“Decent Mexican with a fun atmosphere”
Review of Iguana

Iguana
Ranked #114 of 3,278 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed March 6, 2013

After being here several times and trying other dishes that feel a bit tired, I always get the fajitas now. They are sizzling and fresh-tasting. The atmosphere is the best part of this place, especially if you are looking for a place with lots of expats! They do offer a nice breakfast/brunch and their margaritas are decent, too.

There are newer reviews for Iguana

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but it was just "OK". Food was OK, service OK, prices OK. They actually allowed dogs in, isn't that somewhat unsanitary? Owners fed them and all. Was three of them when I was there. The waiter was polite, but no more.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Finally, some good Tex Mex in Budapest!

We want to Iguana as a family of 5 with two guests. Our server, Diana, was probably one of the friendliest and most competent we have had in our six months in Budapest.

The cocktail menu is extensive, and our server helped with some recommendations. I had two cocktails from the "luxury cocktails" page, which were excellent. One was some sort of a Cosmo with ginger -highly recommend. My husband had a Cadillac margarita, which was "meh" (but we are margarita snobs) followed by a very delicious and fresh tasting Iguana beer with salt and lime. This is one of the best beers we have tried in Hungary, and I could easily picture sipping one on a hot, summer day.

Everyone at our table was happy with their meals. My husband especially loved a creamy jalapeño soup that he had. After months of trying bad, dry, stale tortillas in Budapest, we were so happy to find that Iguana uses decent corn and flour tortillas. My kids said the refried beans tasted authentic.

Okay, so the food is not going to taste quite like Tex Mex in the States. They are using Hungarian ingredients, after all. I found some things, like Taquitos and Tacos al Pastor, to be not quite as spicy as I am used to, but still very good. I usually try to stick with pork and chicken in Hungary, as that is what they do best, but my son had something with steak in it and said it was good.

Bottom line, we love this place and will be back.

Tips: make a reservation, because they are busy. The lighting in the front is more pleasant than the lighting in the back, (back has a weird, yellow tinge) so if that is important to you, ask for a table in the front. Also, since eating out in Budapest always takes two hours, consider delivery if you are in a hurry. They send their deliveries via taxi, so will deliver anywhere in the city, as long as you at for the taxi.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Great place with really good mexican food. Try their strawberry maragaritas and the fajitas, yum! I also recommend the guadaljara soup, and the tacitos. Good service, and a great place either to start a night out, or to heal a hangover the next afternoon.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went there just for a drink during our stay in Budapest. The bar looks funny and it is a tentative to let you feel mexican atmosphere...it remains just a tentative. Cocktail were quite godd but we decided to evaluate this bar just with one bullet for the service. The lady behind the bar was not gentle, not professional and not at all friendly with us. Also her english were poor. Maybe we went to the wrong bartender but we decided not to eat there for this reason.

1  Thank orso77