“WOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Carne di Hall - CLOSED

Carne di Hall
Cuisines: European, Soups, Central European, Hungarian, International, Eastern European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: District I / Buda
Description: The American literature author John Steinbeck was told by his professor that he would be an author when pigs flew. When he eventually became a novelist, he started to print every book he wrote with the insignia: ‚Ad astra per alia porci“ (to the stars on the wings of a pig) to encourage his readers never to give up believing that nothing is impossible.We believe: in dreams and in the love of gastronomy there are no impossibilities! Enjoy our unique and innovative selection of delicious Hungarian fusion food only from the freshest and finest local ingredients! Taste our carefully selected Hungarian wines from award-winning cellars!
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“WOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Liking my food simple and basic, my wife has spent years trying to explain the finer details of fine cuisine, but contrasting flavours and textures sounded like a load of nonsense - until this evening.
Generous portions of piping hot, well cooked and well presented main courses began my conversion. When it came to the sweet, who would have thought pineapple, coconut and beetroot would work together but it was unbelievable. How about poppy seed pancake (I think) with prunes, kumquat, and salty caramel sauce and what I can only describe as foam! I now understand what my wife has been talking about-I've seen the light!
Sited between the parilament building and the chain bridge, but on the Buda (opposite) side of the river, it is less convenient to get to than what seems to be the more touristy Pest side, but make the effort to get there and you won't be disappointed.

• Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Best in Budapest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

You'll find Carne di Hall very unexceptional to look at. It is set on the main road on the Castle side of Budapest. Like many establishments you can look down into the dinning area from the road, however, please do not be put off by appearances.

To begin, the menu was very refreshing. All the food was authentic and there was sufficient variety to enable all but the fussiest of diners a suitable choice.

As with all the restaurants I ate at within Budapest, there was an array of wines to choose from, however, there were no spirits or liqueurs should you wish to have these. This was the single fault I could find at this restaurant.

I chose to have goose leg with puprle cabbage and it was an absolute delight. The portion size was generous considering the meat was very filling. The meat was succulent and fell from the bone. It was a delight to eat.

The dessert menu was more limited however, I chose what appeared to be an interpretation of a tiramisu which for all intensive purposes was very pleasant.

In total I believe the bill came to £26, which is fantastic considering I ate with my partner, and we shared a bottle of wine, and I had a starter. Some people have commented on the cost of Carne De Hall, however, I found that it was very similar to a number of other restaurants which fell below the taste of the food that was offered here.

Would highly recommend.

• Visited March 2013
Harlow, England, United Kingdom
“The best meal we ate in Budapest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had a fantastic meal for two in this restaurant while staying in the city. By far the best meal we had there and would recommend it to anyone.

From the Camembert fondue to the Goose leg and Fillet Mignon, everything was cooked to perfection and the service was top class.

A must visit when in the city.

1 Thank Darren H
Lenzburg, Switzerland
“Highly recommended restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We ate there three times and the food was always brilliant. Also the whole staff was friendly and the price for eating is low. My top recommendation is risotto with salmon or catfish.

Espoo, Finland
“It's ok”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

A bit expensive in local standards, but service is really efficient and friendly. The portions are quite small. Personally I didn't like my sauerkraut soup, but my wife told me that gulash soup was excellent. And vice versa, my wife told me that salmon filet was a bit dull (and there wasn't any purees as stated in the menu), but my filet mignon was tasty. The athmosphere is nice, unless you have to sit next to the kitchen door like us... Give this a try, it was a nice experience.

• Visited March 2013