“Inconsistent Kitchen-Order Carefully and it could be Fun”
Review of Iguana

Iguana
Ranked #131 of 3,459 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I had a very tasty two course meal at Iguana. The only problem is that I had to order four courses to get it. Some of the food produced by the kitchen is incredibly tasty and highly authentic. While at least one dish I had was inedible. I was really surprised that the same kitchen could produce such delicious food on one hand and such ghastly food on the other. Nonetheless, the general vibe of the place if fun and if you order carefully I am sure you will have a fun night out with friends but if you are looking for a quiet intimate date or to have a quiet conversation with friends, you should probably look elsewhere.

Iguana sits on a rather picturesque, tree-lined street, Zoltan ut., in Pest near to Parliament. The end of the street is pedestrian only so it has a quiet nice feel to it. I arrived on a Friday afternoon and I saw a few tables outside and I couldn't help but feel this was a nice place to have a drink.

The massive two story dinning room is adorned with a enormous bar, gigantic, rather fun artwork on the walls and all forms of kitsch memorabilia. Some may find it tacky but I think it kinda goes with the vibe of the place. A giant sculpture of a drunk mariachi slumped into a chair engulfs one corner of the bar. A variety of latin music blasts through the speakers. The business cards feature two drunk mariachis cavorting while their wives/girlfriends look on disapprovingly. Nothing about this place is subtle. So be prepared for a loud, raucous bar scene when the sun goes down. If that's what you and your friends are looking for, enjoy. If not, perhaps slip in during the afternoon.

I ordered chips and salsa, served with two kinds of tomato salsa mild and spicy. Both were tasty and fairly authentic, probably as authentic as Tex-Mex gets in Europe. I could certainly see ordering these and a few drinks and having some fun with friends. Next I tried to taquitos filled with chicken. Despite a huge portion of chips and salsa, the taquitos were small and had no flavor. I couldn't taste any chicken or seasoning or flavor of any kind. It was generic fried goop.

Next I ordered a house special chicken enchiladas with chocolate mole. This is advertised on two separate pages of the menu. What arrived was soft mass of chicken and tortillas. A chocolate mole (sauce) covered every inch of the plate and had the consistency of crude oil. The thick chocolate "mole" was cloyingly sweet with nothing to balance the sweetness and the taste of chocolate. I managed two and a half bites before I called my waitress over and sent the food back before I could explain why she said, "Because of the chocolate sauce", I nodded. That suggested to me that other people have sent it back with the same complaint.

I was about to give up but I remembered another reviewer praised the fajitas. So I asked for steak fajitas, which were quickly brought to the table. I have to say that even though I was not expecting much they were absolutely delicious. The refried beans, arroz (rice), tortillas, and other fixings were delicious, authentic, and were otherwise great. They were kind enough not to charge me for the enchiladas.

If you can take the noise and the bustle and order carefully you could have a fun night out at Iguana. I can't for the life of me figure out why somethings are so tasty and others so dreadful.

My waitress was friendly and professional throughout my meal. Whenever I feel like chips, salsa, and fajitas I will stop by again.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great Cinco party. Got wrecked on authentic Jumbo Margaritas!! Tons of fun. Bring lots on HUF as it can be on the expensive side. They had great live music as well. Close stroll through liberty park is nice.

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Really great Mexican food. Cocktail selection is amazing. Service was very good when we were here on a Friday night. Relaxed atmosphere makes you want to stay for a few more cocktails after your meal. Heartily recommend

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was very impressed with the food here and the range of options they have is extensive. The jalapeno poppers were particularly delicous. Service was friendly and prompt and the prices were reasonable. I'd recommend going here with friends as the atmosphere is relaxed and lively.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Really nice restaurant with excellent selection of food - try the combo platters which are excellent. Fantasic value for money.