“Beautful Restaurant”

Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: Pierrot is a refined yet comfortable and relaxed, friendly restaurant run by our several generation restaurateur family. We are located in a 13th century old bakery house and have been here for three decades. We are featured in the Michelin Red Guide since 2005 and have been awarded 2 hats by Gault Millau in 2011. Since Pierrot was founded in 1982 then as the first private café-restaurant in Budapest, many important people - actors, superstars, artists have visited Pierrot, among them the bands Depeche Mode and AC/DC, actors Marcello Mastroiani, Sir Roger Moore, Antonio Banderas, Jeremy Irons, Robert De Niro, Harrison Ford, Eva Mendez and Ryan Gosling. Pierrot has gone through several changes since 1982 but one thing has remained: In our family gastronomy is not merely a way of making a living but also a vocation in the best sense of the word. For decades we have regarded it our mission to make Hungarian cuisine and gastronomy shine in its old, pre-war glory again – you know, when Károly Gundel and Escoffier were still colleagues ...
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautful Restaurant”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We visited this restaurant on 2 occassions whilst we were in Budapest in April and on both nights the food and the service were fantastic. The waiters were very friendly and happy to go through the menu and explain how dishses were served and make recommendations.
Would definately return if I am back in Budapest and would recommend to anyone for dining in the Castle District.

1 Thank DH-1210

• Turkish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A disappointment”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

As I'm living in Budapest, fortunately I can enjoy a wide range of creative, modern and delicate cuisine, but yesterday night I was totally disappointed. The restaurant is located at a famous tourist spot of the city, (basically no problem with it since plenty of restaurants offers perfect meal at this area) the atmosphere was nice and cozy, service was OK, but main course was totally lack of fantasy and creativity, what means that I ordered exactly what was on the menu card. It is absolutely acceptable when I visit a budget choice place, but for these extremely high prices I imagined much more than I got. Hundreds of top restaurant await for everybody to discover, if you want to taste something special, I suggest you to visit ZONA/Olimpia/Petrus/Alabárdos for less (or similar) price instead of Pierrot, and I am really sorry to say it.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Dorottya H
Zurich, Switzerland
“Best we had in Budapest”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Out of the restaurants we have been in Budapest, this is the best one. It comes at a price, but it is absolutely worth it. The food is very good, comes in sufficient portions, and there is a nice atmosphere. I had the foie gras, the rib eye steak and the vanilla mille feuille. Very nice choice. In particular the rib eye was cooked to perfection. The dessert was a bit heavy, but tasty. Don't forget to taste some Tokay for dessert! The waiters were very attentive even though our group did not really match the rest of the guests. We were rather laid back, while most of the other guests were a bit formal. The piano play is a great guy. Don't forget to send him a drink and he will play your favourite tunes.

• Visited May 2014
New York City, New York
“Even more than I expected”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

My visit to Cafe Pierrot was one of the highlights to my trip to Budapest. I did not see the beautiful garden in the pictures due to the weather, but for me, the highlight was the wonderful service and food including self-made gluten free bread! We plan to return.

1 Thank glutenfreewanderlust
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“A gem upon the Castle Hill”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Pierrot sits across from 21 and I suspect share more than just a customer base. The food was excellent, well presented, offering a of mix of classic hungarian and european cuisine. The staff were helpful and charming yet not intrusive. The piano player won my wife's heart as he played some of her favorite tunes.

1 Thank Bob B