“Like I was staying at my Oma's house”
Review of Ginkgo Hostel

Ginkgo Hostel
Ginkgo Hostel
Ranked #141 of 673 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The hostel is through a creepy looking courtyard. Once inside it was pleasant and decorated like an eccentric old European home. The girl at the desk was helpful even when I was confused about the price. Apparently the website is old and needs to be updated. The prices on the site are wrong and I ended up paying more than I budgeted for. I thought $25 cdn a night for a shared room that served as a hallway to another room was high. Nevertheless, I managed to sleep really well. The heavy curtains block out the sun and I found a fan in the corner which I plugged in and used. The rooms were large and beds spread far apart so we never felt that we were in someone's space. The lockers in the room were large and fit all of our things. The bathrooms were not the cleanest and nobody seemed to mop up after themselves despite the sign. I was able to borrow their hair dryer without having to give a deposit. On our day of departure we were able to store our bags for free in the linen closet. Overall pleasant stay but we wished breakfast was free.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a good hostel to stay in with friendly staff and nice location.

Only one issue is that I found that they use unfavourable exchange rates. Its is strange when this hotel quotes all rooms / dorm beds in euro's and then when you go to pay they only accept hungarian money (of course because its the currency). Then they convert the euro using an unfavourable exchange rate and you end up paying a lot more. They tried this on me but did not succeed as I had just exchanged euros into hungarian. 5 min later I overheard an american girl paying too much.... Its a small issue but if they scam all their customers they make more profit of course which I do not think is equitable.

As I said, its still a nice spacious place to stay...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank abooking
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Ginkgo was nice and quiet, with friendly staff.

It was weird that one dorm room is accessed through another dorm room, meaning that people were walking past our beds a lot.

Unfortunately you can't get wifi from the rooms, but I guess that means we spent more time being social in the common area.

Location is excellent!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Holly J
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Everything was perfect and clean. The location is also good, near the city center and in just 2 minuts was from the subway. 100% safe! The staff really helpful and kind. The only "problem" was that we couldn't have wifi in the room, but just in the area around the reception. Anyway I really recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sara D
Reviewed November 21, 2012

A nice enough, comfy hostel, with great staff, ideally located for getting to different sights in budapest.
It's not luxurious, but you do not expect that from a hostel. It's clean, everyone is very helpful, and the price is great.
It was kind of an emergency, since we could not find anything, and this was one of the rare things on our gps that had free beds, but we were not sorry for a moment.
It's small, and having two bathrooms and showers is quite enough not to get nervous while waiting.
Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ivan N
Reviewed September 28, 2012

we were welcomed without booking in this hostel. The staff was friendly and very helpfull, it's clean and all but... our beds were in sort of a hallway, a passage to another room. around 8 AM people started moving about and passing by our beds all the time. The beds were comfortable and clean but the constantly passing by of people made sleeping a bit uncomfortable. If you are going, and planning to party, ask for a room that's not a passage to other rooms.
the location is great.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Oldbullee
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The hostel is really recommendable. I stayed there 4 nights in March 2012. Reception staff is great, they speak perfect english. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and the bed is confortable. You have your own locker in the room free of charge and the provide you with a padlock.
The situation is perfect. It's in a very quiet street 2 minutes walking from 2 different metro stations just on downtown.
I would recommend it to everyone is going to Budapest.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo