“A good experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bock Bistro

Bock Bistro
Ranked #71 of 3,080 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
sussex
“A good experience”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

You may need to persevere to get a table reservation but it is worth a visit. Waiters are good humored and friendly and the place has a nice buzz with a mixed clientele. Ate here twice. I would say the food was good rather than great but perhaps its more about the atmosphere that makes you want to return.

Visited October 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
San Francisco
“Creative Hungarian-style food, great wine”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is my kind of place! Generous portions, hearty food with bold flavors, knowledgeable and friendly staff, good local ingredients and outstanding preparation, amazing prices, gregarious ambience. I love that the food and service were so good but the restaurant was so casual. My wife and I honeymoon'd in Budapest and ate 3 times at this restaurant. We always took the waiters' recommendations, and once I described something that looked so good (herb-crusted rack of lamb) but was not on their menu, and they made it anyway! I'm a wine-lover,and their wines were also wonderful, although I'd never heard of them before (Villanyi Bock Cuvee 2007 - super-yum!) We ate finer meals in other restaurants in Budapest, but this is the only restaurant we came back to. If I could define my optimal bistro, this is it.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank VideoBuck
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Wine cellar with authentic but also refined Hungarian food”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Lovely dinner at Bock in Budapest side, with knowledgable waiter who even replaced a whole bottle of wine because he did not approve of the smell! The portions of food are really big, and the taste is marvelous. Definitely we will be back to experience this wonderful wine and food experience, not to miss.

1 Thank Pin73_11
Toronto, Canada
“Try the bizarre ice cream dessert!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Dinner at the Bock Bistro was amazing! Service was top notch, the place was packed, the accordion player was a hoot, and the food was super yummy. We started off with the calamari tapas, the goulash and pork soup starter, the cabbage roll tapas, and the stuffed paprika starter. I then had the pike main and my husband had the veal and soft shell crab special. The soft shell crab was fabulous. The pike was moist and really well done. My only complaint was that there was a huge piece of cheese on the top... I'm not a cheese lover, so the pungent odor/taste was kind of unpleasant. Once that was scraped off, the fish was fantastic. Dessert was the highlight for me. I won't tell you the three flavors of ice cream that you end up getting, but I can assure you that you have NEVER tasted anything like it. It was a great ending to a lovely evening.

2 Thank miso_soup23
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
“The best restaurant of Hungarian cuisine with great wine list”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Every time I visit Budapest I eat at this place. When I'm thinking of a delicious food I dream of Bock Bistro. Best piquant lecho and other traditional Hungarian dishes with modern touch. Waiters always can recommend the best wine to each plate. It might be more expensive than Budapest average restaurant but worth every forint :) I simply adore this place!!!!

• Visited December 2011