“Great value in an otherwise expensive city”

easyHotel Budapest Oktogon
Ranked #118 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Harrow, UK
“Great value in an otherwise expensive city”
Reviewed September 2, 2008

My friend and I stayed at the EasyHotel Budapest for 4 nights at the end of August and paid 100 GBP in total. Rates are variable so look out for cheaper deals.

We booked the hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and were not disappointed. The staff spoke English and were friendly/ helpful, plus there were handy vending machines with drinks/ snacks. The hotel is very quiet and we hardly saw any other guests. Our room was on the second floor, it was spotlessly clean, had a good firm bed, decent air con and the bathroom was very modern and functional. Be prepared that everything is orange!!

Downside is the lack of shelving/ wardobe - we had to hang all our dresses on one hook, and most our clothes stayed in our suitcases.

We paid extra for TV in our room. It was good for music to get ready to, but the English channels were limited and mostly news, rubbish movies and travel shows. On the whole I wouldn't bother with this, as there's so much to do in Budapest we were only in the room to sleep.

The location is excellent, within a short walk of the main sights and metro stations. The elegant Andrassy Street with it's classy cafes, restaurants and designer shops is a 2 min walk. The Opera House in on this street and well worth a visit, though see a performance (season starts in Sep) rather than take the guided tour.

We loved Budapest and would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to save their money for sightseeing and food/ drink.

• Disliked — no shelves or wardrobe for clothes
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Suze76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Having just returned from 3 nights in Budapest at this value hotel I can easily recommend it to others wanting low accommodation costs over practically everything else in a central Budapest location.

I had booked back in March and fully prepaid an astonishingly low EUR 15 + tax per room per night, which totalled up to just over EUR 55 everything included or roughly CAD$90 for 3 nights which goes without saying is an incredible value and one I couldn't pass up given the relatively short stay. As I was at the front desk signing in another man was buzzed in and wanted to arrange that night for a single night stay and was told it was EUR70 + tax, so gathered from that the room rate goes up the closer you are to arrival. There are 59 rooms so the property isn't large and no doubt books up well in advance given its value.

As most of the other reviewers have mentioned the rooms are very spartan without any furniture beyond the double bed. My room, which was ground floor G5 small room with window, however did have a coat rack attached to the wall and one coat hanger, an improvement over the zero ability to hang anything up as others previously mentioned. The room wasn't much bigger than the bed itself and while that really wasn't an issue for a solo traveller I can easily imagine it would be for two guests in the room.

The bathroom was tiny and barely big enough to turn around in but was functional and adequate. The one surprise was barely a quarter of a roll of toilet paper on the roll and another half roll as a back-up. Given the thin, one ply type of toilet paper I opted to spend what was the equivalent of around CAD$1.50 for a four pack of toilet paper at a local 24-hour supermarket just in case I ran out. There is a soap dispenser in the small shower just above the shower taps though being quite tight confines once the shower drape is pulled I noticed I kept accidentally backing up into the tap either turning the flow of water off or changing the temperature. I would add that if you were using the shower several times a day the floor matt would get and stay wet and might be unappealing to some as there is no regular housekeeping unless you opt to pay extra for it. Also note the room does not offer a safe, though one can be arranged at reception.

I went without a TV for 3 nights and survived and for those who may be wondering, there is no way to work the wall mounted flat screen TV without the remote. EUR7.5 per day or EUR20 for 3 days seemed a little steep to me as really I was in the room for was to sleep as I managed to spend more time out & about in Budapest than in my room. The "lobby" of the easyHotel does have 3 internet connected computers and if I recall correctly it was about EUR5 for an hour, though as I received no receipt couldn't completely confirm and am going only by memory. Instead of a card you're signed up to an online account that has a clock that counts down your time, which I found somewhat handier than refilling a prepaid internet card as some hotels use. The downside was trying to recall your account sign-on. While I'm not sure they want to be publishing it as a benefit everyone can expect, the staff did allow me to print my boarding pass for my return flight home from their computer as it's the only one with a printer attached to it as none in the lobby meant for the public have print capability.

I use the term "lobby" loosely as there is no ability to walk in off the street as you have to either be buzzed in past a large door off the street or use your room card if you're already a registered guest. The front desk handles no calls about reservations referring those to the easyhotel website or toll-free phone lines and only takes calls from guests about their stays. All the staff were friendly and helpful to a fault and spoke wonderful English.
A bigger sign would've helped me spot the hotel from the busiest local street, Andrassy Ut, as it's set off this road by a long block. There is a big orange sign but it sits flush on the building and doesn't really stick out to be visible from a distance so you almost have a short distrance away before spotting the hotel.

The area the hotel is in is a busy traffic hub and so does offer on-the-go dining options such as fast food and a supermarket , many open 24 hours which is expressed locally as 0-24. There are a few topless bars, nightclubs and pubs nearby and so there is a colourful element that I could see putting some guests. The street noise and late night bar patrons did make for one fitful night sleep as it was a fairly warm summer day and regardless of what the hotel says you really can't control the air conditioning and so I found the small space quite warm and resorted to opening the window to try and cool it down, which of course meant all the night sounds woke me up several times. The room also had a so-so blind and lots of light leeked around and through it from the streetlight just outside so the room never really was completely dark. I gathered in other locations you have the option of getting a room without a window but I don't think this was the csae at this location as all rooms do offer a window however small.

