“Great location”

Ranked #90 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
vienna
“Great location”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We had a pleasant stay there, but also some weird experiences.
I chose it, because of its location directly in old town of Budapest. I had to do a bit of research to find out how to get there, because traffic is limited there. On one page in the net, I read that you need a special permittance to enter this area. So I wrote an email to the hotel at 11 pm and got an answer right away. You drive until one of the barriers and press at the ticket machine "hotel", then you give this ticket to the concierge, he makes it valid for you and you can leave old town whenever you like. So we had booked one night, but parked our car in front of the hotel for 2 days, which was very comfy for an extended walk around there on the day of our departure. So much for helpfulness of staff and parking.

The hotel itself is beautiful. Large suites, ours, gold suite, had entry area with kitchenette, followed by sleeping room, living room and bathroom. Very spacious and stylish. There was a complimentary bottle of wine in the room, we got some welcome drinks (2 champagne and a juice for the kid) and in the freezer were already ice cubes.
We were travelling with our little daughter, so we used the kitchen. Either they should provide more pots and pans, only one of each there, or some dish washing tools. We only stayed there for one night, but I guess, if you want to cook more or for e.g. reheating something, it would be helpful to have some sponge and soap.
There was also a big mirror missing, body length, in case you wanna check your outfit. In our case, my wife had to climb a chair to see her dress in the existing mirror.
The hotel info book in the room says, the restaurant closes at 11pm. We celebrated there our anniversary and went to the restaurant at 20:30. The waiter immediately told us they are closing soon and the book is old. He stayed friendly and we still could order, but ten minutes later, we would have been in trouble. So update your books guys. My wife wanted to order the chicken leg, but the waiter recommended not to do so. I asked why, he just meant, don't do it. Instead he suggested the "hortobagy" meat pancakes. From chicken legs to minced beef pancakes, hardly a substitute. Food was good though.

Breakfast next morning was also good. I read the reviews here and don't understand at all some comments. It was quality stuff and a lot to choose. Cooked egg, scrambled egg, if you ask, I guess they make you fried ones too. Sausage, bacon, cheese etc, cereals, yoghurt, lovely pastries and breads and I never ever had some grilled vegetables at a breakfast buffet (for sure fresh and not some leftovers, cause my side dish the previous evening were grilled veggies and that was different). Coffee, tea, juice bar of course as well. So what more to ask?

The stay was as mentioned, a nice one. At home came a bit of a downer. I took a quick look at the room bill and I saw on the invoice bill, that the receptionist billed us some small amount for using the mini bar. Not that this 400 huf/1.5 € make me poor now, but there is a principle involved, its the cheating kinda feeling I don't like.
Of course it's my fault, I should have checked the bill there. But I asked to pay the restaurant bill from the previous evening in cash and I remembered it was some 6000Huf. The receptionist asked me, if we had something from the minibar and I said no. So I don't understand why a minute later, he puts an additional amount on my bill, while I also gave a generous tip (for the waiters, I assume now, they will not see it). I simply trusted this guy in a 5 star house, which was obviously wrong.
Again, the amount is minimal, but a house like that should not release their customers with such a feeling.

Room Tip: We had a (gold) suite, which was on the corner to two streets. On fortuna ut. the bus runs quite oft...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank andreaszetzet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in a great location! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were huge and very clean. LOVED it here! We had an outstanding dinner at the restaurant. Location is perfect in the Buda castle district. The breakfast was good. Beds were comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed at the St. George from July 19 to 23. The hotel was a great find through luxurylink.com. The offer included three nights with breakfast every morning and dinner one evening. The hotel was very clean and the staff could not have been accomodating. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful. The hotel had a range of different rooms. We were in the Gold room, which had a separate bedroom and a living room with a pull out couch. It was nice to put the kids to sleep and rest in the living room while having a drink. Breakfast every morning was good. It included eggs with bacon or sausages, fruit, etc. We loved it. The dinner that one night was traditional Hungarian. We loved the mushroom soup and the pork with paprika sauce. The hotel in located in the Buda section so it was very close to many sightseeing venues. There are restaurants close by and even a supermarket. The location is dead at night, but we did not care about that. I would highly recommend for a family.

2 Thank Franknyc O
Beijing
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This was a great choice. Fabulous location in the Buda castle district, convenient during the day, nice and quiet at night. The hotel is gorgeous, historic, quiet. The staff are good. Breakfast is a little sparse, as some have commented, but what they have is well done and perfectly fine. The rooms are excellent value for money. The suites are huge; it was terrific to have our daughter in a very comfortable sofa bed out in the living room. The bathroom was beautiful and huge. Good toiletries. We had a great stay and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The gold suite is good value and huge.
1 Thank Cannotpacklight
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed in the Silver suite to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
The hotel is absolutely stunning as well as the surrounding.
Upon arrival we were offered a welcome dring, the cheescake was also tasty.

Minor criticism:
Breakfast nothing special. We would have expected a bit more for this class.
One of the chandeliers in the room was not working.
Air conditioning a bit too noisy, but too warm in the room if switched off.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were a bit nervous to stay in a hotel over 700 years old, but we ended up being VERY impressed. This hotel is in a quiet area on the Buda (castle quarter) side of the city. It is near Fisherman's Bastion, and is in the historic area of town. We had a top floor room to accommodate our two kids, my husband and myself. VERY spacious. My husband and I had our own bedroom in the suite, with a king sized bed (unusual for Europe, so that was a nice surprise. The kids slept on a sofa bed in the livingroom, but there was still plenty of room to relax and walk around, even with their bed made the whole time. I think it was considered a "Gold" level room. The room had a small kitchenette (which we didn't use at all, except for the fridge). Who can cook when there are so many amazing places to eat in this city? The hotel and our suite were extremely clean.

Breakfast was average, and not included with the room price. I would recommend going down the street to get a coffee and croissant, and skip the breakfast altogether. Because the hotel is on the small side (26 rooms, I think?), they really can't provide a very decent breakfast selection. Not a big deal, really. Also, know that there is no elevator in this hotel, so be prepared to carry your luggage up several flights of marble stairs. Wish I hadn't overpacked, as usual. There is also no specific hotel parking, so you have to find a spot on the street. We got lucky and found one directly in front of the hotel. We didn't move that car again until the morning of our departure.

We visited Budapest, Prague and Vienna on this trip, and this hotel was by far our favorite. It had a very "castle" like feel to it, and was just in the best location imaginable. This side of town also gets VERY quiet at night, so it was great to cross the Chain Bridge from the Pest side and come home after a long day of sightseeing. I used the tripadvisor reviews to determine where to stay in Budapest, and they were all very accurate for this hotel. You really can't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank RunningMom47201
seattle, wa
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We could not have been happier with the St. George Residence. During a blistering heat wave (highs pushed 40), the air conditioning in our suite kept us comfortable--without it I'm not sure how we would have managed with our daughter--it was great to come back in the hottest part of the day to cool down and rest. Our gold suite was beautiful, comfortable, spacious, and the housekeeping was immaculate. The kitchen was well appointed and we were so happy to have a refrigerator/freezer to keep snacks and drinks cool. The location is superb--my husband was here for business and had a short walk to his office just north of Castle Hill and my daughter and I were easily able to navigate Castle Hill and the bridges over to the Pest side. The welcome drink and complimentary bottle of wine on arrival were fantastic after a long trip, the staff were very helpful in arranging tours and taxis, and the overall atmosphere was fantastic. It was dead quiet at night, which was lovely. WiFi was excellent. We will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: I'd recommend second floor.
4 Thank big_island_in_june