“Very nice”

Ranked #83 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

The residence is situated in one of the most beautiful area's of the city, of which it forms an integrated part through its beautifully restaured & decorated spacious rooms & suites, situated around an inner courtyard like an oasis of rest in the middle of this intensively frequented part of the city. Although the house is reported to be 700 years old, it provides all the modern confort. The personnel is kind and hospitabel and the price very reasonable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Beautiful courtyard that they greet you with a glass of champagne on your arrival. Huge tall ceilings in every room. Nicely decorated with fine art. Close 20 min walk down the hill to the Pest side of the Danube. Hotel sits on top of the Buda hill near a great overlook of the Danube. Complimentary bottle of white wine was nice too. Typical of European hotels, you showered sitting in the bath tub. I wish they had a shower head holder where you could stand up to take a shower. The bathroom, bedroom, and sitting area was spacious like an American hotel suite. Oddly, the Buda hotels are less expensive than the Pest side due to most of the restaurants and night life are on the Pest side of the Danube 1700 forint for a taxi to the Las Vegas casino from the hotel.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is the best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a month long holiday in Europe and this hotel was by far the best we stayed in. We stayed in a Silver Suite which had a large bedroom, a huge bathroom and a spacious living & dining area with kitchenette. The furnishings were fantastic - only negative comment I have would be the pillows were terrible but this is to be expected in Europe! Breakfast was included in our rate and each day this was a great way to start the day and generally kept us going straight through til dinner. The complimentary bottle of wine in the room was a lovely bonus.
The surrounding area (Castle District) was beautiful and we spent the first day exploring this area. We happened to arrive on the first day of the Budapest Wine Festival being held in the Castle grounds which was a fantastic way to kick off our stay in Budapest. The views are amazing at night.
I travel constantly for work and this would be close to the top 3 hotels I have ever stayed in. My only tip would be that if you have mobility issues, ask for a suite on the ground floor as we had to drag out suitcases up 3 flights of stairs to get to our room (no elevator). A fantatic hotel in beautiful surroundings, I would never stay anywhere else in Budapest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor if you have any mobility issues - there is no elevator
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dana Point, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

After reading all the reviews on TripAdvisor I agonized about whether to stay in Pest or in Buda for our 3 nights. As luck would have it the hotel where I wanted to stay in Pest was fully booked, so I reserved the St. George and I would definitely stay on the Buda side again.

I booked a Silver suite and we were checked into room #11 which is on the very top floor of the hotel and appears to have once been an attic. While I do believe it met the size dimensions of 592 – 753 sq. ft, most of the room was not useable because the roof was so pitched on both sides that anyone taller than 3 feet had to walk down the middle of the room to avoid hitting your head on the ceiling. The room was very sparsely furnished but it didn’t matter because you couldn’t use any furniture against the walls. We ended up unpacking in the corners of the room and laying our clothes on the carpet. Typical of an attic the room had two dormer windows, one on each side. They were higher and smaller than normal windows. I’m about 5’2” and I couldn’t see out of either. The one facing the courtyard had a large tree in front so the room got very little light and was quite dark. There was a writing desk with a modem so we had a very strong signal but the internet was so slow that it was unusable; we kept getting timed out before a webpage would even load.

The bedroom was a step up from the living area and had an 8 foot ceiling and a nice large king size bed that was quite comfortable. The bathroom was huge with a lot of unused space. It had a new whirlpool tub with a handheld shower (no separate shower). Every day we had plenty of hot water but on our last night while filling the tub the water went from clear to very dirty. It was not rust from the pipes, there was dirt and grit in the water. The bathroom had no natural light and only a small dimly lit fixture.

Upon check in I requested another room but was told the hotel was fully booked. On check out I mentioned the ceiling, darkness, internet problems and filthy water. The staff was reserved and cordial but not friendly or helpful.

I might give St. George another try as the location is superb and the rest of the hotel looked beautiful but I would probably upgrade to a Gold suite to ensure that I didn’t get room #11 again but when you’re told the hotel is full you do not have a lot of choices.

Room Tip: If booking a Silver suite, specifically request NOT to be in Room #11
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank malibufan
Cumberland Center, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We loved this hotel and the location was perfect. We walked everywhere... down 252 stairs to get to the bridge and cross over to the Pest side of the river and back up 252 stairs . We were so happily surprised by Budapest and would love to return. Our bedroom at the St. George was small and adjoined by a large living, dining space which we used for dressing. it was quite noisey overlooking the central courtyard and if we closed the windows, it was too hot. I would stay there again but perhaps upgrade to a gold suite. We wre in a silver. Most of the desk people wre delightful and the wait staff at breakfst was wonderful as was the fine variet of breakfst foods. We had dinner at the Pesh buda across the street and liked it so kuch we returned for another although i wihs we had gone down the street to 21 which was recommended as well.

Room Tip: the rooms facing the court could be noisey as it was for us.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I and another couple stayed at St. George's Residence in September, 2012. Our suites were huge, lavishly furnished, and a welcome change after stays in small hotels--with very small rooms-- in Greve and Rome. An entire family could comforably stay in one of the hotel's suites.

Hotel personnel were extremely helpful and gracious, guiding us in wine and menu selections amd recommending sites to visit...

There was a great variety of food offered at the hotel's breakfast buffet . There is a lovely courtyard with tables for drinking and dining. We enjoyed drinks there in the evenings and had a very good dinner there one night and excellent appetizers before dinner another night.

We were fortunate in the weather and found being outdoors very relaxing. There is an indoor dining room if the weather is not as cooperatvie as ours.

The hotel does not have a swimming pool or a fitness center and is located on the Buda side of the river. None of these were issues for us.. There are lots of interesting sites within easy walking distance of the hotel and the distance to the Pest side is not great. We were able to get there without much effort or expense.

I recommend St. Georger's Residence--and the beautiful city of Budapest--without reservation

Room Tip: We reserved a Bronze suite--the least expensive--and it was huge. The couple with whom we traveled...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Staying at the St. George Residence was a highlight of our visit to Budapest and one of the best hotels we stayed at during our entire trip. The room was spacious (we had a room with a kitchen) and it was very nice to be able to open a bottle of wine at the end of our day and hang out in the courtyard right outside our door. The staff was incredibly accomodating. Location was great for us on the Buda side. Basically, everything was as advertised or better, so if you like the way the hotel is described on Trip Advisor, then I would recommend that you book a room. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends