“Wonderful”

Taverna Dionysos
Ranked #29 of 3,160 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: A little Greece on the riverbank of the Danube... Dionysos moved to the Pest bank of the River Danube on New Year's Eve 1993 and has since delighted the dwellers of our city with delicacies of Greek cuisine and delicious wine of its vineyards. The air is filled with the fragrance of char-grilled meats and fishes, fresh-cut vegetables and crispy-baked home style bread. Thanks to the friendly atmosphere, diners chit-chat casually around the tables, which blends pleasantly into the melodies of Greek music playing in the background. It is good to be in this restaurant. The pampering feeling of authentic entertainment accompanies the guests from the moment they enter up until they leave. We hope you visit us soon so that we may entertain you for a few hours here in little Greece of Budapest!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This restaurant faces across the Danube towards the Gelert Hills and is near to the Elizabeth Bridge. A small outside dining area and much bigger inside. We walked past 3 times and the restaurant was always busy...a good sign.
We sat outside in the evening sun. The staff were brilliant and the food was even better. Fantastic and plenty of it too. A real gem and while you should eat Hungarian food when in Budapest....treat your self to real Greek food and not expensive either. Well worth a visit. If we had not come to the end of a great weekend break, we would have returned for another meal.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“One of the best in Budapest!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Ate here a couple nights ago after searching out the place from trip advisor. We were extremely impressed with the quality of food, level of professionalism from the staff and with the restaurants' atmosphere. We shared the cold platter starter which included vine leaves, feta, cream cheese, olives, mashed potato and many other things. The portions here were huge and we also were given complimentary humous and bread. Mains arrived quickly after with delicious artichokes and grilled chicken souvlaki. I should also mention at this point the waiter was really honest in that he recommended us not to have sides as he thought the main dishes themselves would be enough and he was absolutely right. The food in all cases was well presented and very tasty. I should also add (echoing the comments from a previous reviewer) that the toilets were extremely clean and came with complimentary aftershave and razors/shaving foam, which I had not encountered until now! With a bottle of wine the price per person was also only about 20 pounds per person. It was a fair walk from our hotel but well worth the effort and if in Budapest we would definitely go back here! An excellent establishment which serves great tasting authentic Greek food!

Oslo, Norway
“Best Greek food outside Greece?”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This restaurant ranks highly on TripAdvisor, and I can understand why. Having had my fair share of gyros, souvlakis, moussakas and skordalia in Greece, I was more than sceptical when I saw the praise. Was I ever surprised! From the authentic tsatziki and bread, to the amazing and enormous pork souvlakis, the food was magnificent. Some people have complained about the service, but we were nothing less than amazed. Although the restaurant was fairly full, the staff managed to move all outside guests when a massive thunderstorm hit the area. I would and will definitely come back to Taverna Dionysos!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank frjohnsen
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent Fish, and Showmanship!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Was at this restaurant when I was in Budapest in June, and their ambience and decoration was pretty quaint and cute.. I tried their Fish, can't rem the exact name but it was under the Fish category and item 6, the waiters recommended that dish. They showed me the fresh fish of which they would be cooking, and after the dish was served they proceeded to debone it for me, leaving just the boneless freshly cooked fish meat for me! The fish was really good.. Although I was sitting outdoors and battling with one particular stubborn fly which wanted a taste of my fish too. But overall the place is great! At the end of the visit, they gave me a stalk of fresh unblossomed lily, which totally made my day. Excellent service :) would totally recommend it.. It has a nice seaport view beside it too!

1 Thank venuswei
Budapest, Hungary
“A Must Visit in Budapest”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Having been here a year ago, and not very satisfied with the service and attitude of the staff, we decided to give it another try and WOW were we surprised. You simply do not find this kind of service in Budapest.
Most places that boast great service are stiff and pretentious, then there are places with great food and bad service, or great service and not so good food...well friends; look no further to receive both!
Upon entering a very handsome and polite man greeted us with a friendly hello, then seated next to the door since we had requested a table on the terrace, we were sat in the restaurant until something came free (which I doubted they woudl actually do) and immedietly moved with all our plates, as if they felt personally responsible for fulfilling our request.
Our waiter was incredible, he had a calm professionalism about him which means, he was not TRYING to provide good service, he WAS good service from head to toe, you could tell he enjoyed his job and enjoyed giving good service. It honestly does not get any better than this when it comes to service.
The food is known for being delicious and high quality, again we chose something different and were so pleased we even ordered dessert which we rarely do!
Best is to reserve a table, very full but GO if you are in Budapest!