“Nice, not really touristic place”
Review of Jelen Bisztro

Jelen Bisztro
Ranked #631 of 3,354 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Asian, Central European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Jelen was recommended by our Hungarian landlord; it's close to where we stayed. It was a nice place- good service, good food, good value. The neighborhood is a little sketchy, but they manage to pull off a better atmosphere than a lot of more touristy places. I wish we had 1) seen a live show there and 2) tried some of their Thai dishes, but we didn't get a chance to.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This restaurant is relatively cheap and has live music. The food is of good quality and there is a small selection of wines. It was a bit difficult to find from the instructions in the Time Out guide.

1  Thank Olwyn B
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Few days ago me and my girlfriends wanted to have some steak and try out Jelen Bistro, near to Blaha Lujza tér. It was not as good, as we wanted it to be...

First of all, I must admit, my opinion of the ambiance would be much more nicer, if Jelen was in somewhere other part of Budapest. Blaha tér is the most poor area of the city, and the bistro is hidden under a plaza, which I didn't like in my whole life. But you know, if the restaurant from the inside is OK, I wouldn't that cold hearted. But. The inner ambiance is not friendly at all, not funny, not even stylish. I got the feeling that they just wanted to do something big, but they don't really care. I don't get it.

Waiters are OK, they attentive but not very friendly. When at our table, always looks away to other tables, being that attentive! Sadly, all the steaks were out of the menu, but he didn't mention when we entered to the restaurant, although we said we wanted to have dinner. Ciders are out of stock too, so we had to change the whole idea about our dinner. Finally, I had pasta with duck and mushrooms. It was OK, but nothing special.

I don't understand why Jelen is always crowded, maybe we went in their wrong time? But honestly, I don't want to try it again. Maybe for a few drinks one night - if they are not out of cider...

Reviewed January 13, 2013

13 JAN 2013

We ordered brunch menu: drink, main and a dessert, 1700 HUF each (6 € or 7-9 $).
Drink: bellini (please!) - poor sparkling wine with a bit of orange juice - awful.
Main: chicken wrap (200 HUF extra): we found around 6 small pieces of chicken (believe me, approx. 0,8 x 1,5 x 0,7 cm dimensions) in each of tiny tiny wrap.
Desser: three differed cakes (lime, orange, cheesecake) – so small that I wouldn’t even know how to carve that thin slices!

… and we waited half an hour for that.

Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Delicious food and a great atmosphere at reasonable prices. Extensive menu and good day-time and brunch menus. Would definitely visit again.