“First Rate”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kacsa Restaurant

Kacsa Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 3,090 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The 'Kacsa' (Duck) Restaurant is situated in Buda in the heart of Vizivaros spreading at the feet of Castle Hill on the corner of Fo and Kacsa streets. Vizivaros (Watertown) ows its name to being part of the strategic waterways in the Roman times with its vivid harbour and bustling commerce.It still preserves the atmosphere of the old times with narrow alleyways in many places. The restaurant having been in operation for more than fifty years is established in one of these tarnished buildings. In 1987 it was the first restaurant in private ownership in Budapest. We offer typical Hungarian dishes beside the main specialities of the restaurant,the famous duck meals,which are served with an excellent selection of wine exclusively originating from Hungarian wine-cellars. 70 Different courses can be found on the menu from cold starters to desserts,among which 9 are duck specialities. Live gipsy music provides a memorable experience every night together with the intimacy of the dinner. The kind and friendly staff, the beautiful cover,live music and the elegant setting create a splendid atmosphere for consuming a family, a romantic or a business dinner as well as a meal with your friends. Visit our restaurant and make sure in person that it is not by chance that this restaurant is listed to be as one of the best of Fine Dining Restaurants.
Ayr, United Kingdom
“First Rate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a little slice of old Budapest - and all the better for it. Wonderful, friendly service; blast-from-the-past decor (in the best possible way) and, above all, really, really good food. As a family, we are very, very keen on eating well - we visited Kacsa three nights in a row and could still have explored the menu further.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Ashley H
kacsa1027, Manager at Kacsa Restaurant, responded to this review, December 15, 2014
Dear "AshleyH" It is good to hear that you were satisfied with us because your satisfaction is our greatest reward. I'm sorry answering late but I want to say thank you for sharing it here, with the community! We hope you will visit us again and because we are a small family restaurant out of tourist path please recommend us to your friends and family too.
With kind regards,

• Vietnamese first
LISBON
“VERY GOOD”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have just finished my dinner in KACSA and my opinion is: Very Good.
A good ambience , good music very well played in violin and piano..
The list is complete with a lot of hungarian dishes of duck, fish and other meats.
I tried a fish soup and after a roast duck. both excellent.
The price is very reasonable for what we receive
A very good experience.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank EUROPEU
Dear "EUROPEU " Heartfelt thanks for your very good feedback shared by the readers of Tripadvisor community. I'm sorry to answer a bit later but we are glad you were able to obtain an experience that is worthy of us to continue to propose to the general public. As you experienced the first importance in our restaurant to show the famous Hungarian hospitality, excellent local food, while enjoying live music in the evening. We welcome back, and because we are a small family restaurant we need assistance so let me ask you to recommend us to your family and friends as well.
Delray Beach, Florida
“Intimate Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

My first time at Kacsa was in the late 1980's when Hungary was still under Communist rule . I vividly remember my dining experience as being nothing less than elegant, superb, intimate with exceptional presentation . This was quite remarkable and impressive for a Soviet bloc country back in the 80's . Fast forward to 2012 , and I was quite surprised to find Kacsa was still in business 25 years later . I was very eager to return and experience the Hungarian culinary delights that left me with an indelible impression . I was not disappointed.
The decor is still reminiscent of a different era. Kacsa is in dire need of an interior upgrade to enhace the dining expereince . Aside from the drab, 40 year old wall paper and antiquated wall hangings, the food and service does not disappoint . The old world Hungarian style of preparation, presentation is complimented by a classical violinist and pianist . It is a truly intimate and lovely ambience!
About the food :
The menu is all Hungarian specialties , with an emphasis on duck dishes ( "kacsa" is duck in Hungarian , I am told ) . I remember my first dinner 25 years ago , ordering chateubriand and the impressive presentation cut tableside . I noticed it was still on menu and the lovely waitress advised me it was still prepared and presented as it was a generation ago . I started with a nice glass of local sparkling wine , followed by homemade goose foie gras . I must admit that French foie gras is definitely more intense and flavorful. The foie gras was accompanied by a glass of local semi sweet white wine . My main course was roasted duck with sour cherries and potatoes . Superb ! A nice bottle of smooth local red wine made my meal complete . The dessert was a half portion of a purred walnut crepe in chocolate sauce .
My dinner was a lovely culinary experience because of the exceptional food, presentation, service, and live classical ( and some gypsy) music .
Definitely a strong recommendation for food lovers and lovers.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Daniel V
Dear "Daniel V" Thank you for your outstanding feedback and I am sorry my answer coming late but I think that your review is special because twentyfive years later you searched for the same restaurant and you found it on as ecxellent quality as before. This is a unique thing in Hungary and the world as well.Thank you for sharing it here with the community. I sincerely hope that we can greet you at the latest in twenty-twentyfive years again! In the meantime because we are a small family restaurant we need assistance so let me ask you to recommend us to your family and friends as well please.
Yours sincerely,

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not too impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Arrived late on Sunday and it was one restrurant close to hotel that was open.
Food OK but over priced ompared with other restaurants we used the following nights.

Visited July 2012
kacsa1027, Manager at Kacsa Restaurant, responded to this review, November 30, 2014
Dear "floppy42" I know your review is two years old, but I would like to respond to it. I am sorry that you found our dishes just Ok. We represent the real Hungarian cuisine in authentic way for almost 30 years. Probably the "other" restaurant was not so elegant or was simpler than ours and you liked that on every weekday .You did not mention our service or anything else which is regrettable. I think your main reason for complaint was the price and it seemed you found your right place in Budapest in this respect too.

Copenhagen, Denmark
“Go for the duck”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Kacsa is a beautiful restaurant just near the Kiraly thermal baths. We went for lunch, where everything was half price!

However, the food was so good. One of the starters came with whipped cream out of a spray can. We had duck (their specialty) for the main course, which was delicious. The desserts were also disappointing - again, fake whipped cream and chocolate sauce from a bottle, not home made.

Also note that they do not accept credit cards.

• Visited June 2012
kacsa1027, Manager at Kacsa Restaurant, responded to this review, December 14, 2014
Dear "oldmangamer " Thanks for your feedback shared by the readers of Tripadvisor community. I am glad that you enjoyed the duck dishes and at the same time I regret we got mediocre review due to the whipped cream. Of course we changed it to real dairy produce and we also accept credit cards. I'm sorry for my answer coming late but I would like to thank your critical remarks. We welcome back and because we are a small family restaurant we need assistance so let me ask you to recommend us to your family and friends as well.