“Average authentic Hungarian taste”

Frici Papa Kifozdeje
Ranked #243 of 3,204 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Vienna, Austria
“Average authentic Hungarian taste”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is one of these places that serve traditional food at low price and really don't bother about presentation or aesthetic pleasure (I am not sure they care about any gustatory pleasure either for that matter). I had goulash with gnochi (which resembled Slovak halusky more than the Italian special)- the goulash was thick and meaty and I felt it until the next day. I wouldn't recommend this place if you want high-quality Hungarian cuisine- there is more nicer and not that expensive places around. It's basically a cheap eatery.

If you want to try some good local food, you can go to the Central Market Hall (1093 Budapest, Vámház körút 1-3, Hungary), first floor. It's usually packed with people but the food there is very varied and just amazing.

• Visited September 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baildon, United Kingdom
“I always eat here when in Budapest”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I just love the gomba paprikas (mushroom stew) with nokedli. I used to live around the corner & eat here regularly; the waiters always knew what I was going to order. Over time I have seen it become more & more popular with travellers however refreshingly the prices & menu have remained the same. Although they now have the menu in English too. The staff are always rushed off their feet; however the service is always very quick & you get plenty of good food. But be warned the breadbasket is sometimes not so fresh if left on the table after the last guests. Hungarians tend to visit for lunch & there are normally more foreigners later in the day. But it is still very poplar with locals & at peak times expect to wait for a table (you never have to wait too long). I always return to Frici Papa when back in Budapest.

• Visited September 2013
Vienna, Austria
“Authentic Budapest Dining”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

If you don´t care much for an exquisite setting but want to have really good food for an incredible cheap price, you are right at Frici Papa.
They serve the best beef Goulash I had in my whole life. Also the mushroom Goulash is phantastic - and both together where only about six Euro.
Don´t miss the Somloi galoushka - an exqusite dessert typical for Hungary.
The waiter is really fast - the food was on the table only eight minutes after ordering.
Friendly staff; so altogether it is not astonishing, there are always some American students in the restaurant.
Bus stops almost in front; parking is a hazzle during the week like in all of the Inner City of Budapest.

• Visited November 2013
Split
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very authentic feeling”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We came here during lunch hour and it was absolutely packed full.
Service was a bit all over the place - friendly, but very anxious, probably because it was so busy.
I had the mushroom gulash (very tasty) and the boyfriend had chicken paprikash (also quite nice).
But what we enjoyed the most was the KING PANCAKE - oh, the flavour! It was like tasting a little bit of sweet heaven. It was divided into the vanilla and chocolate side, filled with marmelade and cottage cheese.
If you come here, please don't skip the pancake.

Also, the prices were very reasonable. For €14, we had two main courses with garnishes, a salad, two desserts and two beers.

• Visited October 2013
Quebec City, Canada
“Express Hungarian Food”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We asked a local for good Hungarian Food at a fair price in an unpretentious restaurant and they right away recommended Frici Papa. We arrived at the restaurant 10 minutes before closing time but instead of telling us to leave, the staff was really friendly and urged us to come in, took our order right away and we had food on our table in less than 10 minutes! They could not offer us everything on the menu but we were very happy with their recommendations. Great food and very affordable. 2 big plates and 2 glasses of wine for under 14$ including tip. If you want to have dinner here, I would suggest between 5pm and 8pm.

• Visited July 2013