“Outstanding hotel, not the best location.”

Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection
Ranked #30 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Sao Paulo, SP
“Outstanding hotel, not the best location.”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Really beautiful building inside and out. Rooms are big, clean and fresh and so are the bathrooms with nice Etros amenities. We had a room with wall to wall window and a huge balcony overlooking the city. The interior design is modern and clean with lots of light coming from the outside.

Lobby is really beautiful and check-in process just average.

New York Cafe is so gorgeous that we ate there almost every day in our 5 days stay in Budapest.

The only reason why I did not give 5 stars is because of the location as it is not really a "walking distance" to the old part of the town. In addition, we did not feel at complete ease when walking back to the hotel at night. In terms of location I would have preferred Sofitel, Meridien, Intercontinental or Marriott.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DecYosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed in the hotel for 2 nights during my recent trip to Budapest. Both interior and the exterior of the hotel are fabulous! Impressive interiors, fantastic design and decors. Also the location is good with only 10-minutes walk from the main shopping (and restaurant) areas of downtown Budapest. The check-in experience was really good, everything took just a couple of minutes. The front desk personnel was up to the standard you would expect from the 5-star hotel. I also feel that the proper attention was given to the fact that I'm a Platinum member, which does not always happen in Marriott properties...

Moving forward, the room was really fantastic. Two room suite with the huge bathroom. Everything I needed was there and all the equipment was working. Nothing to complain here.

The only flaw of the hotel is really food. I ordered the room service and what I received was only average. Also the sides mentioned on the menu and the one that was served were different. The waiter who brought the food to the room had a very irritating habit of looking over my shoulder when I was signing the cheque... The breakfast was slightly better but I can easily name other hotels in Budapest which serves more interesting breakfasts. Thankfully, the hotel location is very good and you can eat outside without too much hassle.

I'm definitely going to stay in Boscolo again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

...we thought it was going to be perfect and it wasn't.

Some of the furniture in the room should not have been there as it had visible wear and tear (chipped chair, stained desk). The ceiling in the bathroom had a big stain from a previous leak upstairs. We wanted to have some tea in the business centre but there were no clean cups or tea when we visited.

Now that I've got the negatives out of the way, let's focus more on the positives!

First of all the building is an amazing masterpiece of architecture! I can honestly say it was the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed at. Every single time I walked into the main atrium, I couldn't help myself to take a picture. It is mesmerizingly beautiful.

We stayed four nights in a superior room, which had its own private balcony overlooking the boulevard. Fantastic view! The bed was really comfy but the real gem of the room was the massive bathroom. We loved the oversized bathtub!

The spa was good, although it only has a pool which has a bit of a jacuzzi at one end. On the other side of the wellness area there is a steam room and sauna. We only went once as we enjoyed our bathtub so much more. 4/5

The breakfast is served in the beautiful New York Cafe and there is so much to choose from. I loved waking up each morning and have breakfast in such a beautiful room. 5/5

When it comes to ratings I was hesitating between a 4 and a 5. I decided to give a 4 this time because of the problems we had. On the positive side though, at the end of our stay the hotel acknowledged the problems and offered us a free upgrade to a Junior Suite on our next visit.

Hopefully we can take advantage of the offer next year on our return to Budapest.

Room Tip: Superior room with a balcony
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robbie1984
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

It's a fabulous building encasing a hotel. Having stayed at a Boscolo before I was eager to stay here on my first trip to Budapest. First impressions not great, I was not greeted outside and helped with my luggage. I was only approached by a member of staff after I was in the pre- reception area. Check in very fairly smooth. I was not shown to my room and upon disembarking from the lift it was not obvious were my room was located, there were staff milling around but no one offered to help. As there is only one sign showing location of rooms and then there seemed to be lots of rooms off passageways, signage could be a bit better. Mmmm not sure what the job of the concierge is - gave us a few directions and maps but had to go to the front desk to arrange a restaurant reservation - who were excellent and very helpful. Rooms lovely, bed great, breakfast pretty good lots of homemade produce had a great waiter each time. Ate at the stunning New York Cafe a couple times - highly recommended. Also had a meal at the New York Salon, this is fine dining and is expensive but well worth it for a special occasion, service faultless. This is not a good looking location but there are travel systems available right on the doorstep to take you to the Banks of the Danube, Bascilica etc. I enjoyed the walk to these places. Not sure this establishment warrants 5 stars. If you want five star service go to Italy they know how to do it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank donmat1964
NewYorkPalaceGM, General Manager at Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest "donmat1964",

Thank you very much for staying with us and thank you very much for your precious time spent on providing your valued feedback.
First and foremost please accept my most sincere apologizes for the inconveniences you experienced upon your arrival by our not being able to provide our standards. I hope you may consider this issue as one off and not representative of our services in general we provide for our guests.
I would kindly like to assure you that we checked the reasons causing the lack of excellent service and we made new efforts to avoid such situations in the future.
I appreciate your feedback regarding the signage, I hope we'll have the chance to welcome you back and we can provide a service fully exceeding your expectations.
I do appreciate your kind comment regarding our Salon restaurant and your kind recommending our New York Cafe.

With kind regards,

Kinga ENGELBRECHT - General Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Check in took over 20 minutes, with just 1 clerk checking people in, this was at 7pm in the evening. Had a superior room and it was anything but superior. Very old, dated and poorly maintained. Had room service, which was of poor quality, badly cooked and very badly presented. Ordered an iron for the room (Despite website stating an iron is in each room, there wasn't), the iron never arrived. Check out the following morning was just as bad, 15 minutes standing in line. I did not have breakfast in the hotel so cannot comment on that.
Following my stay I was asked for feedback, which I gave to the Guest Relation's Email address stated - no response. I followed up with a later mail, also no response. It would appear that this hotel does not take complaints seriously.

I have stayed frequently in Budapest and around the world and this is the first time I have felt strongly enough about poor service and quality to write a review. I would recommend that if you want a good, well run, friendly, clean, modern hotel, stay in the Marriot Courtyard or the Radisson.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Redmolusk
Dear Valued Guest "Redmolusk",

Thank you for your valued feedback as it gives us great lead on fields in need for improvement.
First and foremost please accept my most sincere apologizes for the service not living up to our standards and the inconvenience this may caused.
I'm also sorry for the poor follow up as we take our guests' feedback seriously and we'll find out the reasons and circumstances causing this negative experience for you.

It would be our highest honor to win your trust in Boscolo Budapest back and please feel free to contact me directly if I may be at your further assistance.

With kind regards,

Kinga ENGELBRECHT - General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The location is close to the center of Pest and near all subway and tram hubs. The building was beautifully renovated and the cafe / restaurant area looks like an Italian baroque palace with a history. Very large rooms, helpful staff, delicious breakfast. The spa was also a pleasant a relaxing experience (although it was similar to the spa experience you would get in a luxury hotel - going to the real Budapest baths is more authentic and unforgettable).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dkny364
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I had the chance to spend a day at the Beautiful Boscolo Hotel in Budapest. The lobby is stunning, and the service very welcoming the minute you walk in. I got advice about things to see and do in Budapest, and other hotels within the chain that are good to visit as well. Although my room was not ready when I arrived, I was treated to a visit to the associated New York Cafe. This was one of the highlights of my trip. It is glamorous, and makes you feel like you have gone back in time. I liked both the feel of it, as well as the food itself, and ended up eating there twice more during my stay! It is nice to know that it now also has the backing of a major, reliable hotel chain, Marriott. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo