“High quality restaurant in amazing location”

Callas Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #397 of 3,581 Restaurants in Budapest
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Andrássy út
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had a reservation dinner here with my friends in the evening one weekend. As somebody mentioned, weekends there is a live orchestra (which we didn't know) and so we were pleasantly surprised with that. Sat outside, we could still hear all of it - a great mix of classical pieces, with light opera-type singing (how convenient, as the restaurant is right next to the Opera - you see it while sat outside at least), sometimes smooth jazz, sometimes Hungarian gypsy pieces for orchestra. It was very pleasant, all of us thought so. The waitor we got was Hungarian with a beautiful British accent, very helpful and sophisticated waitor, who was even ready to accomodate us inside when we asked (then we changed our mind). The food was amazing, so representable, special, and very tasty. The whole setting with the food made you feel important and good. We had desserts too, and they were also tasty. The menu has really special foods, from duck, veil, to rabbit and so on. The prices were higher than at an average restaurant, but it really was worth it. The only "negative" would be that when it got a bit chilly outside, there were no heating lamps - so take clothing with you if planning to sit outside in the autumn! A memorable evening, and I recommend!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We chose Callas because of the setting and for the chance to listen to classical music live rather than piped pop music. Slightly concerned about the comments about the service.

Well, we had poor service alright; orders taken and nothing served. No menus for people who joined us; wrong drinks and eventually wrong food. Before any drinks orders were taken, we were on the point of leaving but stuck with it, to be rewarded by one of the funniest turns we have ever experienced.

The waiter was drunk as a skunk; which explained why he got so much wrong. But he was hilarious. When we complained that drinks were taking so long to arrive, he slurred "Yes, my friends, you are surely thirsty. I am thirsty too."

We demanded and got another waiter and then enjoyed a first rate meal. The cooking was superb - everything was excellent. And although a bit expensive for Budapest (25 euros per head), we thought it good value.

BTW, the waiter to avoid looks very like the Syrian president, Assad.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

The restaurant is beautifully located next to the Opera house. It has both exterior and inside seating. The atmosphere is just amazing.
We went last year by mistake and loved their food quality and presentation. This year we made sure to go back again.
The home made ravioli is a must as well as the the beef and goose liver combo plate.
On weekends there is a live band that sings all the "oldies" classics from all over the world.
The menu changes every six months so its nice if you go like us every year, you have new things to taste.
The staff are friendly and always willing to accommodate your request.
Deserts are not the best. They are pre-plated and you have to choose from the desert display.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I had dinner here tonight looking to enjoy a nice meal and music. The waiter refused to seat me on the patio (despite plenty of open tables) and service was slow. The food was average and a bit pricey, but the live opera singer and band did not disappoint. I skipped dessert since I couldn't be bothered to pay for more bad service.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a lovely restaurant, relatively smart but relaxed. The food was imaginative, excellent and stylishly prepared and was very good value - my friend and I had 3 courses, a bottle of wine, mineral water and coffee for about £30 a head (the wine list is made up of rather pricey wines but the house wine was excellent and reasonably priced). The waiters were helpful and friendly and the restaurant itself is beautifully decorated. Certainly the best meal I had in Budapest. Strongly recommended.