“Very good food and pleasant atmosphare, all the time”

Indigo Restaurant - Pest
Ranked #98 of 3,301 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Authentic downtown Indian restaurant operating since 2005.We also do deliveries takeaways and party catering.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have visited this restaurant many times since the opening.

As I was always satisfied and ate very nice food, now the restaurant deserves to get a 5point review from me.

I especially like their tofu dishes (grilled or in potatoe or spinach sauce), and tried many other dishes in different sauce.Liked them all.But the tandoori dishes are also great.And the indian breads...amazing.

Special thanks for the good hungarian wines.

To summarize all these:this is a very good place.It might has it's own karma...:-)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Good food ..... Good amibience...... Vegetarians must try paneer tikka masala...... A decent indian restraunt away from city center ....

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We go to Indigo every few months, which in itself tells quite a lot about the place. It is nicely decorated, I find the clean, bright, atmosphere very inviting, particularly the tables below the tall ceiling (with the impressive chandelier). Service is always reliable and reasonably fast for drinks and starters (the papadums, courtesy of the house, were waiting for us when we arrived); for the main dish you normally have to wait 30 to 40 minutes. If you want to have dips with the papadums you have to ask for them, or they may arrive too late. (I wasn’t impressed with today’s choice: the red one was too sweet and the mint one too thin).
Today we had tandoori chicken wings and mixed pakodas for starters, both very nice. For the main course we shared Chicken Jalfrezi with lots of crispy green and red peppers (rather than chillies), Murg Makhanwalla (my all time favourite, which today was not quite up to my expectations), Rogan Josh (another favourite, always tender and tasty) and Kadhai Fish, which was all right. The naan, usually thick and soft, was today a bit drier than I like it. Maybe should have selected the buttered version. Service, as usual, was impeccable.
The prices are very reasonable for this level of restaurant, we paid HUF 5,500 (about US$ 25) per person, including a generous tip.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I don't know why I insist on visiting Indian restaurants around the world. I'm not sure whether it's a sense of adventure, o a masochistic streak. Invariably, and especially in mainland Europe, they disappoint. As someone who was born on the Indian subcontinent, and as an author of an Indian cookery book, I'm going to be a difficult person to please. But I like to maintain a healthy perspective and take a measured view.

The first notable thing about Indigo was the signage. It was purple. As was the interior. Notwithstanding the confused branding, the place was tastefully decked out and pleasing. Comfy sofa seating with chairs opposite in the upstairs room were welcome, as were complementary poppadoms on arrival. They were missing the obligatory picked however.

The service was charming, and one of the main reasons we will return. We ordered: Mixed Pakodas and Punjabi samosas to start. This was followed by Veg Koftas, Paneer Makhanwalla, Punjabi Chole, Daal Maharani, Rice, Garlic Naan, and Paratha. Quite a lot for two people (or even four), but I was intent on checking this place out.

First up, the samosas: of the shortcrust pastry variety (rather than the spring roll type pastry), they were pleasing. The pastry was not greasy, the filling was lighter than expected which was nice. They were adequately spiced, but obviously missing any significant hint of chilli for the local and travelling clientele. They were generously sized.

The Mixed Pakodas were what I would call Pakoras. I sort of expected mixed vegetables inside the pakoras. Instead, we got a bunch of pakoras that were different, which was actually a very nice surprise. There were separate paneer, pepper, cauliflower, and onion pakoras. A very generous portion.

The Veg Koftas had a very good sauce. The koftas themselves were heavy on corn starch and were therefore stickier and heavier than necessary. They were stodgy rather than melt-in-the-mouth. As my girlfriend observed "they're not like yours". These things are a hell of a difficult thing to make perfectly, so a valiant effort for even offering them as a menu option.

The Paneer Makhanwalla was good, quite good. Again, and with all of the dishes, I would have liked them spicier with more chilli. We were in agreement that this dish was the best main course we had.

Punjabi Chole is Chana Masala to the Hindi speakers, and Chick Pea Curry to the rest of us. It was ok, a little dry, and uninspiring. But not bad by any means.

The Daal Maharani was plain awful. It was cooked to death. You need to be able to identify the individual lentils in a black daal. You couldn't, and therefore it was a stodgy mess. A shame, since it was otherwise appropriately spiced.

The rice was ok, seemed a bit "broken basmati" to me.

The breads were excellent.

We will return because this is the best Indian we've been to in Budapest (our second home).

If the restaurant owners read this, please note:

1. Get the black dall right. This isn't difficult.
2. Ask the customer what level of "hotness" they require. The experience was quite European.
3. Ask chef to be less enthusiastic with the cardamom. It was too prominent.
4. Keep the waiter who served us on 23/9/12 lunchtime upstairs. GIve him a raise.

This review only gets a "very good" because there's no "good" available, only "average".

It is good only because of the other rubbish Indian places in Budapest. It could be 5 star with a few changes.

Very good value.

2  Thank Suki B
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Aparantly a rare find in this city - a high class Indian restaurant - as recommended in the latest AA Guide book to Budapest, and we weren't disappointed. The food and service was excellent and there were some unusual dishes.I had a chicken dish with spinach, when it arrived I was a little apprehensive to see it was really green! But it WAS delicious As I can't remember the name get the English menu and it will be described!
The street this restaurant is on is parallel on the river-side of Terez Korut just 5 mins North from Oktogon Metro or tram stop.