“Great salad, great view”

Robinson Restaurant
Ranked #145 of 3,080 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Városliget
Description: Robinson restaurant opened in 1989 on the small island of gastronomy at Varosligeti Lake, a few minutes on foot from Heroes' Square (Hosok tere). Over the past decades it earned popularity among the citizens of the capital as well as the expatriate community of Budapest. Numerous great celebrities - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Robert Redford, David Copperfield and Larry Hagman to name but a few - have tasted the delicacies prepared in the kitchen of the Robinson. The environment of the restaurant is no less hospitable. The Museum of Fine Arts, the Budapest Zoological and Botanical Gardens, the Amusement Park of Budapest, the Great Circus and several other landmarks are located in Varosliget. Mediterranean environment, homely atmosphere, live Latin guitar music and an excellent kitchen guarantee a memorable evening spent here.
London, United Kingdom
“Great salad, great view”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Such a beautiful location on a sunny day. The food is really good quality and all made really fresh. A bit pricey but really worth the visit.

Visited April 2014
ORM2014, Manager at Robinson Restaurant, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comment. We are really happy that you enjoyed the time spent here with us. Quality is our top priority, and I am glad that we could meet your expectations. We look forward to welcome you on another occasion in our restaurant!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
“Great Staff, Excellent location, Free WIFI”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Had lunch here during the restaurant week with my boyfriend. The 3 course menu was well worthy and honest. The staff was excellent. Free WIFI is a nice touch ( not a torture to log in like everywhere else in Budapest). Good wine list, and perfect hotspot, if you wish to observe the sunset from the Park!

• Visited March 2014
ORM2014, Manager at Robinson Restaurant, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Brussels, Belgium
“Simply not up to standard for quality of food and customer service”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I have never written a TripAdvisor review before but I feel compelled to write one. I cannot understand how this place is ranked 255th, and has been awarded a certificate of excellence. Things must have taken a major turn for the worse following our lunch at the Robinson restaurant on the 23rd March.

I must start positively by saying that the location and setting of this restaurant is very nice. After having walked in the park and visited the many sites nearby, lunch outside on the terrace right by the water seemed ideal.

However things quickly went downhill when entering the restaurant, and trust me when I say this, we are not difficult customers.

The location and setting of this restaurant is no doubt a factor explaining the high menu price in comparison to other places in the city. But when paying higher prices, you expect good quality food and nice customer service. This simply was not the case.

In regards to customer service, the relationship between the staff member and customer was awful. I admit that our Hungarian was virtually inexistent, and so I am grateful that all staff members knew some English, but that is no reason to avoid eye contact and not smile. I will always remember the moment we left the restaurant after having paid, we were walking towards our waiter who had definitely noticed us, one by one we all said ‘Goodbye’, his response = nothing, just looked at us and didn’t acknowledge us at all.

Sadly the food also suffers. We had been enjoying many Hungarian specialities since the start of our trip, so it was a nice change to order food you find everywhere. I ordered the BBQ spare ribs which were tasteless, and I felt a bit ‘yucky’ after having eaten them. My friend ordered the garlic scampi pasta, our impression is that the chef had emptied the entire stock of garlic into one single bowl which sadly overwhelmed all other ingredients in the dish. These are by no means complex dishes, so you cannot understand our incredulity over their poor quality.

In addition, management appear to have given their staff members ‘iPhones’ so that they can write down customer orders. Admittedly this does add a touch of technology to the place. But when the waiter came up to us to take the order, we thought he was busy texting a friend! From a distance to outsiders, their perception will be similar. I would suggest going back to basic pen and paper asap.

Overall we did not enjoy our time at this establishment. Some major areas need to be addressed by the manager as I wouldn’t be surprised if further reviews come in highlighting the same issues. This is a real shame for somewhere that looks so nice from the outside, but simply does meet expectations.

Best Regards,
James C.

