“Return visit”

Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Andrássy út
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Having eaten here in October 2012 and 2013, I visited again on my last visit and was not disappointed at the quality of food, service or value for money.

Would highly recommend this fabulous café located next to the Opera House.

Highlights for me were the cream of potato soup with pork sausage slices, yummy and the steak pie.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

This restaurant is conveniently located next to the opera house on Andrassy Boulevard. Its decor is early 20th century. The tables are well-positioned so that there is some space between diners; you can therefore have a quiet and un-distracted conversation with your table-mate. The wait staff are fluent in English, courteous, and attentive. Our food was unbelievably delicious. I had a Hungarian meat dish with three kinds of pork and some roasted potatoes. It was perfectly cooked--and the portion was huge. My friend and I liked the place so well that we went back again, and I couldn't resist having the same meal. The prices were quite reasonable by American standards (about $15 a plate). This restaurant is apparently very popular, as it was jammed on Saturday night. The staff set up a table for us in the bar area, which was fine as well as accommodating. Had we known how full it would be, we would have made reservations. Meat lovers should not miss this restaurant!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Ate there for lunch, had chicken Caesar salad and cappuccino. Both were great, beautiful restaurant. tables inside and outside.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

One evening we fancied going to hear some Hungarian music. Callas is right next door to the Opera so gets busy before and after performances. The music was pretty good (if you like that sort of thing) and the food was good but probably over-priced. The wine was expensive and beware of the waiters who never lose an opportunity to sell you either a Champagne Cocktail to start or a Takaj dessert wine to finish. Overall my partner enjoyed the music and the evening though I found it a bit boring and expensive.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I recently journeyed to Budapest for 7 days. During my trip, I fell in love with this restaurant. Upon entering the majestic entryway I knew the restaurant was going to be great. The service staff went above and beyond to make sure all of my needs were met. I ate at the restaurant twice during my stay and every meal that our party had was delicious. I highly recommend the Pork medallions as well as the Ravioli.