“Nice restaurant but lacking a little something”
Review of Spinoza Cafe

Spinoza Cafe
Ranked #184 of 3,121 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Cambridge
“Nice restaurant but lacking a little something”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We wanted to go out for food in the Jewish quarter and try somewhere different having been to a few other places nearby already, and this seemed like a nice place according to our local hosts. It's quite a tourist trap, not really many locals, but the menu looked good and varied.

The place itself is nicely decorated, was great having a guy playing live piano as well while we were eating, and was a great environment. Service was attentive and friendly and no problems when I wanted to mix and match a couple of dishes for my main course.

The food itself was good enough, but not quite as good as some of the other restaurants we've tried nearby. There was a decent selection of Hungarian wines which was good.

Overall we were pleased with our meal, but it just lacked a little something.

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
“Jovial service, live pianist, great atmosphere (food and price average)”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I found this restaurant on Trip Advisor and were drawn in by the good reviews of this place. It definitely lived up to it in terms of atmosphere! We left with a smile and a full stomach, so I would certainly recommend it... but perhaps only if there is a live pianist playing which was probably the key reason for its good atmosphere. We had a table next to the pianist. The pianist was a jolly old man who played Waltzing Matilda for us as soon as he found out that we were from Australia. We had the three course set menu which was 15 euros each (you could pick one of two dishes for each course). The food was hearty and felt home-cooked in a sense. However, after our "home-cooked meal" Paris experience it had a lot to live up to. This is average value once you add the massive tax on it and service charge. I give it a four star because the food and price could have been a little better, but it's honestly not at all bad by any means. If you are looking for better food and better priced dining (but no pianist and hence rated less in atmosphere!), I'd also recommend going to Ket Szerecsen which is close to the State Opera House. Both are great though, and perfect picks for couples, friends or family.

Vienna, Austria
“Great atmosphere, so so food”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Based on the reviews on TA we tried this place. First evening we tried it was fully booked, so we reserved a table for the next evening. Very friendly staff.

There is a pianist playing, which is really nice, but this place is REALLY busy. People are constantly walking in and sent away. I guess that's good for the restaurant, but don't expect to have a quiet meal here as tables are quite closely positioned. To be honest, we didn't mind that but I can see why people might not appreciate listening in on their neighbours :)

What I didn't like so much about the place was that my main dish, Hungarian goose leg with mash, was deep fried. I ordered this dish a few days before at a different restaurant, where they cooked it in a frying pan, so was sorely disappointed to have an oily, deep-friend version at Spinoza.

Having said that, it's a friendly place with friendly staff who work really hard and seem overworked. It's not expensive either, as we had a few drinks & a three course meal for less than 40 euros.

• Visited December 2012
Sydney
“Excellent Restaurant”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Having read the negative reviews I was a little reserved about going here. But I also read management's response and thought the negative reviews were fake. It is disappointing that what I can only assume are competitors get the hide to create an account and provide a negative review. Perhaps if they were more focused on providing excellent quality, service and food rather than trying to trick the system they would be better off.

Spinoza was fantastic. The staff could not be friendlier and the atmosphere was welcoming and enjoyable.

The goulash soup was fantastic and the prices were reasonable. Keep up the good work and don't worry about your jealous competitors. The truth comes out.

I would recommend this restaurant.

San Francisco, California
“Friendly staff but.mediocre food”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Booked here for new years eve dinner
It was pretty.expensive but then again most restaurants were on new years eve
Staff quite friendly
But food was quite mediocre
Nothing stood out and steak was dull at best
Decent food, but was not worth the high price for new years.meal