2 Thank James C
Dear James C!

Thank you for your constructive criticism! We have shown your review to all our staff members, and hopefully they understood how important is the eye contact and a smile for the guests. We have never recieved any criticism regarding to our BBQ ribs and the garlic scampi pasta before, but we accept your point of view, and we are going to improve in this area too.

We can only hope that we can welcome you again on our little island, when we can meet all of your expectations!

The Management
Budapest, Hungary
“weak quality and service for a lot of money”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We got in to this place after a nice walk in the sunny Budapest for lunch. At the beginning the staff was kind polite, but later we claimed about the quality of the starter food. If I were the owner of such a high class restaurant I would say immediately a sorry instead of starting to explain why is it feels smelly.

Overall: location is nice but the (very expensive) price for such a quality of food and service not in balance.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank pottara
ManagerRobinson, Guest Relations Manager at Robinson Restaurant, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear pottara,

We are sad to read that our restaurant could not meet your expectations of us! Please accept our most sincere apologies, and also we would like to thank you for giving us your feedback; we will make sure that something like what you have experienced will not ever happen again.

The Robinson Team
London
“Substandard”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Reading some of the positive reviews, I can't help but feel perhaps I arrived after a staff turnover...

Booked a table under the Budapest 'Restaurant Week' (discounted prices as a drawcard for many restaurants across the city, several times a year) and wondered if this was why the service and food wasn't that good; perhaps we just weren't 'profitable' or perhaps that's paranoia. Either way, I sincerely wished I hadn't wasted as much of an evening as I did.

Didn't realise booking a table meant being plonked down at a small table in the middle of the room, in front of a serving cart with foot traffic either side of the table so disruptive that it meant plates constantly being knocked. Asking the waiter who asked the manager to change table, we were told no but then again, there was the possibility of reserved tables (approximately 10 were free at the time) so fair enough.

The chicken wings as a starter were ok. The main course sounded appetising but appeared as noodles unprofessionally cooked (most were clumped) with literally just 8 beef strips; pinky-finger-sized. The beef was gone in less than two minutes and the noodles were too gluey.

The chocolate slice with vanilla sauce that came with no vanilla sauce was probably the best part of the meal.

One waiter was quite genuine in his friendliness. One waiter has to be given credit for trying so very hard to sell, sell, sell more spirits to me. The 'manager' strutted around like a peacock and was concerned only with my girlfriend as to why she didn't eat all of her meal; subsequently asking her if the meal was ok but completely ignoring me which was the height of unprofessionalism.

Left the place much earlier than expected and with a bitter taste in the mouth. I honestly can't recommend this place as the service was simply terrible with the feeling of unprofessionalism profound.

2 Thank mandyjackson
ORM2014, Manager at Robinson Restaurant, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest!

We very much do regret that you were not satisfied with us, and left such a bad comment here! We do respect that our guests are (almost) always right, on the other hand, I would like to put a small complement to your review.

The "Restaurant Week" is always a great event for us and for our guests too, with the 3.300 HUF offer. In this price (10€) we offer a 3 course tasting menu, with the same quality and carefully selected ingredients, which we have on every other day of the year. As you have mentioned, you liked the appetizer, and the dessert, but you missed the Vanilla dressing from the last mentioned. I would like to kindly inform you, that neither in the menu, nor on the picture posted on our Facebook page mentioned that it comes with Vanilla dressing. According to both, the dried peach was with Vanilla dressing.

On your Papardelle, there were Angus Loin slices (Considering the price ratio there were truly 8 slices), and what you felt "gluey" was in fact melted cheese. We have served this menu the entire week, and with the exception of you, everybody loved it. We very much looked after the table reservations too. As you have experienced, we had fully prepared tables with separate menu cards for the pre-booked tables of the "Restaurant Week".

We would have loved to give you another table, but those were also pre-reserved for this event for 4-6 persons. It seems to be, that the question of the manager was also equivocal for you, as he directed his questions to the Lady adjoining you. The reason of he only asked the lady was the fact, that her plate was full, while yours was empty. We are foing to pay more attention for cases like this in the future.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and compliments!

The Management