“Just to be better”

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Reviewed January 26, 2013

During my 5 months stay in the city, I went to Köleves at least 4 times.
The last time was the first time I went to their new restaurant. Seems to me that the food used to be much better before they moved. Now it was over-spiced and too creamy. I hope they'll get their old standards back soon!
Also the atmosphere in their old rooms was much nicer. Simply more homey and comfortable. Now it's kinda old (ok, it's winter) and echo-y.

1  Thank Soaping

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We discovered this place quite by chance, it's a little out of the way but well worth the effort to find it. We ate an excellent two course meal, well presented, fresh and reasonably priced.

It's very nicely decorated, it feels unique and homely. I discovered Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Truffle Oil, they also served some excellent vegetarian options including a vegetable and feta strudel.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

It has a nice interior with lots of exciting details, like lamps made of wineglasses, a bar decorated with plates, colorful wallpapers and painting etc. This restaurant seems to be a perfect meeting place for university students and elder, as it is crowded most of the time.
I have eaten here on a number of occassions, and the food has always been excellent and the service good and friendly, but sometimes a bit slow. This time I ordered butternut squash and coconut soup which was excellent, came with a huge wild mushroom raviolo floating within. As a main course I had a roasted duck breast with blue cheese risotto and fig chutney. The duck was just perfect, outside crispy and soft inside, the risotto of the right consistency. My husband tried the goose matzo ball soup which was delightful and the steak he had was great. As a dessert we had the chocolate hazelnut cake, which was full of chocolate, a bit liquid in the middle. The wines were inexpensive and nice, we tasted the Jackfall Cabernet Franc which was nice.
Overall a good place to spend time and eat.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We (5 adults) were here last weekend. The restaurant looks new and fresh. The menu offered plenty of choice. The food however is mediocre if not under average. The starters were ok but lacked creativity. Some bread to go with the soups and cured salmon would have been nice. The staff is uninterested and in some instances even rude. How difficult can it be to walk around the table to put down a beer in stead of hanging over it? Budapest has many fine restaurants, but this is not one of them. Bummer!

Reviewed December 13, 2012

On entering the restaurant you can't help but immediately be amused by the weird and wonderful decor; from the quirky plate-decorated bar area to heaps of saucepans leaning precariously against walls; from collections of ancient coffee mills which are arranged up the stairs to rear-view mirrors in the bathrooms.
Three of us sat at a large polished-wood table - a luxury to have so much space in which to spread our cold weather gear - and ordered wine; a decent bottle of which can be had for less than twenty euros.
We all chose soup followed by a main course. My husband's butternut squash and coconut soup came with a wild mushroom raviolo floating within; it was hurriedly scoffed and pronounced excellent by all who were lucky enough to taste it. My friend and I chose the daily 'blackboard' special of 'bear's' garlic cream soup. It was green and gorgeous and served with a moreish warm cheese-stuffed tortilla.
I stuck with the blackboard for my main course and had roasted calves' liver with cottage cheese noodles. Pinkly juicy liver and unctuously creamy homemade pasta - what's not to like? From the regular menu, my husband chose duck (roasted breast; with blue cheese risotto and fig chutney) which was good and my friend went for the lamb (braised shoulder; with chestnuts and sage pasta) which was less so.
We shared puds; the chocolate hazelnut cake needed its cream as it was rather dry and the elderflower and cottage cheese tart, which sounded so very lovely, was just plain disappointing - clearly we should have been less greedy and stopped after the main courses.

1  Thank Jenny D