“Fantastic italian food in Budapest!”
Review of TG Italiano

TG Italiano
Ranked #426 of 3,515 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am italian and I just had a job dinner at Tom George, in the center of Budapest. I was initially skeptical but the dinner was 100% fabulous.... Better than many in-Italy restaurants! All dishes based on very fresh and high quality ingredients. Strongly recommended!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We sat there waiting for someone to bring menus and after what seemed like the longest time a waiter showed up asking if we were ready to order! Hilarious ...! Then when he did bring the menus there was no apology at all.
Next when I asked him if there was a kids menu (my daughter is only 4), he vehemently and without apology said no we don't have it.
That's not all.... I ordered the grilled turbot to which he said without an apology that we don't have it and I should have sea bass.!!!!! He had such a bad attitude. The guy who served us however had better manners.
I had the grilled prawns which were ok but too salty. My husband had grilled spicy half chicken which was good but again too salty.
My daughters penne arrabiata (off the menu) was fine though.
The starter of submerging millefoglie was nice as well
The bill for one starter, two mains, one side, one half main and one drink was huf 13165 (Eur 50)
We did not walk away feeling happy with the meal so it was certainly not worth the high price tag.
It's good for tourist because the location is right next to the st stephens basilica so the vibe is nice as you get to see the hustle and bustle of tourists outside.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I've been at T-G a couple of times already, even before the full redesign. The place always has been focused on the international crowd, business dinners etc but service and food quality has not been victim of that. Until today.

food: starter and main at the right quality however the kitchen has been extremely slow (and between dishes to make it worst). The side-dish French fries was simply unacceptable (wet, stick together to a point where it was in one bulk)
Wine: chianti 2009 and montalcino 2010 both excellent! Very pleasant surprise
Service: never-ever.... Lack of attention, brought a different side-dish than ordered, unable to present the menu. I was just asking why, how??
Ambience/mood: quite nice. Obviously the interior design and the quality of materials matches the upclassy crowd, packed but to the extent where it is not bad (Friday evening). The outside streets are very nice around.
Price: higher than average

Overall verdict: worth to try but probably only at early start (than the kitchen might still cope and the dishes don't go out of fashion by the time served). Result might be random. Avoid if you look for authentic Italian or big portions

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Well you cannot expect a lot from Italian place in the city. And this is just pretending it is Italian. On the other side, service was very good, food was rather average but on quality side no problems. The atmosphere here was nice for a dinner. So, if next time we want to have enjoyable dinner without too much expectation from food, we will come again. Otherwise, just another average, good looking place in the city.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We sat there for lunch because the place looks very fine. First of all- it's very expensive, main dishes cost around 20/30$, but they come without any sides, if you'd like some fries you'll have to pay oft it another 4$.and then comes the flavor-it was the worst tasting sirloin I've ever had-the meat itself tasted funny, the veal milanesa tasted like a shoe. With three glasses of wine and still water we paid as much as 95$. Eat at much better and cheaper places close by.