“Worth a visit... but a bit pricey”

Fausto’s Ristorante
Ranked #54 of 3,304 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian, Italian, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I think you pay a bit for the nice drapery and decor here. But the food was great. I thought my gnocchi were light as a feather - and no fuss was made when I asked for more cheese than you would ever expect anyone to need on their plate. Also, the wine we had was so delicous I took a photo of the bottle. So in all - I really feel this restaurant is careful to source the very best ingredients, and this could account for the price you pay. Having said this, I would eat there again tomorrow.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We made a reservation last week to celebrate my wife's birthday with her Hungarian family. Both my wife and i are food enthusiasts and accustomed to fine dining, so based on all the positive reviews our expectations were high.

First: parking our car was a nightmare as the restaurant is located on a narrow, one-way side street of a buzzing nightlife vein. But fair enough, this is Budapest: a town with more cars than parking spots. Tip: just take public transportation either subway or tram, both will save you the frustration of driving around for 20 minutes in the idle hope finding a parking spot.

Upon entering we were addressed in English by the friendly staff, who took our jackets and pointed us to our table. The menu was simple but did offer more options than some other restaurants in this range. We skipped the bubbles as we already enjoyed some champagne back home.

As our waiter didn't come back to our table until after we had decided on starters and mains, we ordered our drinks at the same time with all the rest. Halfway the order (I was the first male to order), upon inquiring about an accompanying wine with my food, the waiter dropped everything and dashed off to pour me a sample, leaving the rest of the table ready to order a bit confused. Although it was a great tasting wine, I found it to be too full bodied and asked for a milder one. Again he dashed off leaving the whole table waiting. He came back apologizing, as the wine he had in mind was out, and he then took his sweet time explaining my options. Again he dashed off and poured me a sample. Feeling embarrassed, I agreed with the wine so he could finish taking our order. This whole ordeal took well over 5 minutes and was totally avoidable.

Right off the bat, the portions were extremely small. Something we had taken into account, but still. My duck liver with chestnuts was rather tasty, but my brother in law had ordered tempura which was literally dripping with oil, it looked - and tasted - like a soggy sponge. As a main I had ordered the ravioli with duck filling: slightly disappointed I counted exactly 6 ravioli pieces on my plate. It was tasty yes, but it was even less than my starter leaving me unsatisfied and hungry. I finished my wife's risotto with deer, which was rather average tasting but served more as a filler anyway. By the time I had finished (I was the last), no one was super impressed with the quality and disappointed with the quantity.

One side note: although we ordered only 2 bottles of water, the staff kept circling us like a pack of hungry vultures throughout dinner, refilling our half full glasses and opening 2 new bottles of water unannounced. We mentioned this at some point but this was disregarded with a nod and smile, not to reappear until we received the bill...

After cleaning the table, the final insult came in the shape and form of a sour, sour, sour sorbet. Unbelievably sour. Did i mention it was sour? And too unidentifiable to place: my wife and i still disagree whether it was forest fruit or paprika...

Anyway, after this disappointing dinner we skipped dessert and headed home. I'm sure it's. great restaurant and the chef and the waiters all just had a bad day, but for us it was a one time, never again thing unfortunately. Too bad.

1  Thank Pepoque D
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just arrived in Budapest late this afternoon and had a quick look on trip advisor for somewhere to eat, my girlfriend is a big fan of italian food so choose Fausto's.
I turned up tonight thinking it was going to be a sub standard Italian but in actual fact it was the opposite, we was greeted by a couple of very friendly front of house staff and was shown to our table.
The waiter suggested a couple of starter options and a main course option which i decided to go for along with his choice of wines.
I have to say that he did not disappoint! His knowledge on the wines was second to none, showing us what great character and boldness Hungarian wines actually are! standing up against some of the best new and old world wines.
I have dined in many Michelin starred restaurants and I would say that this place deserves a star! The food tonight was perfectly cooked with lots of thought behind it and perfectly seasoned.
I would defiantly recommend this place, outstanding Food and exceptional service!!
This guys deserve to be number 1
Thank you all for a lovely evening.

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Will be coming back! Looking forward to their new combo restaurant - to open May 2013. Best Italian food In Budapest.

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Faust ended his days being dragged into hell having sold his soul to the devil. If he had eaten at Fausto's no wonder he had sold his soul. Having eaten at some of the finest eateries in Italy I have to say it is perplexing to find heaven in of all places Budapest. It was all so correct, attentive service, outstanding food and ambiance. If it was next door to my house I would never cook for myself again. Yeah it made my holiday can you tell.

1  Thank RogerT2