“Excellent price/quality value”

Trattoria Pomo D'Oro
Ranked #72 of 3,384 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very good Italian restaurant. Maybe not the best for Fine-Diners but suitable for family-travellers. There was good service, friendly staff and a marvelous menu with lots of options. Extra thanks for the pizzas.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,946)

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'm not used to go eating in Italian restaurants outside my Country (as you can see from my past reviews), but this time I was suggested twice to go to eat at Pomo D'Oro.

It is a nice restaurant, divided into three main rooms, one of them facing a glass wall with the kitchen just in front of you. Booking is almost compulsory: I was lucky to find a free table on a standard weekday dinner. Menu is very interesting: provided into three languages (magyar, Italian and English), it brings you through a huge choice of food, divided into meat and fish dishes. The 3 big rooms, very noisy, make the atmosphere not very intimate, more for groups than for romantic dinners.

I chose a Minestrone as appetizer, and I received the classic vegetable soup, in pieces: fresh, with a wonderful broth. Sadly, it was too salty for my taste, blocking you to season the meal with the classic Parmigiano cheese (it was a pity).

After, I went for a filet (medium cooked) and some roasted potatoes. Natural, no sauces, just salt and oil. The meat was perfectly cooked, and the potatoes were very very well prepared.
I really enjoyed this plate.

I decided to order a dessert, since they told me all the dessert were hand-made. I chose a Millefoglie (classic pastry with cream inside). I ordered it and after 20 minutes I was still waiting. I realized the waiter did not write my order when I saw the service maître coming and asking me about my order. After 2 minutes the dessert arrived, and it was a wonderful tasting experience, due to a very good cream and the crispy pastry.

A total of 50 € was the final bill, with a glass of red wine (average) and still water.

Vote: an average between 5 stars for filet and dessert, 2 stars for the Minestrone, 3 stars for the service (somehow confused, nobody said I'm sorry for the delay, etc).. Result: between 3 and 4 stars.

I'd give this restaurant another try, anyway, since I'm sure they can do much more better than what they offered me.

5  Thank Skiman
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Everything that we tried from the menu was so delicious and fresh. Very nice interior, professional service, reasonable price. Dont miss this place!

1  Thank DijanaZagreb
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in here on the recomm of the concierge... Lovely spo, reasonably priced and delicious if simple food! A must visit in my opinion.

1  Thank Jack B
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were searching for a not too touristic place to have lunch. We first went to the gastronomia which offers drinks, sandwiches and Italian delicacies to take home. The tortellini filled with spinach and ricotta and the mozzarella di buffalo are great.
Then we went to the restaurant and had both pizza, pizza pomod'oro for me and pizza milanese for my partner. The pizzas are very thin and crispy baked in the wooden fired stone oven. The restaurant is very spacious and the service friendly and good. We were surprised how spacious the restaurant is. It didn't look that big from the outside. The prices are very reasonable and the is very good.