“Just aside of the Opera House…”

Callas Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #401 of 3,608 Restaurants in Budapest
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Andrássy út
Reviewed March 13, 2014

After a recommendation from the concierge of our Hotel, we have had dinner at Callas Café, end of December, 2013.
The restaurant is housed in an historical, art deco’ room, characterized by old, stylish furniture; decoration on the vault and on the walls belong to the same period. The music was excellent: the small orchestra, conducted by a high performing “primo violino”, was perfectly tuned, engaged and had great fan while playing; it was probably a little too noisy, but we appreciated it a lot. The compositions proposed where from Viennese authors (like Strauss) and well aligned with the historical place. The food wasn’t as good as music: nevertheless, still acceptable. Good choice of typical, local wines. The service was kind and correct: we noted a mistake in the bill and the gentle waiter brought us two glasses of Tokai, to pardon his error. I recommend this restaurant if you please to have a nice dinner, in the most fascinating part of Andrassy Avenue, remembering the old beautiful times…

Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We sat there for coffee so i have no opinion on the food. I must say it was a great latte with amaretto and my husband had by far the best lemonade with passion fruit. 'The best he had in Budapest' as he claims. The mille feuille with apples was a great surprise. I would definitely recommend it fir coffee. Though remember that everything is a bit pricey in Andrassy ut.

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We read mixed reviews about this restaurant before we visited on Saturday evening before the opera. People seemed to remark negatively on the price, quality of food etc. and it nearly put us off going. I'm so glad that we visited as we had a lovely time. The ambiance was fantastic and it really added to our overall experience of our special first night at the opera. In comparison to Irish prices it was great value for money, there are of course cheaper places but considering that it's right beside the state opera house and surrounded by high end shops what more do people expect!! Service was great too.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stopped in tonight around 10 pm. The building inside is very nice, the service is professional and polite, the 4 piece band that was playing was lovely. The wine's by the glass were good, if a bit pricey. The one flaw the restaurant has, is the food is not good. My fish was the best of the lot, medium cold, slightly overdone and salty served on some dried out noodles. The lamb, my companion had was horrid, plain lamb no flavoring and a couple of cabbage leaves as the side. The tapas plate others in my party had, for 3200 forint, was 5 small plates of spreads and some bread. Not tapas at all. All in all the meal was way over priced and bad. One of the most disappointing meals I have had in a long time.
I would not go back.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We had stopped at this coffee twice for a break of hot chocolate and apiece of a great cake- highly recommended.