“Simple, but very nice”

Ranked #430 of 658 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Brno, Czech Republic
“Simple, but very nice”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

A great value hostel in the centre of Budapest. Rooms were clean and the staff was very helpful. Our room was newly equipped and although is was quite small and simple, it provided just everything we needed. Unfortunately we did not have a double bed, but we could put our beds together.
The only negative is the broken plumbing that makes really strange noises... they should really do something with it :-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I initially thought I had booked a hotel but in the end I was so glad I hadn't. I landed way before the time I specified by email and also a bit worse for wear but staff were so sound about it. A special mention to Stephanie who was like a latter day Florence Nightingale trying to get a room ready and just being brilliantly helpful. A personal touch which I think would be lacking in a hotel.
The living room and kitchen areas were very cosy and the hand written notes about the place gave it all a homey feel. The bedroom was nice and simple and the breakfast tastey. I thought the place was very clean and the location central and it was right beside the metro.
Although it was hostel, it didn't have that crazy feel about it and felt more like relaxing at home. So whether it's the bird or the founder of modern nursing it's named after, Nightingale is an apt name!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
Reviewed February 23, 2012

This place is definitely more of a hostel than a hotel, but the rooms made up for everything else. The staff were friendly and seemed interested in doing whatever they could to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The only strange thing was that the rooms didnt have proper curtains, so it was very bright very quickly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Daqing,China
Reviewed June 15, 2011

This place is without doubt my favourite hostel i have ever stayed in. I mainly travel with my partner so i prefer quieter hostels to party hostels.

Liked=staff,kitchen,dorm room decor, beds, free breakfast,book exchange, ambience.

Disliked= literally nothing

Room Tip: Indian theme dorm had great decor
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cork
Reviewed May 15, 2011

The hostel offers 'private rooms', which are in fact not in the hostel at all, they are in an adjoining apartment owned by an elderly couple. While the set up is unusual, it does give travellers a chance to stay in a real Hungarian home and myself and my companions decided we were ok with this.
However, due to a breakdown in communication, we were meant to stay until noon check out and instead when we happened to wake about 10a.m, were confronted by the owner of the apartment shouting at us in Hungarian. It seems that the couple who owned the apartment were meant to leave that day and had explained to the hostel owners we needed to be gone by 9a.m We were never informed of this and if we had been we would not have stayed as we purposely booked into the hostel to get as much sleep as possible.

To be fair, the owner of the hostel did give us a half refund, but there was some confusion about whether we paid, he hadn't given us a receipt and couldn't remember and we had to insist that we actually had. We weren't able to use the washing/drying facilities. Overall, the refund didn't make up for the fact that it wasn't a good experience, there doesn't seem to be much organisation

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I think this is one of the best places in the city, at least for travelers who enjoy being in the city environment.

First, the location. It is literally right on top of the Blaha Luzja ter metro station. I visit Budapest frequently and I think this is the best area for me - there are many Accor hotels in the area and a new Courtyard. I like this area because it is the hub of many major public transport lines - metro, bus and tram - and you can get anywhere in Budapest from here. However, it is in the middle of the working city - it is not "charming old Budapest". There is noise from the traffic in the intersection. If your intent is to be in a location where you can get to anywhere, this is great, but it might not be perfect for everyone.

For me, a reliable internet connection is critical, and the Mandragora was great. I used my laptop extensively - internet was free, fast, and never dropped out.

I had the opposite problem of a previous visitor - to me, the room was too hot (in December). I found the temperature adjustment on the radiator and turned it off, opened the window, and the room temperature was fine in a few minutes. There is no air conditioning.

I was given a large room with a comfortable bed. I wish there was a desk and chair, as I was using my laptop, but I managed.

The shower was OK - the water temperature was fine, the pressure just OK. I didn't have the problem of a previous poster with the plumbing - I found the plumbing to be fine. There was a shower curtain on the shower - this is not always guaranteed in Budapest.

About the reception... as a previous poster commented, the one person working reception also cleans rooms on the first and third floors. It would certainly be a good idea to telephone the hotel before arriving. In the Blaha Luzja ter metro station (just down the steps from the hotel entrance) there are public phones that work with coins. At the main door to the hotel, there is a buzzer that has a mobile phone number listed. (When dialing locally, preface the number with 06 to replace the +36.) When I arrived, I got lucky and the receptionist answered the buzzer and let me in. But she told me almost immediately that it is good to call the mobile if I needed anything.

For me, this place was nearly perfect. For someone looking to be in the touristic old city, the location would not be suitable. Overall, I was very happily impressed.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank bobby_l
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Really a cool and relaxing place to sleep in Budapest

Stayed May 2007, traveled solo