“Local quality food”
Review of Rosenstein

Rosenstein
Ranked #54 of 3,204 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian, Central European
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: "The cozy place, where the owner is the chef"
“Local quality food”
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We ate here on recommendations from the hotel. The food was delicious. The service was excellent. The price was higher than expected but overall it was good value.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
New York
“Touristy Yet Odd”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had heard that this was an authentic Jewish restaurant, but it definitely was not kosher -- we found bacon and scallops on the menu. And there was a Hebrew-language section of the menu but the Hebrew type was printed in the wrong direction. The server told us it was a software error.

We came for a light lunch so we did not sample the tourist-targeted cocktails such as Mojitos and Caipirinhas. Instead we began with Fish Soup with Carp, Milt, and Roe (2000 forints) and Hungarian Fish Soup with Codfish Fillets (2500 forints). Both were OK but nothing special. Then came Cooked Bone Marrow on Toast (1800 forints), and this was the strangest bone marrow presentation I have ever encountered. About 12 or 15 pieces of marrow had been removed from the bones and put in a small bowl, swimming in melted fat. It was far too much to eat--who is going to consume a cup of pure fat? I couldn’t help wondering how many times this same marrow had been brought in and out of the dining room. I have always been served marrow still in the bones (you scoop it out with a spoon), and it has always been more flavorful than this proved to be. It came with 2 types of raw garlic, regular and marinated, a dish of paprika, and a basket of toast. Two pieces were plenty. We also had Lettuce with Lemon Dressing (650 forints). The “dressing” was also strange and unappetizing, half a cup of sweetened vinegared water. Service was slow.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank DancerGuy
Budapest
“Very good traditional”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Thanks to the great reviews and ratings on tripadvisor, and of course my friends’ opinions I visited Rosenstein. I was very excited, because I love domesticated and cozy places with great origins. The food is awesome, you can taste original Hungarian and Jewish flavors. There is a special offer for every day of the week, which are the “trumps” of the place. As I was there on Friday, I ordered Cholent, which is maybe the best known Central European Jewish traditional meal. It was so rich in flavors, I have never tasted such before. It’s a good point that (as I heard and have seen when I was there) the owner is mostly in the restaurant, which expresses his care and is against automatism and “industrial” character.

Visited October 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Superb dining near Keleti station”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Just thinking of this restaurant makes my mouth water. The chef is to be lauded. He cooks potentially heavy ingredients with a light touch. Highly recommended is the goose leg (hard to find in western Europe except at Christmas), red cabbage and what is described as potato and onion mash but seems to consist of a delicious combination of grated potato and onion. Also recommended is the veal with berry sauce - the sauce has a really fruity zing. The home made ice creams were so wonderfully presented that they deserved to be photographed. The restaurant was hopping on a Saturday night mostly with a lively, elderly clientele so we glad we had the foresight to make a reservation. There is an extensive wine list. The waiter recommended a rose type wine to complement the food. The wine was fine but next time I think I might go up a price notch and quaff a really good red. Despite references to the restaurant being hard to find we found it without difficulty. It is on the street at the back of the block containing the Golden Park hotel - a stone's throw from Keleti station. A not to be missed restaurant if you are in the vicinity.

• Visited September 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Wonderful Hungarian Cuisine”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

A real find.. near the train station. Very high-quality food and service. Photos of American film stars who agree!

• Visited September 2012