“a port in a storm”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The John Bull pub isn't about tourists. It's about Expats living in Budapest and managing to navigate root vegetables and limited menus who just want a bit of home. It's about entering and feeling the warmth of English being spoken and a good beer smell. It's about not ordering an overly sweet wine. I've been happy here and I've been broken hearted here, but none of that was about the food. It was about an atmosphere that made me feel safe and understood. Tourists, stay away if you want, there are other places. Go to Britain if you want a pub. Brits and Americans living abroad, flock to this place. It feels a little bit like home.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

That might sound like an odd comment for a pub review, but my friend and I are sitting here now and if the bartender squeezed out a mop into our beers I would double my tip!
Nice layout and oddly grumpy service.

Let's just say we paid too high a price for the free wifi

1  Thank TSawtell
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is a real English pub. The beer is ice cold on a hot summer day. The service was great. What else could you ask for? The location is great, too!

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Visited on our first night, as it was near to our hotel. We ordered Sausage and Mash with Crispy Onions, which was very nice, but didn't have gravy. We asked for gravy, but they didn't have any, bit disappointing!!

Reviewed July 20, 2012

If you want to go to Budapest, to watch television, Then you in for a treat here, as there must be 4 or 5 in this smallish bar. We just wanted a late drink and I must admit that the sound was down at the bar that we sat in. So it didn't get in the way of conversation. It could do with a make over. But that's just my taste