“Not fancy but good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nancsi Neni

Nancsi Neni
Ranked #477 of 3,044 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Orinda, California
“Not fancy but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were treated to a late lunch on a weekday by a large group of local scientists with whom we were meeting. I thought the restaurant had a lot of charm--large beer garden seating on the outside, simple red-checkered tables on the inside along with a small store.

I thought the Hungarian dishes were pretty tasty though not exceptional. But I'm not an expert on this cuisine. Presentation on some dishes was superb, on others pretty plain. My sense was that this was like Hungarian home cooking. Service was prompt but nothing special. The restaurant was fairly empty (and not a soul eating outside), but we were a bit cramped seated at a long table with little room for the waiters to walk around. My guess is we were placed here as this was a bit more private section of the restaurant.

The garden looked like it would be fun if filled with a lively crowd on a sunny day.

• Visited October 2012

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belgrade, Serbia
“Hungarian country cuisine - not the best.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I had a couple of dinners here and it was just average. They offer traditional Hungarian country fare and use a lot of cream and paprika. There is no innovation in their dishes whatsoever, so things get boring after a while. The quality of food was OK and the atmosphere below par.

Visited March 2012
Caernarfon, Wales, United Kingdom
“Went down hill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I first visited here in 2005 and it was one of my favourite restaurants in the world. However, after a couple of years it became more popular and the quality of the food went down, so there was disappointment. My last visit didn't see any improvement so I fear the quality has given way to the quantity of visitors.

Rome, Italy
“Once in a decade”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

The atmosphere is good and the garden is very nice.
Although the service is really poor and at this time the food was not the best.
All in all I will avoid this place and will not recommend it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Budapest
“Somewhat overrated, but still very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I go to Náncsi Néni every now and then, mainly because many of our friends (and some members of the family) constantly rave about it. I normally find it a bit too busy, a bit too crowded and a bit too slow. We went there two weeks ago for a late lunch on a Monday afternoon. It was far less crowded than usual, and we got a nice table in the garden. Overall we ate well, I shared liba töpörtyű (goose cracklings) for starter, it was somewhat drier than I like it. The catfish stew on pastry with curd cheese and sour cream (harcsapaprikás túróscsuszával) was all right, but I had already had better. The somlói galuska (sponge cake with nuts, chocolate sauce and whipped cream – my all time favourite dessert) was out of this world. It was fresh, tasty, just perfect. My wife told me that the goose liver she had was also nice, my mother-in-law’s perch pike was just so-so. The servings are generous, the prices are reasonable.

Visited August 2012