“Excellent Vegan Food Tour!”
Review of Budapest 101 Tours

Budapest 101 Tours
Ranked #19 of 117 Food & Drink in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Get the local experience! Private tours and experiences in Budapest and Hungary with the best guides - general sightseeing as well as tours specialized in culinary, wine, coffee, design, the Jewish district and many more. Every tour is tailor-made for you. After discovering the capital let us take you to the countryside - visit a winery, enjoy sailing on the Balaton and see our wonderful historical and cultural heritage. Going to Vienna or Bratislava? Skip the train and travel with a private guide and driver, using the opportunity to taste wine and see beautiful sights. We speak English and Spanish. Let us know what you have in mind and we will do everything to make it happen!
Reviewed September 14, 2015

I took a private vegan food tour of Budapest with Judit last month and it was exceptional. It felt more like I was being shown around by a local friend than a guide. Nothing was rushed and the shops and restaurants Judit brought me to were all fantastic. She really knows this city!

Date of experience: August 2015
Judit_Budapest101, Owner at Budapest 101 Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2015

It was my pleasure to be your guide! It was really exciting to think about the vegan side of Budapest and put together a vegan tour for you, I love these customised experiences (: Good luck with your blog and your travels!

All reviews
"cemetery tour"
in 8 reviews
"private tour"
in 8 reviews
"recommend booking a tour"
"great information"
"kata"
in 5 reviews
"cemeteries"

Reviewed August 28, 2015

My family and me booked for this food tour and we were fascinating by Judit, our charming young lady tour guide.
Judit runs her own business and knew exactly how to meet our needs as mixed ages group – start from 10y up to over 70y.
Judit has enormous and impressive knowledge about food, wine, coffee as well as regard to history, social dynamics and urban trends.
Judit took us from one amazing spot to another during almost 6h that run swiftly, all spots were chosen carefully with attention and love.
We had lucky to explore Budapest flavors and atmosphere through Judit eyes and we will definitely book to other tours guided by Judit next time we will visit Budapest
Highly recommend!

Date of experience: August 2015
Judit_Budapest101, Owner at Budapest 101 Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2015

Dear Limor, thank you so much for this review and for choosing us (: I had a great time with you and your family, every generation of it is a delight! I really hope to meet you again one day.

Reviewed August 23, 2015

We booked Budapest 101 after our first choice tour didn’t have availability. It was very fortunate for us as we immensely enjoyed our tour with Budapest 101. It is a small organization with only a few guides, but Judit, who runs it, was just amazing. They have food tours and cultural tours, but our desire was to have a tour that was a combination of interesting foods (because we love food) and sights for 8 hours, and she delivered by creating a custom tour, capping the day off with a most amazing river boat ride.

Judit met us at our hotel and we headed off to the market down the street where we sampled various cheeses, peppers, and fermented pickles. Other food stops included a Hungarian lunch consisting of various sausages, stuffed peppers, breads, and of course beer. I was amazed at how flexible and generous she was. If we passed by an interesting eatery and expressed an interest, she didn’t hesitate to buy some for us to try, even if it wasn’t part of her original plan. Other stops included a local coffee bar, the Jewish district for sweets, wine tasting, a ruin bar, and a soup restaurant. Her knowledge of Hungarian food was impressive and she knows many small interesting stores off the tourist strip. You won’t leave hungry.

Along the way, Judit took us to many of the sights, highlighting interesting historical facts, architecture, and also providing us insights to Magyar culture. She showed us an interesting contrast between the old and new, buildings, monuments, and artifacts that were pre-communist, examples of those from during the communist era, and those that are now being restored.

The finale of our day with Judit occurred later in the evening. She hired us a private water taxi on the Danube where we could see the parliament and many other buildings lit up. She even brought drinks to end the evening on a perfect note.

We highly recommend Judit and are so happy we found her. She is extremely easy to work with, communicates well (both via email prior to the tour and during the tour), is friendly, and reliable. There is no doubt that she will give you a tour that will meet your every expectation. Do the tour early during your stay as she will give you many tips and ideas of other things to do during your time in Hungary.

Date of experience: July 2015
Judit_Budapest101, Owner at Budapest 101 Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2015

Thank you for such a detailed review, it's so nice of you!
I had a great time with your lovely family, I am always very glad when I can spend a full day with people who are so open to learn about our city - and our food (:
I hope to see you again one day!

Reviewed August 10, 2015

My friend and I were in Budapest for the weekend and decided to do the food tour on the Sunday as many other operators did not run tours on Sundays. Mate was our guide and he took us on an amazing food tour of the Jewish quarter. We ate lots of delicious traditional Hungarian food as well as traditional food with a modern twist, visited the local market and food trucks and finished with a delicious wine tasting. Mate also shared lots of stories about Hungarian history, culture and lifestyle and took us to many places that we never would have found on our own. I honestly recommend this tour to anyone who loves food (definitely no need for breakfast beforehand!) and wants to experience Hungarian culture through the eyes of a local!

Dear Kirsten,
Thank you so much for your lovely feedback! I am happy we could offer you a Sunday tour, this is why private tours are great, we can cater to everyone's special needs and interests. And this way you could see one of our favourite things: the Sunday farmers market (:

See more reviews
Reviewed July 28, 2015

I have been living in Budapest for about a year and wanted my mom to see some more off-the-beaten-path parts of the city that I hadn't seen before either. Judit's Budapest 101 Cemetery Tour, which includes both the Kerepesi cemetery, where many famous figures of Hungarian history are buried, and an adjacent closed Jewish cemetery, looked perfect. The tour price was a flat 60 euro, so I invited a friend along last minute. Judit very kindly squeezed us into her schedule with only a few days' warning, met us there early, and agreed to visit the Jewish cemetery first so my friend could go to class afterwards.

The tour was so interesting, my friend ended up skipping her class and staying for the entire tour. Judit is really passionate about history and showed us a lot of interesting architectural and historical features in both cemeteries, weaving them into a narrative of Budapest's history. We visited both "famous" graves and monuments and lesser-known or unknown people whose tombstones provide hints to those little personal stories that are one of my favorite things about history. The Jewish cemetery in particular is a really poignant bit of history, in that it looks like it's been abandoned for a long time, although it shouldn't be - most of the people who would have tended those graves were killed in the Holocaust or emigrated. The contrast with the Kerepesi cemetery next door is stark.

Although the tour was only scheduled for ~3 hours, it ended up closer to 4. I would very much recommend Budapest 101 tours and hope I'll have a chance to go on more in the future. The cemetery tour is great if you're looking for something historic and different from the usual.

Date of experience: July 2015
Judit_Budapest101, Manager at Budapest 101 Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2015

Dear Melissa,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and nice review. Your interest in Hungarian history and culture is very inspiring, and I loved your photos and captions on your Instagram! It was a pleasure to meet all three of you and I hope we'll see each other again!