“excellent, but....”

Ranked #30 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Denver, Colorado
“excellent, but....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had a very nice stay.

Positives include extremely helpful, positive, happy staff. Beautiful lobby and New York Cafe. Right next to metro station and tram stop. Wonderful room and typical Marriott amenities.

Negatives included two annoyances. First, the transport scam. Yes, unfortunately I have to call it this. I emailed the hotel to ask about taxis from the train station. They replied I had to be careful of Hungarian taxis, as there are lots of scams, especially from the airport and train stations. They recommended I use their cars, so I did. A very nice driver met me at the train station and drove the two of us less than a kilometer to the hotel for 15 Euros. The return trip using a Fo Taxi, which can be had by phoning the taxi company, cost less than 2 Euros. I feel like the hotel ripped me off. It was a Mercedes, but come on, was it worth 7 or 8 times as much as a normal taxi. And how much would a taxi scam have cost me? They should have been up front.

Second, although the room bathroom was beautiful, the apparently Italian designer neglected to create a usable shower. It was a lovely marble square, with two glass walls, a rain shower head built into the roof, and a silver drain cover on the floor. No shelf or anywhere to put shampoo or soap other than the floor. When you opened the glass door and reached across to turn on the shower, it sprayed most of your body and out the door. Adjusting the temperature so you could get in was tricky, and when you did get in, you invariably stepped right on the floating drain cover. In all fairness, the front desk staff had obviously heard this many times, and hoped it would be remedied by our next visit.

Nonetheless, I would stay again. Just take a Fo Taxi.

Room Tip: Our room on floor 7 had a balcony, although it was too cold in mid May to use it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ColoradoBuoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Been here for business, in Oct 2012. Hotel is very nice convenient, clean rooms and spa.I liked the hotel a lot. Unfort I had to wait to come to the room because was not ready and I arrived early. Same as check out could not stay slightly longer, because of later flight. I would recommend this hotel for business. Taxi are in front so can easily bring your everywhere. Restaurant and breakfast are nice- location is not the best of Istanbul is not near the water but I did not mind at all would go back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeffrey78
NewYorkPalaceGM, General Manager at Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest 'Jeffrey78',

Thank you for your kind feedback about Boscolo Budapest.
It would be our pleasure if you could spend some more time with us upon your return to Budapest and you'll stay would be as enjoyable as the one commented.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff. A great experience! New York café is WoW AND the food is delicious. We had a very quiet room on the 5 th floor. The advice from the conciërges desk were always great,, e.g. To find a restaurant or to attent a concert ... Everybody was friendly and not friendly just for the tip...but from their hart.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank peterpalo
Dear Valued Guest 'peterpalo',

Thank you for your precious time spent on providing you kind feedback about your stay at Boscolo Budapest. Your kind words are highly appreciated and we hope we'll have the chance to welcome you back.

Rochdale , England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Just had a three day break in this hotel , and I must say it is the most beautiful place I have ever stayed in. As soon as I walked in I was blown away by the amazing reception area ( none of the photos I had seen previously do it any justice ) the wandering into the stunning resturaunt area with its opulent decor. WOW, is an understatement. The team at the hotel are excellent, providing friendly,attentive service. Our room was enormous with an extremely large, comfy bed. The bathroom was lovely but the shower didn't work properly. Once reported it was fixed straight away. There is a sensitive mix of old and new at this Hotel and the two blend perfectly. Just eating your breakfast in such beautiful surroundings made the stay perfect. Could not have asked for anymore from the hotel and the service.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank auntys05
Dear Valued Guest 'aunts05',

Thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding your stay with us. I'm glad to see that you had a nice experience with us and I'm delighted to see that our hotel exceeded your expectations.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back anytime should your plans bring you to Budapest again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have stayed in a number of hotels in Budapest, including Gresham Palace (Four Seasons), Intercontinental, Marriott, Corinthia, etc. but this was our first opportunity to try the Boscolo. There were pluses and minuses that we noted but overall enjoyed our experience here.

Pluses:
- Beautiful building, in terms of both interiors and exteriors
- large guestrooms
- historic café as part of the hotel
- friendly staff at front desk and door, always willing to help and offer a smile

Negatives
- rooms are dated and design is unimaginative (perhaps even boring)
- lack of some standard amenities such as bedside alarm clock, iron & ironing board, etc.
- the neighborhood is a little "gritty". Not bad but not the finest either.
- housekeeping was okay but not great. One funny incident was when we were leaving one night we asked a housekeeper that we saw if we could get our room cleaned (the Do Not Disturb was on all day) and were informed that they were out of supplies. Not a language issue as my wife is a native Hungarian speaker. We also found an old sock in our room from a prior guest.
- unsure if this is fair so you decide. After checking out we realized we left a couple items behind. We called the hotel (who were helpful) to check the room for the items as we knew exactly where they were. We were told that the highly efficient housekeeping team did not find them and would have noted them during the standard thorough post checkout cleaning. Did we lose them elsewhere and simply have a faulty memory? Possible. Did housekeeping see us checked out, find them and keep them? Also possible. I don't know but am a little uncomfortable with the situation.

Overall, a beautiful building with warm and helpful staff but with work needed to reach the next level.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank mikeandnoemi
Dear Valued Guest 'mikeandnoemi',

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I'm glad that overall you had an enjoyable experience with us. I'm happy to see that our staff you mention on the positive side but I'm really sorry you experienced inconveniences. I would kindly like to assure you that we went into details about the issue you experienced and we make additional efforts to provide an excellent experience for our guests.

Cape Elizabeth, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Absolutely beautiful property with amazing design. Incredible buffet breakfast, intimate bar w/nice Bar keep. 5 th floor, huge rm w/great bath. Only problem is No executive floor/lounge. Ouch! Would've stayed at the Marriott property on the river cause we love the upgrades & free stuff( food & bar).also, the lounge gives you a great place to hang out in, instead of sitting on your bed. Shame on me for not making sure that they had the executive floor. But the concierge was very helpful, the front desk staff welcoming. Good location for alot. Maybe a better place for business people? No view from the rm (530), other rms might be better?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hafkiwi
Dear Valued Guest 'Hafkiwi',

Thank you very much for your feedback about your stay with us at Boscolo Budapest, I'm glad to see that overall you had a nice stay with us.

Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Let me start by saying that I travel for a living and that most hotels are truly unremarkable and that their staff equally so. Suffice to say I am jaded when it comes to hotels and their staff.

The Boscolo literally blew away my expectations. First there is the hotel itself. Built in the late 1800's the former NY Life Insurance Building was impressive almost taking you back to a time when people were civil and caring. The rooms were exquisite and highly functional yet beautiful.

The food was outstanding in quality and presentation. Here all was just perfect.
Now to the staff. Let me first highlight a few people who truly went above and beyond: Tamas, Peter, Laraunt, and Gregory, one word to describe them AWESOME!!!! One other gentleman, who appeared to be Bell Captain whose name escapes me also did a masterful job of caring for our group.

If this staff could be exported to all hotels suffice to say that no one would ever again have a bad stay.

My hat is off to this hotel but especially to the staff who so clearly wanted our stay to be memorable. As an example of this we had an early flight out of Budapest 0430hrs departure from the hotel. The staff had "breakfast bags" for our party ready for us at check out. I was stunned to full lucidity at that early hour. These breakfast bags were full of goodies, baguette, baguette sandwich, delicious hand crafted chocolate bar, yogurt, juice, water, fresh apple and orange. It was truly thoughtful and amazing that someone got up with us and prepared our days meal.

I could not have ordered a more perfect stay

Amazing!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rafael A
Dear Valued Guest 'Rafael A',

Thank you very much for your precious time spent on providing your really kind feedback about your stay with us at Boscolo Budapest.
It's my greatest pleasure to see that we could provide a really enjoyable stay with us and I'm delighted to see that by going above and beyond our staff could make your stay exceptional.
Your kind words are much appreciated and I hope we'll have the chance to welcome you back upon your return to Budapest.