All reviewsnice roomhotel is situatedlovely hotelbreackfastcity
Reviewed November 11, 2015

This is very much a four or five star setting; old steam boat on the river. However the hotel itself would be closer to a three star hotel. Room was very good, spacious and comfortable.
The staff were very helpful.
One crazy item to watch out for before you book: I booked on line and got a fantastic rate of less than €20.00 per night (November 2015) for four nights. When seeking to extend my stay by a few nights, the desk staff could not reduce the price below €35.00 per night. So if you consider the Aquamarina it would be worth while to examine all the websites long in advance.

Room Tip: Book in advance.
  • Stayed: November 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2015

My wife and I stayed at the aquamarina at the beginning of October as part of our anniversary trip to Budapest. We were already aware of how far from the town centre the hotel was but this wasn't an issue for us - the gimmick of staying on a boat probably attracts many people to aquamarina just like ourselves. On arrival (at around 1430) we were told our room wasn't ready. This was because the hotel had a large wedding party in for the evening and they were trying to get us a room ready away from the potential noise and celebrations. This didn't cause us too many problems as we decided to go for a wander by the Danube. There are plenty of eateries and cafes along the waterfront right outside the hotel, very similar to the street food type places you would get by the banks of the Thames in central London. We went back an hour later and the room was ready. The young concierge was very helpful and seemed to be very stressed out dealing with the many wedding guests so a big thanks to him! He also helped us to book a boat cruise which probably worked out slightly cheaper than the usual salespeople in and around the city. We stayed in room 103 which is right next to the reception and looks out onto the shore as opposed to the river. The TV is black and white and very small. This wasn't a big issue as we had no intentions of spending much time in the room in a city as beautiful as Budapest but it still raised my eyebrows in 2015 :-).
It didn't take long to realise that despite the best intentions and efforts of the hotel staff, there is nowhere on a small boat that will shield you from the noise of a wedding party! That night the music obviously carried on until the early hours and without my earplugs I think I'd have struggled to get some sleep. Room 103 is also a bad place to stay if you're a light sleeper as the lights that line the deck of the boat make it seem like daytime outside the room due to the lack of (necessary) blackout curtains.
Day two made us realise that the hotel really had been in a rush to get us our room on the day we arrived, as we found a pair of socks next to the bed that well, weren't ours!
The room itself whilst small is nice, has a working fridge and the shower is also effective. If you're expecting to take advantage of the free wifi, don't take room 103. We got no reception whatsoever and had to use the lobby for it, again not a huge deal but we planned some of our days before setting off and unfortunately couldn't do that in the comfort of the room like we'd hoped.
The breakfast was much in keeping with the reviews. I prefer a bowl of cereal over a cooked breakfast so I was fine, the breakfast available is very much pan European, with cold meats and fish the order of the day with some hot food available. The coffee is revolting unfortunately.
Taxis from the hotel are around 4000 ft but expect to pay double that if you return back in the evening by taxi. Public transport is relatively straightforward to navigate (and runs til late at night), despite the Hungarian language being so different to English, French or Spanish - a 15 minute bus ride and 20 minute tube will have you in the heart of the centre (belvaros on a map is the best place to start). If anyone wants specific details on how to get there please ask.
Budapest is absolutely wonderful and is arguably the best of at least 15 cities I've visited in Europe. There are plenty if reviews of what to do on here, but be prepared - if you want to do things either side of the river, public transport isn't brilliant to do that crossing (unlike the London Underground for instance) you're much better to plan to do the buda stuff one day and the pest things another. Either that or be prepared for a lot of walking!
We would definitely return to Budapest but we wouldn't stay at aquamarina for several reasons. Partly because of the distance from town (which as I said, we knew about so is not necessarily a negative) but the main reasons being the standard of the room and breakfast and the fact that if a wedding party is in, a lack of earplugs will ruin your night (unless you're invited of course) and if it isn't, a shoreside room will mean you'll want to sleep with the covers over your head.
The staff are helpful and had we complained about anything I'm sure they'd have helped, but dirty socks, lighting outside the room and the noise were all things that had either already happened or were outside of their control.
It is however, a nice secluded area next to the Danube, with several places to relax right outside (this may be dependent on season) that is less than 1000 forint per person and approx 45 minutes from the centre. The city is inexpensive and there are countless things to see and do. At risk of turning this review into a 5 page essay, again if any readers would like any more info please ask.

Room Tip: Don't choose 103!
  • Stayed: October 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2015 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay here. As people have said it's a reasonable distance out of time so you can't pop back during the day when you feel like it. But that did mean we did a lot of things. That's the biggest inconvenience though as actually getting in and out is easy. Walk 10 minutes, get the 34 bus and then the metro. The whole process takes about 50 minutes.
The plus point is you're out of the hussle and bustle of the city and the nearby bars are chilled out and cheap. However as we came out of season they tended to close by 9. Metros run til at least 11.30 and buses until 1am. Restaurant also wasn't open but breakfast was served and it was decent with omelette and sausages plus contimemtal. Staff were all helpful. Rooms pleasant. WiFi slow most of the time but free and useful to have. River views lovely and an enjoyable stay. If there's wedding party on can hear music but most nights were quiet. It's something a bit different. Very good value for what we paid (at budget end). Not 4 star, I'd say 3. But clean and comfortable. Has air conditioning too.

Stayed: September 2015, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2015

As my new workplace its a wonderful place surrounded with green aera and some restaurants. Its the best place having a dinner or just chill out for a while...also its out enough from the city center of Budapest, so there is top silence around.

Room Tip: They have 2 special Apartments with best view on the 2nd floor. They are big family friendly Aparments !
  • Stayed: September 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2015

I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and thought this would be a much nicer place than what it was. When I arrived I was surprised at how rundown, old and rusty the boat was in real life. When I stepped inside I was hit with a pungent smell that was so overwhelmingly nauseating. I tried to give it a chance and went into my room, but the smell was there as well and I got a migraine. There are much better hotels at this price point that are not so old, dingy, and smelly.

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled solo