“3-night stay in Buda”

St. George Residence
Ranked #101 of 335 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A charming suite in the heart of Buda, close to public transportation and Hop On-Off Bus system. The morning breakfast was lovely and varied. The gardens were still in full bloom. The staff was extremely helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed on ground floor - convenient.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Well, what an i say about this hotel..... The location which is in the middle of the castle area is amazing,you may walk around on the evenings and the views around are just spectacular. The hotel itself is magnificent, the rooms are very very nice, all the floors well decorated, you really fell like living in a castle, breakfast is very good. Staff always friendly and ready to help at any time, the city is very easy to move around and a fast and frequent public bus can bring you up and down into the castle area. It is simply the best hotel i ever stayed, definitely recommend, fantastic!!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ElioWolff
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Kudos for Karen Brown's travel guides. This lovely hotel has it all--location in a beautiful, historic area overlooking the Danube and Pest, spacious, exquisitely decorated suites at a reasonable price, and an attentive, knowledgeable staff. What's more, there was free, reliable Wifi. Just down the street are tour buses, including hop-on, hop-off buses, which we utilized to see not only the Buda area but much of Pest as well. Lots of little shops and many restaurants added appeal to the St. George. Can't imagine a better choice for visitors to this enchanting city.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The residence is situated in one of the most beautiful area's of the city, of which it forms an integrated part through its beautifully restaured & decorated spacious rooms & suites, situated around an inner courtyard like an oasis of rest in the middle of this intensively frequented part of the city. Although the house is reported to be 700 years old, it provides all the modern confort. The personnel is kind and hospitabel and the price very reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Beautiful courtyard that they greet you with a glass of champagne on your arrival. Huge tall ceilings in every room. Nicely decorated with fine art. Close 20 min walk down the hill to the Pest side of the Danube. Hotel sits on top of the Buda hill near a great overlook of the Danube. Complimentary bottle of white wine was nice too. Typical of European hotels, you showered sitting in the bath tub. I wish they had a shower head holder where you could stand up to take a shower. The bathroom, bedroom, and sitting area was spacious like an American hotel suite. Oddly, the Buda hotels are less expensive than the Pest side due to most of the restaurants and night life are on the Pest side of the Danube 1700 forint for a taxi to the Las Vegas casino from the hotel.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is the best
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a month long holiday in Europe and this hotel was by far the best we stayed in. We stayed in a Silver Suite which had a large bedroom, a huge bathroom and a spacious living & dining area with kitchenette. The furnishings were fantastic - only negative comment I have would be the pillows were terrible but this is to be expected in Europe! Breakfast was included in our rate and each day this was a great way to start the day and generally kept us going straight through til dinner. The complimentary bottle of wine in the room was a lovely bonus.
The surrounding area (Castle District) was beautiful and we spent the first day exploring this area. We happened to arrive on the first day of the Budapest Wine Festival being held in the Castle grounds which was a fantastic way to kick off our stay in Budapest. The views are amazing at night.
I travel constantly for work and this would be close to the top 3 hotels I have ever stayed in. My only tip would be that if you have mobility issues, ask for a suite on the ground floor as we had to drag out suitcases up 3 flights of stairs to get to our room (no elevator). A fantatic hotel in beautiful surroundings, I would never stay anywhere else in Budapest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor if you have any mobility issues - there is no elevator
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

After reading all the reviews on TripAdvisor I agonized about whether to stay in Pest or in Buda for our 3 nights. As luck would have it the hotel where I wanted to stay in Pest was fully booked, so I reserved the St. George and I would definitely stay on the Buda side again.

I booked a Silver suite and we were checked into room #11 which is on the very top floor of the hotel and appears to have once been an attic. While I do believe it met the size dimensions of 592 – 753 sq. ft, most of the room was not useable because the roof was so pitched on both sides that anyone taller than 3 feet had to walk down the middle of the room to avoid hitting your head on the ceiling. The room was very sparsely furnished but it didn’t matter because you couldn’t use any furniture against the walls. We ended up unpacking in the corners of the room and laying our clothes on the carpet. Typical of an attic the room had two dormer windows, one on each side. They were higher and smaller than normal windows. I’m about 5’2” and I couldn’t see out of either. The one facing the courtyard had a large tree in front so the room got very little light and was quite dark. There was a writing desk with a modem so we had a very strong signal but the internet was so slow that it was unusable; we kept getting timed out before a webpage would even load.

The bedroom was a step up from the living area and had an 8 foot ceiling and a nice large king size bed that was quite comfortable. The bathroom was huge with a lot of unused space. It had a new whirlpool tub with a handheld shower (no separate shower). Every day we had plenty of hot water but on our last night while filling the tub the water went from clear to very dirty. It was not rust from the pipes, there was dirt and grit in the water. The bathroom had no natural light and only a small dimly lit fixture.

Upon check in I requested another room but was told the hotel was fully booked. On check out I mentioned the ceiling, darkness, internet problems and filthy water. The staff was reserved and cordial but not friendly or helpful.

I might give St. George another try as the location is superb and the rest of the hotel looked beautiful but I would probably upgrade to a Gold suite to ensure that I didn’t get room #11 again but when you’re told the hotel is full you do not have a lot of choices.

Room Tip: If booking a Silver suite, specifically request NOT to be in Room #11
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple