“Firndly place with good food at a decent price... plus women :)”
Review of Irish Cat Pub

Irish Cat Pub
Ranked #94 of 214 Nightlife in Budapest
Reviewed February 2, 2012

My friends and I were in Budapest for a training session with Audi. We were staying at the Mercure hotel at Kalvin Ter, and decided to spend the last night (a Thursday) out in the bars. I looked up Irish Pubs and one popped up next door to the hotel. It had decent reviews on other sites, so we went in.

I guess it's more a comfortable bar and grill than a true Irish Pub. There was some element of Irishness to it, but it was much more ambitious than just a place for pints, Celtic music and bangers and mash. No matter, though.

They had great live music going when we came in, pretty women everywhere, more than a few foreigners and Hungarians hanging around and a pretty long and varied menu. I was hungry, but I was dubious about the steak, as they also listed pizza, chicken dishes and a strange mix of pub and café food... I tried it, though (how could I not at about 13 Euros?), and I was served a wonderful slab of beef with some whiskey atop, burning. Delicious and a nice surprise.

I read the review about rude people, but I saw no such thing while we were there. At the same time, the staff would peek in but not bother us in our booth unless our drinks were empty, and then only to ask if we needed something more. The English spoken here was excellent, and the few staff who did not speak it managed to suss out what we wanted and bring it to us with a smile.

We stayed to listen to the U2 tribute band they had in that evening and met a few locals. The dance floor immediately jumped to life after the last strain of "One" died out. I must admit that I have scarcely been to a club with so many beautiful women. I would be loathe to take a normal, Western lady here. She would have to have her top game on to not feel unfit. The women here are polite, sweet and enthusiastic (if not all that skilled) dancers. 'Twas a delightful and relaxing night, really.

I hope whoever the person who gave this place a "1" goes back sometime. They obviously missed out on some good crack and nice people.

5  Thank JosueMan

Reviewed October 1, 2011

Went to the Irish Cat pub after reading about it in a guide book to Budapest. Was highly disappointed in the place, with it being billed as a top place to visit and have a drink in the city.

On arrival to the city off a late eveing flight we went to the pub to get something to eat. The exterior looks shabby and not very inviting. On going down the steep dark staircase you arrive staright into the bar area. We were immediately approached by a barman. We asked could we see the food menu to which we were told that they do not serve food until the middle of September (I was there at the beginning of of the month). Having read that they do food it was very disappointing.

2  Thank sloping_fungus
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I have been raving about this place since I went in one Friday night over a year ago. It just rocks. Period. I finally decided to write about it.

I decided to write because they have made some big changes to the menu and the staff, and I like the changes, too. The staff are now almost all fluent in English. Added to this is their friendliness and fast service, which I find hugely valuable in Budapest. Bar people, especially at places with dancing and music, usually have serious attitude problems, but not at Irish Cat Pub.

The food added a raft of specific pizzas to their list of foods, and I have enjoyed all of those which I have tasted. The Whiskey Steak, however, is my favorite, and always has more on the side than I can eat. Quite tasty, and filling. The drinks, by the way, never seem as weak as in other Budapest places... just a note there.

They have Karaoke on Wednesdays, live music on Tuesdays, and DJs from Thursday through Saturday nights. They also have special football (Premier, World Cup, others) and sports nights, and the fight is always on. The people in here, even when it is jammed, are just amazing. I love dancing, and man are there some pretty ladies to dance with. I recommend them, and I hope to see you there.

4  Thank Franklin_Is_Away
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Saturday night, well it was simply great. You can dancing,drinking ,talking etc.
Staff was friendly and atmosphere was nice. Great place for everyone, and pretty good prices.

3  Thank peterpan075
Reviewed February 24, 2010

The pub is 30 seconds from Kalvin Ter underground station. Shows most English football and Champions League etc. Drink prices aren't bad compared to the usual in Irish bars although this isnt a particularly 'Irish' bar. The coffee is very good.

3  Thank rojo81