“Excellent tasting menu.”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Put our faith in the hands of our waiter. He did not disappoint. First an exceptional ((and not most expensive on list!) Hungarian Cabernet Franc. First course tuna tartar, followed by a perfectly seared scallop, goose liver and mushroom ravioli, beef tenderloin and tiramisu with a lovely coffee gelato. I would never have ordered half of it, but it all worked and was fantastic. Attentive staff and clearly local as we were the only tourists on this night.

There are newer reviews for Fausto’s Ristorante

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have always enjoyed the food and service at Fausto's but in the new place they have upped their game a notch. I must admit that every dish in the tasting menu we've selected was just right. Loved the scampi tartar and the lamb at the end was outstanding. We had wine pairing with the menu and got some really fresh and interesting ones both the whites and the reds from 3 different countries. The vegetarian testing menu and wine paring was equally tops.
This one is a keeper for us for sure.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Fausto Osteria is the third of three restaurants I and my wife read about in the New York Times and decided to try while in Budapest. I have reviewed the other two - Café Bouchon and Zeller Bistro - very, very good restaurants, Bouchon slightly better, Zeller still being terrific. Fausto Osteria was very good as well and hard to compare as it serves Italian food. I would put it in a tie with Zeller, just a quarter of a notch below Bouchon. There are two restaurants in the same location - a Ristorante and the Osteria or bistro, the Osteria having a great but simpler menu. I had a bean and pasta soup and a pappardelle with cubes of veal, my wife had a tagliatelle with sea bass. We shared an apple tart with sage ice cream for dessert and a very nice Hungarian Cabernet Franc. The bean soup, other than my wife’s home made red lentil soup, is the best soup I have ever had, made from large beans I had never seen before from northern Italy. The pasta seemed freshly made and perfectly prepared. My wife’s tagliatelle was equally good. These were right sized portions -- not Hungarian portions, which tend to be huge. The dessert was small and also near perfect the mixture of apple and sage something new to us and refreshing. The service was impeccable - truly -- including a lively discussion about the best wine. With my coffee a complimentary plate of cookies with the consistency of shortbreads was served. Bread and tap water is also free; the Pelligrino was on the bill. The total cost was $91, including a 10% service charge, about one third what you would pay in New York, one fourth in London. If you go, you need to make a reservation and specify the osteria or the restaurant -- both are modern and beautifully appointed. Faustos is literally across the street from the hack end of the Great Synagogue on Dohany Street.

1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We visited Fausto's for St Valentine's day this year. I was a little late in booking a restaurant for the 14th but was very happy that Fausto's was still available.

The price for the dinner for 2 people came to around £250. This was for 2 set menus, a bottle of wine and 2 glasses of prosecco, so quite pricey but we don't mind paying for the odd expensive meal out.

The food was nice and well presented. The portion sizes were very small but this wasn't too bad for a 6 course meal.

Throughout our meal, our waiter was very attentive, however, as soon as we had finished our dessert course he seemed to lose his attentiveness.

We were happy that we had a lovely valentines meal on the whole to this restaurant although felt that for the price paid, the staff could have remained attentive until the end of the meal.

1  Thank Emily G
Reviewed February 19, 2014

The restaurant has a really cool, stylish feel to it and was quite relaxed despite the upmarket feel to it. The staff seemed knowledgable and were friendly and managed to fit us in at quite short notice

Some of the dishes were quite adventurous, such as the duck liver creme brûlée, the presentation was great but the execution just didn't work. The sweetness of the burnt sugar overpowered the duck and the two flavours didn't compliment each other in the same way a jam or sauce would.

I also agree with the previous comments made about a briney sea bass pasta dish - that is the best way to describe the taste, which was uncomfortably salty and meant I couldn't finish the dish. The Veal in pastry dish my partner ordered was nice, but lacking in taste and accompaniments.

The bread for the table was a good selection, but was brought late so was a slightly odd snack to have between the starter and main.

Overall I would definitely give Fausto's a visit if you are in Budapest, if only for the classy setting, great area and menu items that work.