“Amazing”

Ranked #153 of 3,204 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Grill, Street Food
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: We believe in curiosity and the pursuit of new experiences, a journey that leads to far lands and distant times. Since the beginning of time, food has been the most vital necessity for survival and besides that, a main source of joy. This is one of the few things that never change. Food is the oldest venue which brings worlds together. The first hummusbar was opened in 2005, and since then, our restaurants have become a part of the city with several locations. We are present in the most desirable spots of the urban scene with a boutique flavour to our food and our sites. Our food is unique by its simplicity. We use quality ingredients, our dishes are homemade, fresh and nutritious, based on ancient recipes. We keep our atmosphere humble and welcoming. Everyday, we work to remind our guests how simple a thing can be to enjoy life. We are a growing chain in Budapest, Hungary with our eye on the european market.
Brussels
“Amazing”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was brilliant - quick, cheap, clean, great location, and good quality food. Amazing for veggies and anyone craving anything non-European (or American)!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tucson, Arizona
“Original but I not my cup of tea”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

For me hummus was an appetizer, not a whole meal nor main dish so that is an original approach. One of the specialty is the falafel which is not my cup of tea.
We ordered the kebab (beef & lamb) and I thought it would mean some meat but it looked very similar to the falafel and tasted almost the same.
The hummus with chicken has about 1 oz of chicken sprinkled over a plate of hummus. So I would say just stick to vegetarian dishes because I was not convinced by the meat part.
We ordered egg plant salad and I thought I would actually see eggplants. It is in fact half baba ghanoush (eggplant puree with tahini) which I love and half tomato concentrate paste - yuk.
The great surprise was the flat bread they cook themselves, MUCH better than pita, more like a naan. And the nice touch is to be welcomed by a small glass of mint tea.

• Visited September 2013
“Relief for the Vegetarian”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My vegetarian wife was becoming fed up with pizza, so she was delighted to find the Hummus Bar, which proved to be a little gem. It has a varied menu of vegetarian and meat dishes, The food was tasty, although my chicken in a tomato and smoked paprika sauce (SHAKSHUKA) was a little burnt. My wife's falafel received a lot of praise. A very pleasant and fulfilling lunch.

Belgrade, Serbia
“Excellent value”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The food is very fresh and authentic - they bake their own laffa in a tabun of sorts; the end product, though, is unevenly chewy and crispy with varying thickness, but hey, when used for scooping, who cares. I was won over by the daily soup with couscous, it was incredibly homely tasting. Hummus is heavy on the tahina, some will see this as an advantage, I found it overpowering and missing the chickpea point completely. Main dishes are great, with plenty of salad sides. Service was also great - very quick, very friendly.

Overall, Hummus Bar is an excellent choice for a quick, freshly made lunch at exceptional value. Fast food at its best.

• Visited September 2013
Prague, Czech Republic
“Budapest trip”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I do not understand why it has so good rating on trip advisor. It is an unexpensive restaurant and after my meal I understood why. I ordered one of the most expensive meals - the degustation plate, it was not for more than 10 dollars. I did not really enjoy any of the tasting meals, my girlfriend did not even eat it. The interior looks fine, but they have only one toilet for the whole restaurant!

1 Thank Jonator
HummusBarMGMT, Public Relations Manager at Hummusbar, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
We are sorry that you had a bad first experience with us. We still appreciate that you gave us more positive ratings regarding the atmosphere and the service: these are two important elements for things to really click in a restaurant. Hopefully next time you fill find the food element also fall into place, we look forward to welcoming you again the next time you are in Budapest.