Hotel Lycium
Centrum Hotel(Debrecen)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Priceline
All reviewstop floorswimming poolnice hotelroom serviceunderground parking lotstayed here for three nightsnice wellnesswellness areathe main streetcentral locationcold meatstv channelsother hotelsrooms are cleanwifisaunareception
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I will start off this review by saying that I don't like Western box-type hotels and I usually choose not to stay in them, however I was on a business trip so I had little choice of hotel.

I arrived at this hotel around 9pm after a long train journey and working day in Budapest. Upon entering the hotel, it appears so soul-less. You are greeted by a long corridor, a reception area devoid of any personality, and a Hertz car rental.

There is no sign of anything welcoming or communal like a bar or restaurant area. When you go up in the lift, it arrives next to a set of concrete stairs and it took me a couple of minutes to realise I needed my key card to get through the door into the second floor rooms.

My room was fine - completely plain, with two single beds. As soon as I opened the door the room was roasting hot - it is unseasonably warm in Hungary at the moment so I switched on the aircon to cool things down. Unfortunately nothing happened and I slept badly during the night as it was so hot.

There was no room service menu in my room, nor any proper guest services booklet - I went down to reception and queried this and apparently there should have been one. The receptionist offered to phone the restaurant for me but by this point it was late and I decided against it.

Before going to sleep I tried to plug my ipad into recharge and I could not get power from any of the sockets. Clearly something happened during the night as when I awoke it was 80% charged.

In the morning, whilst doing my ablutions on the loo, the bathroom door swung continuously into me - the entrance to the bathroom is badly designed. Now I realise you could shut the door but when I'm travelling solo I don't always feel the need to do so.

When I checked out no-one asked me whether I had enjoyed my stay, so I made a point of complaining about the heat in the room. I was told that the aircon does not work from beginning of October and now there is just heating, and I should have opened the window (when I arrived the previous evening it was not clear in the dark that the window was the type that opened, and I had assumed that it didn't open as is often the case).

The person who checked me out did nothing more than mumble at me and it was left to another receptionist to apologise for the inconvenience with the heating.

I didn't enjoy this hotel experience and as my primary purpose was getting a good night's sleep before another day in the office, I left in a grumpy mood and very tired.

Location wise, the hotel appears to be ideally situated close to the centre of Debrecen - as I didn't know where I was, I got a taxi to the office - actually it was two minutes away in the car so I could have walked had I had more time to orientate myself. So in that respect it is very handy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank woganmog
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Hotel is well situated, within walking distance of the tram (which I needed to transfer to the university for meetings) and the historic Great Reformed Church of Debrecen. Comfortable bedroom, excellent breakfast in spacious restaurant. Air conditioning in bedroom not as effective as I had hoped, but Ifixed this by natural ventilation via the window. Wifi performed faultlessly. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The advantages of this hotel are its central location, ample underground parking, friendly staff and the Hertz car rental office located in its lobby. Our room was a good size. This hotel clearly caters for business and conference clientele. It has a restaurant and swimming pool. Breakfast was adequate but the evening meal was not up to scratch. Overall we thought it represented good value for money.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Well it was winter outside but we had a good place to stay. It is quite in the center. 5min walking distance from the market place. The breakfast was average but I could find what I needed. The staff is nice and helpful. We used one of the conference rooms too. It was okay. It has a spa wellness area which I tried before. It was fun sitting in the jacuzzi with my colleagues.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Our stay in Debrecen was eased by staying at Hotel Lycium, ideally positioned just of the centre of Debrecen which is less than 5 minutes away. The hotel is clean and proper as should be expected from many hotels. The rooms are perfectly isolated for sound, and the airco isn’t intrusive. The sanitary facilities are on the verge of luxurious, bath and shower all present and roomy and clean. Bedrooms clean and roomy, beds up te spec. ( I am quite picky with beds, having stayed in many top hotels I find that beds are almost always problematic, having a hernia and being 1.90. means I need a big and good bed. Lycium have those). The staff is kind and polite although a bit distant. We visited the hotel in a off peak season, giving us the idea we were the only visitors in the hotel, this ofcourse also contributed to the silence. The hotel has quite a nice bar, and breakfast/lunch.dining room facility. Serving a full continental breakfast with some local edges. In the evening food can be ordered a la carte. To be quite honest this part of the hotel leaves room for improvement. The food is good but nothing special, the service can be quicker, and a choice selection of music or live music is preferred over the local radio station, and some attention need to be paid to the lightning, Cold CFL lightning definitely ruin any romantic moods, and for the price you pay, you can just as well visit the local etterems which have great quality for the same price. Other than that the hotel is great. I didn’t have the chance to visit the wellness facility. But I expect that to be quite a bonus. If the hotel would spruce up the restaurant it would be worth the 5 stars.
In short, Great value for the price, and Greate price fo rhte value, definitively a recommended place to stay, just skip dining there, for now.

Daniel