“Everything is all right”

Friends Hostel Budapest
Ranked #32 of 658 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
“Everything is all right”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with my friends in the female dormitory. These days were wonderful. The hostel is in the heart of the city, in the vicinity of every notable tourist spot. The rooms and the bathroom was very neat, they were cleaned daily. The staff did everything in order to make us feel good, they suggested several programmes and parties. We even got breakfast one morning! Alltogether the staff was very kind, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here for 4 nights in a double room, which was very spacious, well looked after and (thankfully) had a fan.

If you're looking for a clean, well-located quiet place to rest your head, then I'd say this hostel is fine.

A few grievances: on arrival we were asked to remove our shoes before we were even through the door and got quite a short response when asking about one of the many signs. In that instance the sign was security-related, but the hostel is covered in other less necessary notices, the tone of which weren't particularly welcoming.

One of the signs did tell us about work going on in the hostel. However, we felt we should have been informed that the work would be going on in our room whilst we were out for the day.

Also, on arrival we weren't given a map of the city or any local info on transport or places to go/eat/drink, which I've always appreciated when arriving at other hostels even if I know where I'm going. It's the little things like this on which I would recommend a hostel to a friend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Friends hostel this week and I feel compelled to write a review. I have frequented many hostels around Europe and some in North America as well, and in my life, had the opportunity to stay in some Luxury hotels as well (travelling with parents in your late teens). I work in the service industry in Canada and I am always in observation of cleanliness, comfort and composure of service providers.

I mention hotel systems because this hostel really borders on being one. Friends hostel is actually divided into two separate spaces; one of them is funkily decorated with bizarre illustrations of cities and animals, perfect for young travellers who want a nice, accessible quiet place to stay.
The other side of their hostel is a beautifully renovated flat space that rivals some luxury hotels. From memory foam mattresses to soft and fresh linens, hardwood floors, and double beds. A shower AND a jacuzzi in TWO separate bathrooms. A triple bed room will cost you around 50 euros a night, at the accommodation means the place is posh without the price.

The hostel manager, Jack was nice enough to put my friends from France and I up in a quiet triple room. When my friend from England joined our party, she got a single room in the luxury section of the hostel. She loves to take baths and I think she spent more time in the Hostel's Jacuzzi bath than in any of the thermal ones Budapest has to offer.

This place has a way of making you respect it like it is your own home. I think it may be the polite request to remove shoes before entering and cleaning up after yourself within the toilets and showers. Coming home late at night, it felt like it was my own flat. My company agreed, and respected it just as much.

When I wanted to stay an extra night, Jack had to move me from the funky side of the hostel to the luxury suite. WHAT A TREAT. The beds were so comfortable and Jack was nice enough to give me the room with the double bed, which I promptly took advantage after going out to the bars.

This hostel really is perfect for a triple person family or group of friends. I saw many couples in this hostel, since it provides the comfort, privacy and security of a hotel but does not hit you as hard in the wallet.

I don't know what else to say about this place, it really is a gem of Budapest. The surrounding neighbourhood is full of great bars, including the famed Ruin pubs. There are delicious restaurants in the vicinity as well as shopping (boutique to second hand). Easy access to the subway line, but close enough to the center - you'll find yourself happy to call Friends hostel your home base.

One of your best options, without a doubt.

Room Tip: If you're a family, ask for the luxury side, it's not any more expensive and it's a tast...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The manager of this hostel was actually a very smart man, knowing we had no where to go and no other option he used every available opportunity to scam money out of everyone. Untidy shoes and generally talking as we were leaving became reasons for monetary compensation.
So if you plan on having a fairly cheap holiday I would recommend looking for another hostel, maybe one in which you will not be constantly threatened through fabricated issues every single morning.
Other than that the hostel was in fact better than some hotels I have stayed in and was in a very good and convient location. I suppose the managements crazed rants and ravings are actually quite entertaining if you don't mind a eviction notice with your cup of tea in the morning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
streaman, Manager at Friends Hostel Budapest, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Students of the University of York, Emily S, amy_klasw_92, KINGMALIES, Alex H,

Almost all of our negative reviews are received from your group, and compare it with the huge number of positive ones.

As I see you are very good at spreading our bad reputation, and personally mine (Jack / (your remarks in regards the way I speak with you, and the fact I asked a damage deposit))
, but I am not surprised that you forgot to inform the publicity about what happened exactly.

Well, maybe we made a mistake when receiving a group of 40, mainly rude students, youngsters without teachers (the first request was about a smaller group of cca 25 persons),
but how could we have known, that you behave yourselves like (I am really sorry but i do not have better word) animals?

From the 4 days/96 hours you stayed at us you were totally drunk during cca 70 hours
You used our showers as toilettes (and the results were visible...)
You turned our whole building inside out and upside down, letting no rest at all to other guests and all the house residence with all the shoutings, noise, curse - they reported us to the policy because of you...thanks.
and you were not the first student or stag groups-and we could communicate and cooperate with each of them, apart from yours
Just mentioning a few facts, should I continue...
When we decided that after all we can not accommodate your group from the third night we changed our mind - it was also a mistake from our side - because of some crying girls and you could stay.
You are really grateful, don't you think so?

Kids, this is a shame. and you are university students??? If I were you, I would keep this as secret for the rest of my life...
I hope we will never ever have such guests/groups as yours..
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The time in this hostel was amazing and my class and I enjoyed it so much. The week was amazing and we won't forget it.
The rooms are small and clean, like the whole hostel. It's very comfortable and nice.
Thank you friends hostel!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank hyha
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Very nice and comfortable. The rooms are clean and the bathroom also. All in all a really nice hostel an perfect for a small budget. Good very good i like it very much i need 200 words wasn los hier? There is not much to say it is really nice and very central it is the best way to stay in budapest.

• Stayed June 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a double room at Friends hostel and had a lovely time. The hostel is very central and the directions for arrival were very straight forward to follow. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly woman at reception who gave us loads of information on the city and places to go out and to eat. The Canteena she recommended was fantastic, 3 courses for 2500ft!

We booked a private double room but were actually given an apartment. It was really nice, a great bathroom, very clean, kitchen, and comfortable bed. I can definitely recommend this hostel for a comfortable and friendly place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple