“A charming place for dinner/coffee”

Central Cafe and Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 161 Dessert in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Respecting the traditions and being open to novelty. That describes Central Café the best. We are proud of our ancestors and we know the challenges of today. Rather than evoking the past we would like to revive the mentality that once made this place one of the intellectual centres of Budapest. And we want to achieve this with your help. We can only provide the "scenery", the delicate ambience, the delicious meals, the delightful desserts or refreshing drinks, the atmosphere is created by you. All of you who visit us for a cup of coffee in the morning, for a lunch at noon, for a glass of wine before going to the theater, for a light dinner after it or perhaps participate in one of our events as creative audience.
Budapest, Hungary
“A charming place for dinner/coffee”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I took my friend here because I was curious to see how well the old, charming atmosphere was restored at the place (it used to be there already in 1887) and I'm glad I did. The menu had good traditional Hungarian dishes among others and both my friend and I thought they were delicious. The service was kind, and when having trouble choosing, the waitor offered to help us in choosing the right dish. Reading about somebody saying the dishes were small in portions, I must disagree - at least in our case we left with a full stomach. I liked the interior, you can spend a good while just inspecting your surroundings and enjoy the beauty. Also the little bar counter with CENTRAL written above looked great!
I recommend paying a sophisticated visit here.

• Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
“a bit of history”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Felt connected in small way to the cafe culture of 100 years ago cakes very good and food good and there was some good live music too

Visited April 2013
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“good to see the way Hungarians have breakfast”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

At least that is what I think of it.
This place is very large, has good employees, and good food. It is neat and clean. You can find french breakfast, bagels, or traditional breakfast, good coffee and cakes. We came here twice for breakfast in two days. I tried the special cake of the place sth like "central cake". A bit heavy for my taste, but people who like chocolate and sweet will love it. Plain cakes are good as well. You can find local lastes like jewish style eggs for breakfast or roasted tomatos and paprikas, with egg optional. 10 percent service cost is included which is quite a common thing is Budapest, for touristic places.

• Visited March 2013
Paphos, Cyprus
“Great Atmosphere Great Value”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

A must visit for a travellers to Budapest this great little restaurant full of local charm and atmosphere offers a great choice of well cooked quality food and great value highly recommended and if your lucky you may even pick a night when a great little pianist plays some great chillout tunes on the restaurants grand piano!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Mark H
Sebastien S, Manager at Central Cafe and Restaurant, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Sir!

I was delighted to hear that you were satisfied with our service and dishes in Central Café. We work for this opinions here day by day.

I hope you will visit us soon again!

Faithfully yours
Mihaly Blasko
“Left feeling hungry”
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful Cafe love the interior, however we had the lunch special, it was only ok to be honest, small portions perfectly/strategically presented!...All four of us were still hungry when we left.
I'd been there on other occasions and it was far better.

Wouldn't return sadly

Pat (Ireland)

Dear Sir!
According to your letter I would like to thank you your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your last visit in Central Kávéház. I am taking the occasion to thank you for your review.
I am going to clear up the matter.

I hope that you will visit us during your next trip.

Faithfully yours