“surprise visit”

Irish Cat Pub
Ranked #84 of 189 Nightlife in Budapest
“surprise visit”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had the best espresso ever. We forgot our umbrella, so we came back half a day later. It was still there. I drank a second espresso and ate an out-of-this-world open, fried, ham and cheese sandwich. The 40+ bar lady was a darling. I asked her for one of the espresso cups. She wanted to give it to me. She reluctantly accepted FUT 700. Three elderly man, playing cards beside us, treated my wife like a lady (what she is).
The local Hungarian whiskey compares well with Chivas Regal but, interestingly, has an aftertaste of straw.

Visited March 2013

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had a couple of nights here and food was good the music was good and the staff were fine. Would recommend it to groups of people.

Wales, UK
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“A veritable Tardis!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I wandered in here through the rather dubious looking entrance and down the stairs to the cellar of the building, where the Irish Cat Pub is located. It was a Sunday afternoon, so although I didn't expect it to be 'bouncing', it was February 11th after all - the date of the Ireland v England Six Nations game - and I was the only punter in there! At least the game was being shown on the television, albeit with no commentary, but loud music as accompaniment!
Neither the guy nor the girl behind the bar could speak English, but by way of 'sign language', I established that from the array of drink fonts on the bar, from Stowford Press to Heineken to Guinness, only the local beer and Guinness was 'on'. Being not sure about the quality of the Guinness, I plumped for the local brew, at a reasonable 540Ft (around £1.70/0.5L). The menu looked appealing, but I wasn't there to eat, and I doubt if they were cooking.
The pub itself is Tardis-like seeming to go on for ever, with I think, 3 bars, lots of nooks and crannies, and Guinness memorabilia/advertising everywhere. I would imagine it to be a busy place at night, more of a club scene, open till 4am on weekends, so the time and day of my visit is probably not a fair assessment of the place.
P.S. England won, 6 -12 .... no comment!

Visited February 2013
Skipton, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Might be one of the first Irish pubs but not the best...”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We visited this pub as it was recommended in our guide book (DK Top 10) but it was very disappointing, seemed to be full of dubious characters and "ladies of the night", would not go back! The Fregatt Pub was 100 times better.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank wavingatclouds
Wallasey, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“irish cat pub”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

the pub was shut in the afternoon so we went back at night. The range of drinks and wine was limited and the only thing irish about it was the guiness. no music, no ambience, maybe we were just unlucky and went on a bad night.

Visited November 2012