“Good for the Price”
Review of City Inn

City Inn
Ranked #88 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed May 3, 2012

The hotel is brand new (went there in 2011) and the staff was gentil. Good breakfast. We order a triple room - which was very big and had a bathtub in the middle of the room!! - but we only had one couple's bed and a couch that worked as a bed. The internet was a problem, very slow. The hotel is not in the center and we had to walk like 8-10 minutes to the metro station. Its not the nicest neighbour in the block, but was crowded and safe to walk. there were near by a big shoping, with restaurants, supermarket, bank and cinema. For the price - hotels in the center of budapest are very expensive - was worth.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The place is close to the metro and the tram stop, in about 10 minutes you get to the city centre. The hotel is very clean and receptionists always ready to help you. There is also one PC available in the lobby free of charge - excellent.The price of our stay was very reasonable. I recommend this place if you want to enjoy time in Budapest.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank RadkaBrno
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I have only good words to say about the time we've spent in March 2012 at City Inn.
The hotel staff was *extremely* nice and police, when we arrived the young lady at the reception gave us a city map, guides and fliers about Budapest, and explained how to reach the metro station etc.
The room that we got at a simple request/question was a one with a bathtub in the room, which was *incredible*, we enjoyed it very much!
I mean we got that room because I've asked if it's possible to get a room with a bathtub... like in the bath, but the lady gave us that room like a present, for free - it was 7th of March, and maybe she found it would be a nice gift for us. :D

Wireless signal at the 1st floor in the end of the coridor was also very good, or you can also get a cable to connect by wire.
The breakfast was simple, but very tasty and good, more so at the morning hours I prefer it to be simple :), so you should definitely get the breakfast as well.
On booking.com we got it at an offer and was included in the price, so very good deal, but even paid separate it's a fair/decent price for what you get I would say.

The hotel is like 150-200m away from the Corvin 'whatever' metro station, and from there you have like 3 stations till the city center, and connections to all the rest of the lines, at Corvin station there's the M3.

Negative side:
Nothing in particular to complain about, a suggestion maybe - the double room bed was made out of 2 parts, and they were not tight together, so my suggestion would be to get those fixed or have a single mattresses instead.

Room Tip: If you're a couple ask for a room with a bathtub inside the room. ;)
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris V
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I booked this hotel for two reasons: price and location. While the hotel claims to be four star, I suggest expect 3+ style accommodation to avoid disappointment.
I completely disagree with the previous reviews that the hotel is out of the way. There are indeed no tourist locations around but the hotel is just a minute walk from Budapest Blue metro (metro 3) line that can take you within 10 minutes to the center of the city. Also the hotel is located next to a shopping center where you can either have your breakfast or do some shopping or buy food in the supermarket.
The hotel staff is very accommodating and friendly. I have seen one of the reception girls being extremely patient with some tourist who was looking for some non-existent restaurant that he neither knew the exact name for nor approximate location. On my check out day I had a very important conference call and I have asked the staff to let me stay a little bit longer and they were also very accommodating.
Breakfast at the hotel is basic: coffee, some eggs, juice and seasonal fruit. If you do not eat much for breakfast, you will be fine. One advice: get to the breakfast room early. The food seems to disappear very quickly and if you arrive 30 minutes before breakfast time ends, expect to have just bread and coffee and some half dead fruit bits. If you have an option, do opt out for no breakfast room rate and just have your coffee somewhere in the city.
Rooms are clean and new: the hotel was recently built. Rooms are nicely decorated but rather small, although they do have a bath tub which is a nice thing to have at the end of a cold day in Budapest. Soap, shampoo and shower gel is provided. Pillows and blankets are not of highest quality so do ask for an extra pillow. Rooms are very well isolated, so the noise from the street or other rooms is almost non-existent.
All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are on a shoestring but still want to enjoy some good hotel amenities.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank elenkahu
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Literally got back home yesterday and I had to wrtie a review for City Inn because I really enjoyed my stay here. First off - the location is great!! I dont understand earlier reviews that its out of the way, maybe its my new york state of mind but the metro was 4 blocks away and it took you anywhere fast! Also, I am a 29 female solo traveler&I felt perfectly safe walking back to the place at 4am-The neighborhood is fine!-The staff couldn't have been nicer, they helped me with everything, cabs, places to party, where to eat, what to see..could not have a nicer group of people working there and are happy to help you! -The mall down the street was awesome too, I dont usually go to malls but I got into town too early to check in so I went to the mall and loved it!(..def check out Mueller's if you go, I could spend all day in that store.) The room was a lot larger than I couldve hoped for..it is def nicer in person than the pictures!! I am sure that one could stay closer to city centre but I thought this place was great!The location was not so terribly far away from anything you want to see, it is a safe area, great staff and I would def recommend this place and stay here again!! City Inn you rock! :)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed had the City Inn for 4 days. The hotel is a bit out of the way but the tourist center is easily accessible on foot (20 minutes) or by public transport. Budapest is well served by a slightly dated but very clean metro system. the metros are well complimented by modern trams and an aging bus fleet. We arrived by train at the Kelety train station. Taxi drivers tried to trick us into giving up on getting to the hotel by metro because of construction in front of the station (they are adding a new metro line). The construction has no impact on the current lines. You take the metro on the left of the station- can be found by taking the stairway downstairs from street level. Once you figure this out, it is very easy to take the metro to the City Inn. There is a metro station a couple of streets from the City Inn.
The City Inn is located in an area that is undergoing big changes. A new shopping center and apartment complex opened a few buildings away. The main road to get to the City Inn is a bit run down and has no restaurants worth mentionning. However, there is a street not far away that runs parallel with the main street called Ulloi. This street called Raday is packed with restaurants with outdoor terraces. Back to hotel itself: rooms are modern and fairly large (ours was larger than standard, room 515); AC; rooms are clean; a bit more attention from the cleaning ladies is required - 1 little shampoo bottle for 2 for a four day stay, no refill of soap bottles; breasfast is good but limited in choice - the juice isn't drinkable. One thing that would have been nice is a balcony in the room.Most of the rooms do not have a balcony even though there would be place for one in the rooms that face the courtyard.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cookie1010
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Really nice hotel. Close to a shopping mall that has many international brands, relatively close to the center.
The staff was great, really really helpful!
The only problem I had was with the breakfast which had the same food everyday, and at some point I get annoyed. Other than that, great!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family