2005

Last summer I was at the Senator, stayed in the new wing and enjoyed the comfort of a large room with air conditioning. The good-sized bathroom was spotless, as was the entire room. A computer hookup was available two rooms away, with a modest charge for its use. Breakfast is part of the charge for the room, and is served in the morning. Since I did not get up until after the noon hour, I was most pleased to be offered my free breakfast whenever I chose. I could order whatever I wished. A homemade jam, made by the owner's wife, was wonderfully delicious. The desk service, the waiters, everyone responded to requests promptly and courteously. I was very comfortable and felt at home at the Senator Haz. It's location is delightful, opening onto a square with outdoor restaurants, shops, and even live music. I have already made my reservation there for another visit to Eger in March of 2005.

• Stayed January 2005