“Great opportunity for flea market findings!”

Ecseri Flea Market (Ecseri bolhapiac)
Book In Advance
More Info
$72.00*
and up
Private Budapest Ecseri Flea Market Tour: Antiques, Curios and Hungarian Culture
Ranked #159 of 471 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A great place for treasure hunters. According to locals, you can find everything at this market.
Uppsala, Sweden
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great opportunity for flea market findings!”
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

I visited Ecseri flea market twice during my weekend trip to Budapest. :)
Even though it was off season and not all stalls/vendors were open a lot of them still were. Considering the low amount of visitors it almost felt like we had the market to ourselves!
Great opportunity to find antique Hungarian items, ranging from clothing to trinkets to furniture.

Getting there was easy with only the ability to navigate local busses and subway. (M3 to "Hatar ut" and then buss 194, for example.)

Well worth a visit!

• Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Not as big as you'd think”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We visited in November, which could be the reason many of the stalls were empty. It was smaller than we thought. Some vendors spoke English and we had a nice chat with one man. The variety of items is unique and very Hungarian/Russian. I was happy with the purchases I made, which provided me unique treasures instead of mass produced souvenirs. We took a cab there and back because we had little time. If you take a cab be sure to ask your hotel if you can call them and they can arrange a taxi to pick you up when you are finished. It was about 14km from our hotel and cost about USD27 including tip each way.

Visited November 2013
Oostkamp, Belgium
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“needle in the haystaxk”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Only many shops open on saturday, very hard to find something in all that junk. A lot of hitler and nazi stuff, some coins, cool bottles but way too expensive for a coloured piece of glass. Not worth visiting.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Steven v
St. Catharines, Canada
147 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“Flea market fun!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I must say, the morning our family spent at the Ecseri Flea Market in Budapest was a real treat! We were able to have a great time because my cousin is Hungarian and lives in Budapest, my aunt from Ohio also speaks Hungarian, and two cousins also speak some Hungarian. If our family group of mostly English-speaking Americans and Canadians had gone alone without people who know how to speak Hungarian, I’m not sure we would have enjoyed ourselves as much. Part of the fun at a flea market is haggling for a good price, and it takes at least basic Hungarian language skills to do this! Although some dealers spoke some English, it was my Hungarian cousin’s finesse with the language and Hungarian bargaining skills that got us the deals!

Although I know you can get to this flea market by taking public transit, I’m glad we were riding in a car that was being navigated by my cousin who lives in Budapest. We had a Hungarian GPS, and we got to the flea market with little trouble. By bus, I’m not sure how easy it would have been to get there!

I'm a flea market junkie, and have been to all sorts of flea markets in many cities around the world. I've managed to find flea markets in just about every city I've ever visited...some clean and well-run; others junky and disorganized. All are certainly interesting! This place was no exception.

The opening time for the market is listed as 8:00 AM, and we got there at 9:30 AM on a weekday in March. But this was way too early. Vendors didn’t start arriving until about 10:30. Of course, in the summer months, this is probably not the case, and you should arrive about 8:00 AM, especially if you visit on a Saturday. While we waited for booths to open, we ordered some cappuccino and pastries for breakfast at one of the food vendor booths. It was a surprise to get the coffee served in little clear-plastic cups!

I came away from the flea market with some very interesting treasures. For my twenty-something son, I found three original Communist-era merit pins from the 1960s for approximately 1500 forints [$6.50]. My cousin said that his grandfather and father had some of these pins that had been awarded to them for being good, hard workers.

Remember, you’ll need cash for all purchases...no credit cards accepted. And, if you intend to buy antiques that are over 50 years old, some other websites warn that a permit and special permission from the Museum of Applied Arts in Budapest will be needed.

For me, I was able to find a great deal on a Herend Porcelain tea cup and saucer in the Queen Victoria pattern for less than half the going price at the official Herend store.

My cousin found a black-and-red leather foot stool to match two others in his apartment.

My aunt found two very nice porcelain Zsolnai vases for Christmas gifts, both at great prices. We saw lots of Herend porcelain, 1940’s factory-worker loyalty signs, antique dressers, paintings, other art work, Soviet era memorabilia, musical instruments, furniture, etc., etc., etc. We could have browsed for days!

Although the Ecseri Flea Market was a bit grungy and some booths were very disorganized, I’ll definitely go back for a visit on my next trip to Budapest. But, next time, I’ll set aside a whole day for this adventure.

Visited March 2013
12 Thank GMB54
Bradenton Beach, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Interesting place”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Im not someone who is into flea market but I was a tourist and check it out. Was interesting to see the different cultures of flea market compare to the states' flea markets.

Visited August 2012