In closing I would recommend this hotel to those who are ready to sacrifice cost above all else but if you are used to the perks more full service types of hotels offer you might find this budget option a very different experience. I know I like my luxury but for short stays will definately consider easyHotel in the future as the amount saved wound up paying for my sightseeing, meals and attractions in Budapest.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — no room temperature control
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank tcook052
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2008

If you are looking for a cheap, clean and convenient hotel to use as a base for sightseeing or, as we did, for the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend, this is a fabulous hotel. The bed was comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful, and it's conveniently located near supermarkets, restaurants, public transport and even a Scottish pub. There are no facilities for coffee or tea making, though there is a machine on the ground floor, but that wasn't fantastic. Still, it was a jolt of caffeine in the morning so was adequate for that purpose. The bathroom is tiny, but the shower, toilet and sink were clean and usable. There is nowhere to store clothing, etc, so if you are travelling with a lot of luggage, you need to be prepared for this.

We arrived on the Wednesday night and spent all day Thursday sightseeing, then Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Hungaroring. We had to get from the track to the hotel and then to the airport in a big hurry after the end of the race, and the staff had a taxi booked for us who was prompt and friendly, so we made it with time to spare.

If you want to watch the television (and there is a medium sized flat screen telly in the room), you have to hire a remote. We didn't do this because we were never there long enough! I did use the service to hire a hair dryer, which was only one Euro per day. That saved me having to pack one in my already overstuffed backpack!

If you are looking for a hotel for a romantic weekend away, this is probably not the one for you, unless you are on a tight budget and couldn't otherwise go to a beautiful city. But if you just want somewhere to sleep and shower, I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Lack of storage for clothes, etc.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank melinda_uk
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed July 17, 2008

Price: excellent. Facilities: clean, spartan. Quiet. Good air conditioning. Bed: great. Firm but not hard. Staff: very helpful. Location: good. Short walk to street cars and subway. Walking distance to tourist sites. Cons: no furniture besides bed. So nothing to put your things on except the floor. It would be nice if some simple shelves were provided.

• Liked — Airconditioning
  • Disliked — Lack of furniture
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fellowtravelerUSA
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 6, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights recently. The hotel is very clean and is comfortable (as long as you don't require a lot of space). We stayed in the standard room, which was pretty small. You can also book a smaller room that's cheaper, but I guess I wouldn't recommend it unless you are booking for only one person. I also wouldn't recommend staying here if you are tall (over 6 feet/183 cm), as the shower is nice but tiny. The bathroom is sort of an all-in-one bathroom pod with a small shower and small sink with a toilet and a couple of small built-in shelves. AC in the room worked well and was very quiet.

Staff were helpful, except for the time when the Brazilian place next door didn't open on time at 7 for breakfast (we needed to catch an early train); we asked the woman at the front desk if she had any other recommendations, and she smiled and said simply, "No." That's it! Oookay. We were short on time and there aren't really a lot of breakfast options in the neighborhood, so unfortunately we had to bite the bullet and go to McDonald's. Another woman named Victoria worked the front desk on other days and was helpful.

Good location near Andrassy ut halfway between the river and the City Park (Varosliget), though if you are not interested in Varosliget I would possibly stay closer to the river, as that is where most of the main attractions are. We went to both Varosliget and Margit Island (I'm a park junkie) and I guess I would say that we liked Margit Island a bit better.

Know that if you book the reservation is non-refundable; you will just get a credit to use at easyhotel.com if you have to cancel. We had to cancel our reservation because our flight was cancelled, but then ended up using our credit at the same hotel later.

Internet is ten euro a day, but there is an internet cafe nearby a door or two over from Burger King that's cheaper.

Bottom line is that if you are looking to save some money on lodging this is a nice value option, especially if you book earlier, as you get a better rate if you book early.

• Liked — Value for the money, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Lack of cheap web access onsite
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GoSeeStuff
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed July 5, 2008

well, if you clearly understand what it's like to have a room with diagonal ceiling starting right above your head and a tiny window at the top of this ceiling,

and if you are not ready to pay twice for a next best hotel solution in the city,

then it's a clean place to sleep.

orange walls are quite positive when you haven't got a proper window.

and you can get a wired 24hr internet access for Eur10 that you will be able to use in any cafe with wi-fi outside this hotel (but there's no chance you'll use 24 hours that you'll be given).

you'll have to climb to manually switch off the tv-set. no buttons, unplugging it the only option.

well, they get 4 stars from me only because the orange walls and friendly staff that sincerely tries to understand you. and there were no heavy rains so i could spend days outside of it.

it's located very well, near Andrassy blvd., yellow metro line to the centre and the tramline to Buda.

check out the wonderful indian fast-food named bombay express near this hotel: go to the Andrassy blvd and then to the centre, cross the oktogon sq, and there it will be (Andrassy 44). no better place to eat.

• Liked — orange walls, location, price
  • Disliked — ceiling, window
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank radio303
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I booked this hotel about a month in advance and decided to get a hang of it by staying at one of London Easyhotels just before heading for Budapest. My husband and I panicked after staying at Easyhotel Earls Court and seriously thought of getting a new hotel. Now we are glad we held on. Easyhotel Budapest is also plastered with that horrible orange and comes with no amenities, but it felt sooooo different. There's good air conditioning and an elevator. Water pressure is more than satisfactory. The room is immaculately clean. It is situated in a converted 19th century building that has high ceilings and a beautiful facade. Most of all, the staff are truly the best asset. They spoke perfect English, were very friendly (in the most unpretentious way), and nothing was too much trouble for them. I especially thank Victoria for making our stay even more memorable. Easyhotel Budapest taught me that a budget chain hotel sometimes CAN have its own character, and "frills" are just frills. You can still be comfortable without them.

• Liked — staff members and location
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family