“Great food”

Soul Cafe and Restaurant
Ranked #122 of 3,161 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Vancouver
“Great food”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I had the pork shank, which was better than any Schweinehaxe that I've had in Germany. My wife had the chicken, which was excellent. The hot chocolate desert is also a wow. The house wine at 6,600 Forints ($33) a bottle was also a bit of a wow, but I'll put that down to having spent too much time in Spain recently. A great place, with good service.

1 Thank Coylum

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Trondheim, Norway
“Enjoyed all of moments”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We were here at last night at eight people. My friends from Norway first taste the famous Hungarian palinka . We tried different tastes. There were in black cherry and elderberry too. After the shots we choose the special degustation menu. There was cold duckliver, warm goose and pumpkin soup, chicken in the main, and the new style gundel pancake was so excellent.
We enjoyed all of moments in the Christmas atmosphere.
Congratulations for the Soul Team,
next year we're coming back.

“Best meal in Budapest”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Unfortunately we discovered the Soul Cafe on our last evening in Budapest..... We'd had some mediocre meals in various Budapest restaurants on previous evenings and I wish we'd found this one sooner.

Great service, wonderful food in a very acceptable setting.

1 Thank Steve J
Palo Alto, California
“Delicious food, great value”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I stopped at Soul Cafe for lunch after reading about it in Rick Steves' Budapest. We arrived on a Saturday around 1:30 pm and were only one of two parties there. I was initially concerned by what this emptiness suggested about the food, but the Soul-ful fare ended up defying my worries. The restaurant is one longish room with a bar at the end opposite the front door. Despite it's openness, it's an intimate space that feels like a cozy living room. Our table was by the fireplace and we sat on two huge leather wingback chairs. Sitting back between courses talking to my husband, listening to the restaurant's jazz/soul/funk tunes, and just enjoying being out of the crisp winter air, I couldn't have been more comfortable.

The food is Hungarian with a modern twist. Our mouths were watering just looking at the menu. In addition to a standard menu there were intriguing chef's specials, such as goose leg with pancakes and blueberries. Despite the specials' tantalizing nature, we ended up sharing a few dishes off the standard menu. To start, we had the goose and pumpkin soups. The goose soup was broth-based with some julienned veggies, dumplings, and goose something (gizzard? liver?). The broth had a decent flavor, but it wasn't remarkable. The pumpkin soup, on the other hand, had a delicious unexpected kick to it. We think it was curry. We were practically licking our bowls clean, it was so good.

For our main dish we split the chicken leg with goose liver, creamed cabbage, and roasted chestnuts. The portion was generous for a somewhat upscale place, and the meat had been braised to perfection--it was literally falling off the bone. Our server informed us that the goose liver was in there somewhere, but we never noticed it. Even with the chicken's tender disposition, the star of the show was the creamed cabbage. Underneath the creamy texture was a savory depth that at the same time satisfied and left you wanting more. While enjoying it I was planning how I could recreate it at home. The chestnuts were unfortunately overcooked, but they were just a garnish.

We also had the caesar salad, and were pleased by the freshness of the lettuce and the unique take on the dressing; it was a bit tangier than usual and rusty in color. We also had a cucumber salad. It was good, but for what it's worth I completely forgot about it until I looked through my pictures. We ended our meal with the cheese plate, which consisted of a variety of cheeses, three different preserves (house-made, I think), a few walnuts and grapes, and a basket of toasted bread. The cheeses seemed a little short of artisinal, but it was a lovely end to a satisfying meal. Our bill was $46, service included. We'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Visited November 2013
Pennsylvania
“Amazing food and good service.”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We went here because it was close to our hotel and the reviews were good. Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly and given our choice of tables (it was a Thursday, so not too busy yet). No house wine, but they do have wine by the glass. The waiter chose a nice, dry red for us that went well with our meals. I had a special, duck legs (5 of them!) With blueberries and potato pancakes, and my husband had wild boar in a paprika sauce with sheep cheese dumplings. Everything was cooked perfectly and the sauces for the dishes were delicious. We finished off the meal with a cheese plate and a bit of Unicum each. The cheeses were all very good, and had homemade marmalades to pair with. Total bill for two with tip was around $60. This place is perfect if you want to try modernized Hungarian food. We would definitely return!

• Visited November 2013