“Gr8 city break ;-)”

Ranked #63 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Jarrow, United Kingdom
“Gr8 city break ;-)”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have just returned from a four night stay at this hotel. We booked our B&B city break via Jet2 and chose the best hotel within our budget from the reviews and ratings advised on Tripadvisor.
We just booked a standard double room ... without a view of the Parliament Buildings. Upon arrival we were asked if we would like to upgrade to a room with a view for the additional cost of £12.00 per night (approx), but we chose to decline this offer. Although a room with a view is nice, I don’t feel that it is essential ... there is more to see of Budapest than the view from a window. We booked up to see and explore as much of the city as we could and not just to spend our time there in a room with a view. Money saved here to be used elsewhere within Budapest ;-)
Along with the king size bed, the rooms were equipped with a flat screen TV (with the option to plug in a MP3 to play your music over the speaker system within the room), a desk, a sofa and a wardrobe system providing ample storage (... also included a safe). The room, which was cleaned every day, was a comfortable size ... not too big and not too small. The shower room was also a fair size ... with a separate toilet cubicle. Upon arrival the room temperature felt very warm. Although the room had an air conditioning unit, it was quite noisy. As temperatures for March are still quite cool ... we found the better option was to turn the air conditioning off and open the window.
There was an excellent choice available for the buffet breakfast. One of the nights during our stay, we opted for an evening meal in the hotel restaurant but considered a two course meal with one drink (each) working out @ approximately £50.00 to be quite expensive.
Although the location may be considered by some not to be that central ... there is a metro stop nearby. In our three full days there we explored the areas and attractions within Buda and Pest and believe that we chose a hotel on the best side of the river with more to see and do.
This hotel is the perfect place to spend a few days in Budapest and as a B&B, offers good value for money. Overall, we were both very happy with our trip to Budapest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LellynIan
gergely_kollin, General Manager at Novotel Budapest Danube, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest, I can't thank You enough for sharing your opinion about our services and especially our unique location. I look forward to welcoming you back, Kind regards, Gergely Kollin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've recently returned from my first visit to Budapest which was planned with the ulterior motive of investigating the dental treatment available in this city. The hotel was therefore chosen with some practical considerations in mind but it was the friendliness & efficiency of the Staff at the Novotel Danube that was paramount in making the experience of Hungary an enjoyable one. Nothing was too much trouble & the room, although without a view, was very clean & comfortable.The price including breakfast represented good value too.I am loking forwad to rebooking when I have to return later this year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
gergely_kollin, General Manager at Novotel Budapest Danube, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your nice words and I am really proud of my Team now! Look forward to welcoming you back soon, Gergely Kollin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in early March and found it to be excellent. The room was lovely with a very nice bathroom and plenty of space all round. The staff could not have been more helpful, and put themselves out to make sure I had everything I needed. The breakfasts were substantial with plenty of choice, and it was lovely to be able to look out over the Danube. The best thing was the price. I got a deal 4 nights for 3, which worked out at around 55Euros a night which was quite astonishing for such a great location. An added bonus was the Herend Village Pottery shop next door which has the cheapest prices in Budapest!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear valued customer, I am glad you have had a great stay with us. Look forward to booking you in when you return to Budapest. Kind regards, Gergely Kollin
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just returned from 5 days at this new hotel part business, part leisure. Everyone from the General Manager Gergely Kollin, the restaurant staff and reception were exceptionally helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble and even the Chef was open to individual orders giving his own excellent presentation and interpretation of special dietary requirements .
The foyer lacks design which is a shame but the rooms were immaculate and spacious . You can upgrade to an executive room with added discounts for €19 per room but the standard double is very comfortable.

Represents very good value and a good base on the quiter side of the Danube. I am returning in 3 months.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
It was a real pleasure to look after you and I am glad we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in a few month time. Kind regards, Gergely
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week - as my company put me in it since it is a few blocks from our office. The staff was very friendly and helpful. As for the location- as all the other reviewers mentioned- the view is beautiful- but i dont think i would pay the 30 euro a nite to have the view from my room. The surrounding area is not so great in terms of restaurants/bars- there was a good restaurant two blocks down but not much in walking distance- which to me is a big turn off for a hotel. To get to Pest and the city centre only took about 8-10 minutes by taxi- and one evening it was nice out and we walked back which took about 20 minutes (hard to say bc we were taking so many pictures of the beautiful city!)

In terms of the rooms- they were very average. I was in a superior room- the size was big- but quite sterile. The bathroom was too small there was barely any room on the sink for my toiletries. The shower only had the half door so a couple days water got all over my floor. Also the room was always really hot- which was ok when you open the window at nite.

While the hotel was fine and close to work, I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you are looking to be in a busy/happening area- I would stay on the Pest side.

Room Tip: If your going for the view- make sure you know it is 30 euros more a nite for a river view
1 Thank lea5834
gergely_kollin, General Manager at Novotel Budapest Danube, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. I was very happy to read your comment about the staff. I just wish you had given us a chance to guide you to more restaurants/bars or even Mammut shoppng centre, that is 10 minutes away and have pleanty of bars/restaurants. On the other hand as you wrote Pest the touristy side of Budapest is also minutes away by the Metro or even on foot. Our location is more quiet and elegent. I look forward to providing you with an even better service next time. Kind regards, Gergely Kollin
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Really convenient to public transport, shuttle from the airport available - paying, great view over the Danube towards the Hungarian Parliament, friently and competent staff, great buffet breakfast. In all, highly recommended.

2 Thank AMEpalinges
gergely_kollin, General Manager at Novotel Budapest Danube, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest, it is great you have had a good stay at Novotel Danube. My Team and I are delighted and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Gergely Kollin
Strasbourg, France
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have just returned from our short stay in Budapest.
We planned to visit this wonderfull city with a couple of friends, and decided to stay at the Novotel Danube Hotel.
There are a lot of very nice hotels in Budapest but the Novotel is the best. The view is amazing, we could admire the view on the Danube and the parliament, the room was very confortable, clean, modern and well equipped.
We took also the breakfast every morning and really enjoy the quality and the choice of food.
And also, the service was nice too, we asked for 2 towels to go to the Széchenyi Baths, and the housekeeper brought them without any extra charge, with a big smile. We'd like budapest and probably will return in spring, and will stay at the Novotel danube again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Coconath67
gergely_kollin, General Manager at Novotel Budapest Danube, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest, fantastic that you have enjoyed your stay that much with us. Also great to hear you are planing to return to Budapest. Hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you soon, kind regards, Gergely Kollin