“One of our Budapest highlights”
Review of Spinoza Cafe

Spinoza Cafe
Ranked #379 of 3,556 Restaurants in Budapest
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

A lovely feel to this restaurant, piano playing in the back ground,quant looking characteristic restaurant with attentive waiters and lovely traditional food.....soup was amazing!!!always busy and buzzing. Sometimes feels a bit squashed but that's only from rude other diners who have no thought for the people around them.would def recommend this restaurant for traditional understated delightful food.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,335)

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I loved the food (interesting and yummy meals), coffee and the treatment of all the waiters. I will definitely go back one day! Great atmosphere and I understood that you can also watch theater there. It's a pity to miss this place. Anyway, there are many many other bars in this area and each of them have their own personality.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We came to this restaurant on a Friday night, mainly for the Jewish/Yiddish musical concert before the dinner in a quaint theatre room at the back of the restaurant. The concert was lovely. The musicians were talented and the vocalist was amazing.
The restaurant itself is very cosy and European...
However the food was very mediocre. The menu is a fixed menu when buying the concert/dinner ticket (we were not aware of this when we bought the ticket). We were not thrilled with the fixed menu but would have preferred the a la carte menu that others were eating in the restaurant. They also took forever to serve the food..... we were hungry after a long day of sight seeing and quite tired so the long wait was annoying....
However on a more positive note, there was a pianist playing beautiful soft music during the meal. It was delightful.... I kept thinking how much my 85 year old mother would have loved this music.... we did!

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended this restaurant by two different people!
We located restaurant earlier in the day and made a reservation (recommend doing this).
When we arrived we were shown upstairs (we'd requested this when we booked) and there was a pianist playing away, creating a great atmosphere. The restaurant was busy with locals and tourists. Always a good indicator for me.
Our waiter was excellent and recommended wine and dishes for us. We weren't disappointed. Food and wine were delicious. Being a dessert lover, the apple struddle definitely hit the spot
Even if you don't want to venture too much to local cuisine, I'm sure there's safe items like chicken spatzle.
Staff were great, atmosphere superb. Definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

This place fills most tourist trap stereotypes but overall it was a very enjoyable experience and the staff were good fun. I had the goulash soup (mostly soup) which was very tasty. For mains I had goose which was amazing, it was medium rare and bursting with flavour. Not for everyone and definitely pitched slightly high than more local establishments but for authentic local cuisine this place seems to hit the spot, confirmed in my opinion by the rather large groups of local tourists who were also frequenting the place. Oh and live music was nice also.

1  Thank 10,111,011
Tallev, Owner at Spinoza Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Thank you for your positive review about my restaurant! Although I'd appreciate if you could change the title of it, because when you say "tourist trap", its a negative expression, describing a cheating place, where the meals are overprized, etc. And as you realized, Spinoza Café is a fantastic place - great food, great atmosphere - , friendly with good value for money, where people do come back to. So I'd appreciate if you could change the title of your review.