“Perfect Location”

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Andrássy út
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This aptly named restaurant is next-door to the Opera House which is a big plus when the temperature drops and the wind is blowing! Nonetheless, we debated eating at Callas, because we suspected it might be a tourist trap. We couldn't have been more wrong. Our seating was comfortable, the ambiance was gracious, the service was perfect and each of us enjoyed a late lunch featuring not-too-heavy-handed traditional Hungarian cuisine, including a choice of creative salads. We would return.

There are newer reviews for Callas Cafe & Restaurant

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We booked a table here for dinner before going to the opera, great food and atmosphere, I would recommend it to anyone, right next door to the opera house too so out one door and in the next!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We came here before going to the opera. We made it clear we wanted to be in and out fairly quickly. We only ordered one starter and one main. It took 40 minutes for food to served. The service was offhand and almost surly. The food was OK bot no better than that. There are other nicer places just a short walk away,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had been to the opera and just stopped in for coffee and dessert. There was a large selection of pastries as well as coffees. Our server was very kind and welcoming, and his English was excellent. He suggested a sweet wine that is a Hungarian treat. It was a little too sweet for me but I was glad to try it. There was an understated sophistication about this place, especially the decor. My favorite part was the live quartet playing while we were there. They were wonderful and gave the place a lot of charm. When we were ready to head back to our hotel, they called a taxi for us and made sure the driver came in to get us.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I come there from time to time, for a glass of wine, or for a cake with coffee.
If you walk the Andrassy street, you need to get there.
Just because of the atmosphere that emphasise a mood of the district surrounding Opera.

I didn't eat there, just once I have ordered a lemon soup, during the hot afternoon in summer, it was good.
The most interesting is to sit on the terrace.

The waiters are quite nice. Inside interior is also impressive, very "old-time".

Once I have seen the performance of traditional Hungarian dancers,
I guess if you come to dine there, you may see it.

On other times, if you sit inside, an awesome band is playing classical music on violins and other instruments.

Good cafe, once again.