“Very positive surprise, incredible beer”

KonyvBar & Restaurant
Ranked #69 of 4,232 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Erzsebetvaros
Description: Books and unquenchable affection for gastronomy called up this restaurant, where we can live for both of our passion. We offer a weekly changing books inspired cuisine traditional menu and excellent drinks in addition to taste. Have you ever felt while reading a good script the food flavor in your mouth? Have you ever wanted to try pumpkin juice of Harry Potter and the butterbeer? Want to know what flavor has the Fifty Shades of Grey? Have you ever imagined what could eat Pooh and Piglet, and you are wondering what kind of food could be Tuskevar, or Animal Farm or Gullivers Travells? Visit us and we'll show you how we are inspired by the books! If you do not want to miss your favorite book, come every week!
Reviewed September 9, 2016

I have chosen this restaurant by virtue of reviews on tripadvisor. I ordered roasted salmon, beans with safran sauce, fresh potatoes which comprised a very palatable dish I was looking for that day.
I was not thisty in fact but for a digestion purpose I decided to take a beer described as a craftsmen one. It was stunning! I would have not imagined that although I was there merely for dinner I may find one of the best beers I've ever tried. Absolute top!
Additional plus given for pleasant service.
Surroundings may be perceived as unacceptable which would be unfair. Nonetheless Budapest is replete with remarkable venues, it consists of post-communism sites alike - good lesson for younger visitors.

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank Verumista

Reviewed September 9, 2016 via mobile

I was attracted by the theme: Library restaurant. The idea was good, every so many weeks change the chef menu according to certain book. But the taste is disaster: the chicken was totally tasteless, the theme duck liver was cooked with berries, never had any risotto with only sour taste. My husband and father ordered salmon, they are just ok. The price/ taste combination is poor. Not recommended !

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed September 8, 2016

The food was very good indeed, and our waiter Sandor A. was great - friendly and available while calm and laid back at the same time. We had great recommendations for for wine and cocktails as well as Hungarian whiskey and liquor - they have a really well chosen selection, and we were offered tastes before selecting. The themed menu is brilliantly quirky, my soup (served in a bowl that would make any canine howl with appreciation) was delicious - veg base, succulent smoked fish and fried panissa for texture - as was the other soup - sour cherry and marzipan! Mains were also very tasty. We'll return as soon as we can.

Date of visit: September 2016
3  Thank swift108
Reviewed September 6, 2016

We came here for dinner, and had great service and food. Unfortunately the book was Lassie, which did not really have dishes to our taste, but they looked amazing from what we saw of other diners. We ate a la carte, and I still think about the chicken and sugar snap pea risotto dish even now - yum! No A/C which was a little problem, but the book store decor made up for that. I also had a pasta starter for which they donated 2e to the Italian earthquake fund - a nice touch. The waiters were really friendly, and as I had pre booked a table, a table was waiting there for us literally with my name on it!

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank l0nd0nrain
Reviewed September 4, 2016

A restaurant with its specials menu based on a book - in our case Lassie Goes Home (I kid you not!) I had to join in so as you can mix and match chose the bone marrow starter - which was nice but nothing to write home about. They do love a duck dish in Hungary so I had this and was not disappointed. Lovely - they even mixed two mains together so that my partner could have the meal she wanted. Service was friendly and not rushed. All in all - worth a go!

Date of visit: August 2016